As we move into the annual academic testing season...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This may very well come off as a bit of a rant - and I apologize in advance for the length - but as a teacher, education is something I feel strongly about. My entire career is guided by a high stakes, annual exam required of all students between 3rd and 10th grade by the woefully misnamed "No Child Left Behind" law, more correctly named the "Elementary and Secondary Education Act" (ESEA - complete text here).

Now, I realize that the annual exam varies somewhat from state to state, so all comments I make here are based on the Colorado State Assessment Program (CSAP). Given as directed, this test requires a minimum of 3 days, with 3 1-hour testing sessions on each day, 1 day each for Reading, Writing, and Math (and remember, this is for kids - ages 8-16), all of which must be completed within 2 weeks; students in grades 5, 8, and 10 must also take another test, in Science, which requires a 4th day with 3 1-hour testing sessions. These are children, remember - and one of my TKD students told me that one of the reasons his child is in private school is because he thinks it is absurd to give a test to elementary students that takes twice as long as he took to take the Bar exam.

This test is, supposedly, intended to provide feedback to teachers so that they can improve their instruction... but the test is given in March, the scores are not available before school lets out, and even if they were, they are compared year to year (that is, 3rd graders who take the test in 2007 are compared to 3rd graders who took the test in 2006) - rather useless from the viewpoint of improving instruction, as the only thing those 2 groups may have in common is the neighborhood they live in and the school they attend. I will give Colorado's new governor this - he is planning to change the reporting structure such that students will be compared to themselves over time (that is, Child A's scores from 2007 will be compared to Child A's previous scores from 2006) - a much more meaningful way to use this information, because it will allow teachers to track growth over time, and to look for patterns in skill weaknesses. Nonetheless, the current method (year to year) is the one mandated by law.

One of the primary concerns I, as a special education teacher, have with this test is that ESEA/NCLB is in direct conflict with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA 2004 - the current incarnation of the special education law); ESEA/NCLB requires that the vast majority of students be tested without modifications or accommodations that are mandated by IDEA 2004 - thus giving an inaccurate picture of students with disabilities when compared to their peers, and further convincing students with learning problems, who are confronted by a test that is often too hard, and without the aids that allow them to participate with their peers, that they are stupid - which they aren't, but many of them see their friends do the same work (or harder) with greater ease, and this test rubs their faces in it in a way I find unconscionable - but I cannot take those test days off, because I will not leave my students to face the damn thing alone.

Another concern I have is the number of people who think teachers don't want to be accountable for what they teach - the supposed rationale for ESEA/NCLB. I'm all for accountability - but an annual, high-stakes exam is not the way to get it. Learning occurs all year, and at highly variable rates (and due to quite a few variables outside the schools' control) - good teachers are constantly assessing their students (formally and informally) so that they can adjust their teaching methods appropriately to the needs of the students - but that only works when the information comes quickly - results obtained months later have little, if any, benefit.

Yet another concern is the cost. As with other programs pushed on the states by the federal government (the drinking age comes to mind as a comparison), this is an unfunded mandate; in fact, schools who don't comply with the annual testing requirement lose all of their federal funding - to the extent that many smaller districts choose to skip the test, because the lost funding (as badly as it is needed) is less than the cost of actually administering the damn test. Schools that administer the test but perform poorly risk further loss of funds, and may potentially be taken over by the state, while schools that perform well may be awarded additional funding. This is going to improve the quality of education, how?

Then there is the opinion of the students. They hate it. It's several days of high stress that they don't want or need, and have little or no investment in. They don't get graded for it. They don't get class credit. Their schedules are completely rearranged to meet the needs of 1-hour testing blocks - impossible in a daily schedule built of 47-minute classes - so the first day is spent making sure all the kids are in the right room.... but you can't take too long doing that, or you won't be able to start the first session on time, which will screw up the whole rest of the day (if you're lucky) or the rest of the week (if you're unlucky). In fact, it's so bad that the local NBC news affiliate is reporting on student groups that are trying to cajole, coerce, or otherwise convince their peers to take the test seriously - because many students blow it off; it has no real meaning for them, because it has no effect on their lives.

So what triggered this rant this time? I opened my work email, and found the following notice:

The District has not made AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress) in the same content areas (reading and math) for two consecutive years. We made 92.72 percent of our targets, but still did not make AYP.

As a result of not making 100 percent of the AYP targets, the District has been placed on corrective action by CDE. We will now have to make a plan to fulfill our requirements with NCLB (No Child Left Behind) Sanctions. We are participating in a District Self Assessment process with the support of an outside evaluator.

Now, notice that we did, as a district, meet 92.72% of our goals in reading and math - but that's not good enough under the law. We are required, by law, to meet 100% of our goals - all of the above concerns (and quite a few others) notwithstanding. What other industry requires 100% of goals to be met, and considers anything less to be failing? Because under the law, we are a failing district - and that's why we've been placed on corrective action by the CDE (Colorado Department of Education).

So what triggered this rant (besides the above email)? As I said in the title of this post, it is testing season again. It is also time for ESEA/NCLB to be reauthorized - which means this is the time we could get this law changed to something more reasonable, realistic, and useful - but only if enough people contact their legislators and make their concerns known. If the above concerns you - whether you think the law is too strict, not strict enough, or needs changes in its details - then please, I am begging you, contact your legislators NOW and make your concerns known.

And if you're all the way down here... thanks so much for reading all the way through.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, I had a very long post in support of you and then I realized that I was rambling and had gotten completely off the subject so I deleted it and I just want you to know that I do support you.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have problems with No Child Left Behind, and all of this emphasis on administering lengthy multiple choice tests to kids... Before I go too deep into my problems, I do see a place for SOME testing, appropriate to the student group and designed to measure their development and learning progress, which can be used as a tool to address problems or hold teachers more accountable. Sadly, there are too many teachers in too many school systems who are there to go through the motions and collect their check -- especially in light of the current accountability/testing crap. (I know -- a vicious circle!) While teachers are required to have more education, and are being required to actually know their subject matter more than in the past -- there's still plenty of room for ineffective teachers to slip by. But that's wandering off topic...

In my area, several school systems are already at odds with NCLB; they've decided that they're not going to administer a test in English to students who are just barely able to communicate in English. We've got a huge population of immigrants (legal & illegal) and non-native English speakers, and many kids don't hear or use English at home. Lots of them have parents who are illiterate and uneducated, as well. But the testing required by NCLB is supposed to be administered to these kids in English, with no allowances made for the fact that they may know the subject matter -- but be unable to understand the question.

But I have a bigger problem with the format of most of these tests. Most, if not all, are primarily multiple choice because there's just no practical way to administer all of these tests other than in a format that can be graded by a computer. Few of them measure whether or not the kids are capable of age-appropriate reasoning or critical thinking, or whether they can actually apply what they've learned. It's great to know which states were part of the Confederacy... but it's also important to understand why the Civil War happened, and to be able to recognize similar elements as they develop elsewhere. It's great to know how to manipulate the numbers in an equation, and get the right number (let's ignore the whole calculator dependence issue) -- but isn't also important to know how to apply the ideas and form an equation? Sure, there are word problems -- but they all follow a script; I've run into plenty of kids who can't apply a time-rate-distance equation to figure out how long they'll actually need to get somewhere. It's great to know that Bill of Rights is in the Constitution (why don't more people know that the "unalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" isn't in the Constitution, but in the Declaration of Indepence -- or that there's no right to happiness at all?) -- but shouldn't they have some idea of what the 4th Amendment means to them?

Tests can be an important and useful tool. Measuring the overall performance of a school system or particular school is also important. But these various tests have come to dominate education so much that teachers just don't have the choice but to teach and prepare for the tests...

Latest Discussions