Article: Nissan’s new Leaf is the perfect commuter car

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40420491/ns/business-going_green/

The 2011 Nissan Leaf is nothing less than miraculous. After decades of waiting fruitlessly for commercialization of various science fiction inventions like the jetpack, the flying car and the robot maid, Nissan has finally delivered a regular, normal everyday car that runs on battery power.

The writer, to his credit, doesn't seem to be gushing over the new technology. Warts and all, though, this is a positive article and suggests that Nissan and EVs might actually manage to carve out a small portion of the mainstream commuter market.

I appreciate any accounts on range, and according the the author of the article, he got 80 miles of mixed, suburban driving. That's about what I've heard, but with a limited range vehicle, any information is appreciated.

However, there is some debate on the Leaf’s actual driving range. The EPA says it’s 73 miles, based on its testing regime. My real-world driving stretched that to 80 miles in suburban driving with 55-65 degree temperatures.

Nissan says that slogging through 15 mph traffic in 14-degree weather with the headlights burning produces a range of 62 miles, while cruising at 38 mph in perfect 68 degree whether lets the car go 138 miles.

It is good to know that the worst-case scenario range is 62 miles because that’s still a reasonable range for most round-trip commutes. The claimed 138 mile range is a bit more dubious, and of course even if it’s true, it’s pretty useless because it would be unusual for anyone to cruise willingly at 38 mph for 138 miles.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know, I shouldn't, but, when I hear "Electric car" I think:
Golf-Cart2.jpg

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
:) That's pretty funny. My parents live in Sun City West, AZ and his "daily driver" is a golf cart. He loves it.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:) That's pretty funny. My parents live in Sun City West, AZ and his "daily driver" is a golf cart. He loves it.
Yeah, my uncle really wants one he lives on 5 acres and walking out to the back when the ground is muddy isn't fun anymore.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't get into this electric hybrid stuff. Buy a diesel, get good mileage, plenty of room to do stuff and able to fuel in less the five minutes all over the country. ESPECIALLY in this country, look what BMW did so the Smart Car or the North American audience!

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't get into this electric hybrid stuff. Buy a diesel, get good mileage, plenty of room to do stuff and able to fuel in less the five minutes all over the country. ESPECIALLY in this country, look what BMW did so the Smart Car or the North American audience!
Diesel's good, too, but ultimately more expensive. If I had to drive longer distances, I'd seriously consider a TDI.

It's not an either/or thing, though. The EV will suit some people, while for others, diesels will be the way to go.

As for Smart, that's a joke. The car is smaller than necessary and isn't even as efficient as it should be. 36 mpg mixed driving? That's ridiculous. If I were going to settle for something in the mid 30's I'd get a MINI Cooper, with about twice the HP and a back seat.

Ultimately, I'm excited about the options. Considering the advances we've seen in every other industry, that we're still using an ICE that is essentially the same as the one's manufactured almost a century ago is pretty lame.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am glad that options are becoming available on the consumer market. Still way out of reach for me, though. Both purchase and lease price are not even close to what I could afford. I paid $500 cash for my commuter car, which gets 30 MPG. It is old and it looks like crap, but these are things I don't care about.

When electric cars are mainstreamed, then I'll be more interested; say in 20 years or so. However, I'm glad we're moving that way.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I am glad that options are becoming available on the consumer market. Still way out of reach for me, though. Both purchase and lease price are not even close to what I could afford. I paid $500 cash for my commuter car, which gets 30 MPG. It is old and it looks like crap, but these are things I don't care about.

When electric cars are mainstreamed, then I'll be more interested; say in 20 years or so. However, I'm glad we're moving that way.
One of the guys I work with owns a Metro. Get's close to 50 mpg, but with no bells or whistles. He loves it, and there's no reason not to.

But I'll tell you, even thinking about the oil industry with the collusion, price fixing, and our dependence on foreign oil makes me angry. As the prices creep up towards $4/gallon, I'm very excited about the prospect of being able to give the Shell/Exxon/Chevron/Texaco the bird as I drive to work each morning.

Latest Discussions