8 US Attorneys sacked

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I got home from work yesterday I turned on the television and saw a piece on the McNeil/Lehrer Newshour about the recent sacking of eight US Attorneys by the Attorney General. I was just wondering how people felt about this. I know that the position of US Attorney is essentially a political appointment, but this is pretty strange.

Each of the attorneys sacked was recently told that they were performing well but when sacked they were given no reason only to find media reports suggesting that they had been fired for poor performance.

Some have suggested that because there are about 90 US judicial districts that this is nothing to be concerned about, but I immediately thought "thin edge of the wedge".

Your thoughts?

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are 3 general types of creatures in the US Government.

One species are those who are elected. They can be fired either by voters or by term limits or impeached and removed for misconduct.

A second species are Civil Service. Generally career professionals, they get in and get promoted by achievement and test scores. They can only usually be removed for disability or gross misconduct. They are the "ants".

The third species are political appointees.... my least favorite, usually barnacles on the body politic. Often they need have no real qualifications to get hired for a well paying spot... and they start at the top of the heap. They often do not break a sweat at work, when they are there at all, and grab what glory is to be had for themselves. Some are inspired leaders; most drive the career workers absolutely nuts with amateur meddling. The one drawback in their "Grasshopper" lives - they can be let go any time for any - - - or no --- reason. Never mourn the demise of one. Never.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
What alarms me is that Alberto "A little torture never hurt anyones" Gonzalez has gotten rid of almost 10% of the US Attorneys at a single go. He's stacking one of the most important legal positions with political loyalists and toadies. That has a terribly chilling effect on the independence and professionalism of the entire Justice department. It's also a clear signal that any investigation of the "Unitary Executive" will only be performed by those who can be relied on to give the correct answer and exonerate The Decider and His servants.

OP
Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
That has a terribly chilling effect on the independence and professionalism of the entire Justice department. It's also a clear signal that any investigation of the "Unitary Executive" will only be performed by those who can be relied on to give the correct answer and exonerate The Decider and His servants.

This is very interesting.

I also found the fact that these interim appointees are being appointed inperpetuity quite alarming. It was posited in the discussion i saw that such appointees are normally drawn from the regional office so as to be able to carry on current cases, but some of these new appointees are coming form Washington

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are 3 general types of creatures in the US Government.

One species are those who are elected. They can be fired either by voters or by term limits or impeached and removed for misconduct.

A second species are Civil Service. Generally career professionals, they get in and get promoted by achievement and test scores. They can only usually be removed for disability or gross misconduct. They are the "ants".

The third species are political appointees.... my least favorite, usually barnacles on the body politic. Often they need have no real qualifications to get hired for a well paying spot... and they start at the top of the heap. They often do not break a sweat at work, when they are there at all, and grab what glory is to be had for themselves. Some are inspired leaders; most drive the career workers absolutely nuts with amateur meddling. The one drawback in their "Grasshopper" lives - they can be let go any time for any - - - or no --- reason. Never mourn the demise of one. Never.

I worked in government service for over 28 years, and I've never heard it said as well as this!

-Garry

Latest Discussions