back mount

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
im sort anew to the bjj (white belt) we just started it at my tkd academy about a yr ago and i decided to start a few weeks ago, we are part of the wolf pack, now whats the easiest way to go into a back mount without trying to be too obvious?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
im sort anew to the bjj (white belt) we just started it at my tkd academy about a yr ago and i decided to start a few weeks ago, we are part of the wolf pack, now whats the easiest way to go into a back mount without trying to be too obvious?
Depends upon where you're starting. From guard, an arm drag is one good way, or from a deep underhook.

I like to cup their elbow as they posture up and drive it across their body as I break down their posture. If it ends up high, I can work for an armbar or a head/arm choke. If it's nice and low, pinned between their body and mine, I can begin to work to their back.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Great point. Often, from mount, your opponent will give up his back. I tend to try and snag an arm when this happens, but if you ride it out, you'll often end up on his back.

OP
firerex

firerex

Orange Belt
Reaction score
would an armbar to omoplata to rear naked choke work since his back would be exposed depending on the direction of the other moves

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
would an armbar to omoplata to rear naked choke work since his back would be exposed depending on the direction of the other moves
Omoplata more than the armbar, I would think. From the omoplata, if the technique is blown, you're likely to end up with a turtled opponent. Taking the back is one of many possibilities from there.

Latest Discussions