association checking?

A

angrywhitepajamas

How would one go about checking to see if an association or an instructor is the real deal?? Ie I have found a pair of teachers in my area who claim to practice kenjustu, and while I am interested, I have no Idea on how to ascertain if they are the real deal. Add to the fact that I am slightly suspicious of them due to the fact that I have heard that the american kenjutsu association is less than a few hundred people. Was this information correct?? And again how would I verify the validity and authenticity of these teachers and organizations?

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by angrywhitepajamas
How would one go about checking to see if an association or an instructor is the real deal?? Ie I have found a pair of teachers in my area who claim to practice kenjustu, and while I am interested, I have no Idea on how to ascertain if they are the real deal. Add to the fact that I am slightly suspicious of them due to the fact that I have heard that the american kenjutsu association is less than a few hundred people. Was this information correct?? And again how would I verify the validity and authenticity of these teachers and organizations?
Ask around, go to websites, etc.

It isn't shocking that an American-based kenjutsu organization doesn't have a lot of people. Kendo maybe, but real kenjutsu schools are as rare as seven legs on an insect. With kenjutsu schools, they tend to be condensed in one area while almost nonexistant in other places.

They practice kenjutsu? That's great, you're lucky that there's even a kenjutsu school around. Do you know what style of kenjutsu they study?

OP
R

Rick Tsubota

To find a kenjutsu school you may want contact the Japanese Embassy or Consolate in you area. They can give you information on any Japan Society groups that might be in your are too which may have some sort of club.

OP
S

Shuri-te

I would imagine that in the San Francisco area there may be several schools to choose from. If not, and you really want to train in Kenjutsu, why wouldn't you want to give this school a try.

If you visit the dojo and the students train hard, and it looks like what you want, what would it matter whether they have some formal affiliation with a Japanese system.

This idea of associations has received a whole lot of attention lately. I for one can't seem to understand why. Good instruction, is good instruction, is good instruction, regardless of any Asian affiliation.

There are lots of reasons Americans choose to break away from Asian-based organizations. Money is often a factor. Obnoxious politics can be another. There are others.

The thing I understand the least is that people seem to think that time training in an unaffiliated system could be wasted time. But time spent training in a good system is never wasted time.

It almost sounds like people believe that if they were to train in unaffiliated dojo A for 5 years, that affililiated dojo B would never take them as a student. In my opinion if dojo B wouldn't take someone with 5 years training, then you should really beware of dojo B. They sound like losers.

Some seem to be worried that their rank might not be recognized. This is the most mystifying to me. Isn't the goal to train? IMHO, many people just might be better served if they could make rank issues secondary. I passed my black belt test in 1980. Since then, I have been in dozens of schools, mostly karate. Whenever I visit a new dojo, I always bring a white belt as well, because many schools don't recognize my rank, and the custom is to have all new students where white belts.

Does this make a difference to me. It does, but not like you might think. I like wearing a white belt. I like being reminded that in this world of many arts, I am really a beginner at so many of them. It also kind of takes the pressure off. I can relax more, and don't feel like I have to compete with some brown belt who would like to prove my former training wasn't worth all that much. (Believe me, this is not uncommon.)

One really strong influence for me comes from Taika Oyata. He and his senior students wear white belts. I don't know all the reasons for it, and frankly really don't care. It is just a great symbol to me. It makes a white belt very respectable, as it should be.

I always tell people it is the teacher, not the system that matters. If the teacher is a good person, and his art is good and his students are good, then you will probably benefit from training with him. And in the long run, IMHO, that is all that really matters.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Shuri-te
I would imagine that in the San Francisco area there may be several schools to choose from. If not, and you really want to train in Kenjutsu, why wouldn't you want to give this school a try.

If you visit the dojo and the students train hard, and it looks like what you want, what would it matter whether they have some formal affiliation with a Japanese system.

This idea of associations has received a whole lot of attention lately. I for one can't seem to understand why. Good instruction, is good instruction, is good instruction, regardless of any Asian affiliation.

There are lots of reasons Americans choose to break away from Asian-based organizations. Money is often a factor. Obnoxious politics can be another. There are others.

The thing I understand the least is that people seem to think that time training in an unaffiliated system could be wasted time. But time spent training in a good system is never wasted time.

It almost sounds like people believe that if they were to train in unaffiliated dojo A for 5 years, that affililiated dojo B would never take them as a student. In my opinion if dojo B wouldn't take someone with 5 years training, then you should really beware of dojo B. They sound like losers.

Some seem to be worried that their rank might not be recognized. This is the most mystifying to me. Isn't the goal to train? IMHO, many people just might be better served if they could make rank issues secondary. I passed my black belt test in 1980. Since then, I have been in dozens of schools, mostly karate. Whenever I visit a new dojo, I always bring a white belt as well, because many schools don't recognize my rank, and the custom is to have all new students where white belts.

Does this make a difference to me. It does, but not like you might think. I like wearing a white belt. I like being reminded that in this world of many arts, I am really a beginner at so many of them. It also kind of takes the pressure off. I can relax more, and don't feel like I have to compete with some brown belt who would like to prove my former training wasn't worth all that much. (Believe me, this is not uncommon.)

One really strong influence for me comes from Taika Oyata. He and his senior students wear white belts. I don't know all the reasons for it, and frankly really don't care. It is just a great symbol to me. It makes a white belt very respectable, as it should be.

I always tell people it is the teacher, not the system that matters. If the teacher is a good person, and his art is good and his students are good, then you will probably benefit from training with him. And in the long run, IMHO, that is all that really matters.
Rank is a bigger matters in making new organizations nowadays than politics. That's why you see so many "10th dan sokes" out there.

OP
R

Rick Tsubota

IOne really strong influence for me comes from Taika Oyata. He and his senior students wear white belts. I don't know all the reasons for it, and frankly really don't care. It is just a great symbol to me. It makes a white belt very respectable, as it should be.

I got my shodan from Oyata Sensei back in Okinawa in 1969.
He and his students now where what are called "nobakama" in Japanese. They look kind of like hakama but don't flare out in the legs.
Wearing all white in Japanese tradition has 2 meanings.
One is beginer and the other is expert or going back to beginer. Which kind of means you are always a beginer.
Hope it is understandable.

OP
S

Shuri-te

Rick,

Thank you for that clarification. It was what I had thought. You have a very interesting background. Okinawa Kempo, Motobu Ryu, Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu. What art do you primarily train in?

OP
R

Rick Tsubota

Rick,

Thank you for that clarification. It was what I had thought. You have a very interesting background. Okinawa Kempo, Motobu Ryu, Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu. What art do you primarily train in?

I mainly train in Oyata Sensei's style. When I was in Okinawa I found it to be the most realistic and practical compared to the others I saw.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been involved in the arts in the San Francisco Bay Area for quite a while now. Who do you want to find out about? Although its possible that I haven't heard of them either given the fact that the bay is full of martial arts. My first art, Kajukenbo blossemed well here.:asian:

OP
S

Shuri-te

Rick Tsubota said:
I mainly train in Oyata Sensei's style.

I have read that Motobu Ryu also has a "ti" focus. I am not sure there is even much in the way of kata. Can you share a little about this system, and Master Uehara.

Where do you train? Is Machida in or near one of the cities?

OP
R

Rick Tsubota

Rick Tsubota said:

I have read that Motobu Ryu also has a "ti" focus. I am not sure there is even much in the way of kata. Can you share a little about this system, and Master Uehara.

Where do you train? Is Machida in or near one of the cities?

Machida is the name of the city that I live in.
It is South west of Tokyo. I moved here in 1986 from Furenma, Okinawa.

They do have kata. Motobu te ichi , Motobu te ni and so on which look like sanchin type kata but are prcaticed differently without all the hissing and tension done in the goju style.
Much time is spent on ti exercises which is one of the primary points of the art.
Uehara Sensei is a very serious martial artist and likr most Okinawan teachers will not show things openly so much. He usually lets you feel them and then you try to discover them for yourself. He is also extremely strong.
Kobudo is also practiced. Motobu Ryu practices many weapons that are not normally included in Okinawan kobudo. For example the mountain knife which looks like a machetti, as well as chinese broad sword.

OP
A

angrywhitepajamas

Akja,
I am more south bay than san fran at the moment. The kenjutsu school that I was looking at was in palo alto, but they closed down. Supposedly the instructor is now teaching out of his home near eastridge mall on Tully ave. Thats all I know for now. Its pretty sketchy info, but i'll find them eventually. Do you know Of any kenjutsu groups down here???

OP
M

MartialArtist

Akja,
I am more south bay than san fran at the moment. The kenjutsu school that I was looking at was in palo alto, but they closed down. Supposedly the instructor is now teaching out of his home near eastridge mall on Tully ave. Thats all I know for now. Its pretty sketchy info, but i'll find them eventually. Do you know Of any kenjutsu groups down here???
Palo Alto, huh? Pretty expensive.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Akja,

Sorry, I haven't heard of any Kenjutsu near Eastridge.

I have a closeknit group in San Jose. I teach my expanded version of Jun Fan with Jujitsu. We are working towards breaking off and opening up sattelite schools in Fresno and the Delta areas and possibly Watsonville and Southern Ca. The Fresno and Delta areas are my thing and the other areas are my family members possible areas of relocation.

My email is in my profile if you want to talk and maybe train sometime.

:asian: