What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• $Avg_fuel_prices.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 158

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Still cheaper than bottled water. Although, I think that says more about our decision to purchase bottled water than anything about petroleum distillate.

The recent crash in fuel prices is interesting.
Something about it reminds me of the rolling blackouts in California in 2001.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it ignores inflation in general... yes, gas costs more than it used to - but so does everything else! Also, when I was in Great Britain last summer, gas there was 99.9 pence/liter - that's about $8/gallon... so even at $3/gallon (and now down to ~$2.50) I'm not going to complain too much.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have been loving it here. I'm just waiting for it to get down below $2. Saving about $10 a fill up now.

Was interesting to see the averages over the years. Thanks for sharing!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Saw it for $2.10 up here and filled up...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We'll probably see a rise around mid-November. The talking heads will say something about heating costs...

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The attached was sent to me via e-mail.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Were we better off then when we rolled into the filling station in 1972 than we are today? No, because our cars get 60 to 70 percent better mileage today than in 1972 (22.4 miles per gallon versus 13.5 miles per gallon). That more than offsets the 10.5 percent increase in gas prices adjusted for change in inflation and income from then to now.

Now let's put the recent price increase in terms of real outlays. The average household is spending $136 more on gasoline every month than it was in 1998 and $114 per month more than it were spending in 2002. But, believe it or not, real (inflation-adjusted) disposable income per household has increased even faster than have pump prices; by $800 a month since 1998 and $279 a month since 2002.
Accordingly, Americans are still, on average, economically ahead of the game.

There's more here in the article.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess if everyone had business and were selling a hot commodity; you would all mark it down and give it away, right? If someone is willing the pay the higher prices, they will always be around.

It is called capitalism, it has been around for ages! :)

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Your clairvoyance is amazing. That you know why I remember rolling blackouts in January of 2001. That is just awesome.

That, somehow, you know I was in California, (San Ramon, specifically), in January of 2001. And that I experienced the rolling blackouts as I had to several times, usher myself and my colleagues out of our home office building. It certainly was memorable. It was also memorable because my wife had some challenges in the house while I was in California. We had put a new furnace in the house that prior fall, and in January, while I was in California, the furnace died.

But, really, it is amazing. You are just so ****ing smart. You KNOW why I remember those rolling black outs.

Oh, and attached is my screen capture of my Outlook Calendar.

Attachments

• $calendar.jpg
    $calendar.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 131

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your clairvoyance is amazing. That you know why I remember rolling blackouts in January of 2001. That is just awesome.

That, somehow, you know I was in California, (San Ramon, specifically), in January of 2001. And that I experienced the rolling blackouts as I had to several times, usher myself and my colleagues out of our home office building. It certainly was memorable. It was also memorable because my wife had some challenges in the house while I was in California. We had put a new furnace in the house that prior fall, and in January, while I was in California, the furnace died.

But, really, it is amazing. You are just so ****ing smart. You KNOW why I remember those rolling black outs.

Oh, and attached is my screen capture of my Outlook Calendar.

Please Sir, I meant the other reason. The reason that got you so defensive and excited.

Also, I didn't mean to bring up such painful memories. I sincerely hope your day improves.

All the best,
crushing

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please Sir, I meant the other reason. The reason that got you so defensive and excited.

Also, I didn't mean to bring up such painful memories. I sincerely hope your day improves.

All the best,
crushing

What other reason?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is around 2.37 for regular around here right now Thats down a lot from what it was but I expect it will go higher the closer we get to the holidays

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not completely miserable living in the Midwest.

My last fill up was at $1.93 :)

I wish... my last fill-up was $2.49/gallon, and that's the cheapest I've seen lately.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Curiousity has gotten the best of me. So why are you reminded of the rolling blackouts in 2001? :confused:

The timing ....
the power generating plants were going offline at just the crucial moments to drive prices up. Californians were screaming about the costs down the road. Recall these blackouts ended up driving Gray Davis from office.

The timing here ....
We have all seen price spikes before. After Katrina, prices jumped pretty precipitously. The discussion is always that "Prices Go Up Fast, and Come Down Slow". In the past month, it seems odd that the prices have crashed, dropping 4 or 5 cents per day.

Some may argue its competition and the free market .... but, if you examine the history, this behavior is not in synch with behaviors past. Just makes you wonder why.

P.S. I will again put in a plug for ... www.gasbuddy.com ... it is defensive driving for the fuel cost concious.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The timing ....
the power generating plants were going offline at just the crucial moments to drive prices up. Californians were screaming about the costs down the road. Recall these blackouts ended up driving Gray Davis from office.

The timing here ....
We have all seen price spikes before. After Katrina, prices jumped pretty precipitously. The discussion is always that "Prices Go Up Fast, and Come Down Slow". In the past month, it seems odd that the prices have crashed, dropping 4 or 5 cents per day.

Some may argue its competition and the free market .... but, if you examine the history, this behavior is not in synch with behaviors past. Just makes you wonder why.

P.S. I will again put in a plug for ... www.gasbuddy.com ... it is defensive driving for the fuel cost concious.

I read an article that stated that The President of Venezuela would continue to sell Cheap Oil so those that were cold in NY City and elsewhere in the US could get geat. Of course that Pres does not like the Pres of the USA.

I agree it goes up real fast and comes down slow.

I paid $2.09 today for Regular Unleaded and $2.19 for Mid-Grade

Latest Discussions