Awareness Training (While Blindfolded)

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Watching them blindfold you and spin you around before starting reminded me of similar drills that I trained as a child. But they involved donkey tails and piñatas and always ended with candy. :D

IMO blindfolded training involving various forms of contact training such as clinch-work, grappling, and blindfolded chi-sau are very useful.

I'm not so sure about stalking opponents in a darkened room, but then I've developed a hearing loss over the years and since having COVID, I don't smell my training partners as strongly as I used too ...and frankly, that's a blessing! ;)
Fully agree. This took me back to nights of frog hunting and creek fishing with no light. You learn very quickly to react to what is around you. You can literally 'feel' your environment.

OP
Yamabushii

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
You already spammed reddit with this. We all did it as kids with pin the tail on the donkey and blind mans buff. Now you want adults to do it?

You clearly have the wrong person. I've never made a single post on Reddit.

OP
Yamabushii

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
But it wasnt a drill. It was kids game.

You're missing the point of the drill and, based on your other comments in the thread, you're trying hard to get some attention so I'll respond to you.

What we are NOT doing:
- randomly swinging to hit your opponent like a piñata
- training to develop a super power
- training to fight villains while blindfolded

What we ARE doing:
- learning to trust senses other than just eye sight
- learning to calm your mind when any noise can be a distraction
- learning to feel/figure out someone's proximity to you in places where there is poor light

Yes, many of us would be blind folded and hit piñatas as children. Thanks for your constant reminders. Did everyone continue to train that way as they grew up? Did you?

For someone who has claimed to teach for 40 years in Japan, it's surprising you first wouldn't approach a new concept with questions instead of accusations instead. Or...is it that you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What we ARE doing:
- learning to trust senses other than just eye sight
- learning to calm your mind when any noise can be a distraction
- learning to feel/figure out someone's proximity to you in places where there is poor light
Yes, many of us would be blind folded and hit piñatas as children.
What I learned playing Pin the tail on the Donkey: You can see just enough looking down your nose through gaps in the blindfold to win. And if you don't, you can bet that Johnny James will!

As for piñatas, better just miss if you´ve got the blindfold on. The bystanders who can see get the most candy when the thing breaks open!
1664468942249.png

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got a good game for training awareness.

Huaquan (划拳). 700+ year old game (probably 2,000+), can also be played blindfolded.

Last edited:
OP
Yamabushii

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
What I learned playing Pin the tail on the Donkey: You can see just enough looking down your nose through gaps in the blindfold to win. And if you don't, you can bet that Johnny James will!

As for piñatas, better just miss if you´ve got the blindfold on. The bystanders who can see get the most candy when the thing breaks open!
View attachment 28970

Congrats!

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Holy **** they're laughing about it but this could have been very dangerous 🐢

Latest Discussions