Arrested for creative writing assignment

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But then he immediately dismissed the idea as a mere joke, writing, "not really, but it would be funny if I did.'' A second disorderly count accuses Lee of alarming first-year teacher Nora Capron by writing that "as a teacher, don't be surprised on [sic] inspiring the first CG shooting,'' an apparent reference to Cary-Grove High.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/360827,CST-NWS-essay27.article

Should a person be arrested on the basis of a creative writing assignment? Or punished in any way?

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I keep trying to find something more effective to say, but no is all I can come up with....I am not sure about at the school, thinking maybe have him talk to a councelor or something just to make sure he isn't a lit fuse just waiting to go off, but not arrested or anything like that...

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely insane. I'm frankly amazed the ACLU isn't all over this like sharks on a surfer.

Now it would be fair to take some precautions based on a student's writings, but a freaking arrest?

Something funny goin on here.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
Absolutely insane. I'm frankly amazed the ACLU isn't all over this like sharks on a surfer.
Agreed but make that a bleeding surfer... remember they're attorneys. :D

No he shouldn't been arrested for that... I mean if that were the case then I'd be put in to a deep dark cell and the key thrown away for some of my personal writings (but then again with me a deep dark cell would be just the place... feel right at home what?) . It's stupid and an overreaction to be sure... BUT! It's an understandable overreaction...

Cho, the killer of Virginia Tech had also turned in writings of "disturbing content" and was not ...errr.. looked into to see the mind behind the words.
Family therapist Michael Gurian, author of The Minds of Boys, said Allen Lee needs at least good counseling, but "If he was arrested solely based on those words, I don't see that as the most helpful course.''
He's right on both accounts. Arresting someone for writing isn't helping but taking time to sit-down and talk about those dreams would be. We still don't fully understand the human psyche as well as we'd like to.

If we did then we'd probably would've been able to prevent Virginia Tech.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do I think that someone should have sat down with him and discussed it? Most certainly. Do I think he should have been arrested? Not in the slightest - and his clean record just goes to support that. In the article, it stated that he wants to be a Marine... I can just hope that this doesn't prevent him from enlisting.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
but taking time to sit-down and talk about those dreams would be. We still don't fully understand the human psyche as well as we'd like to.

I think the first question is, did he have those dreams, or was this merely creative writing?

There are lots of disturbing things written, even by professionals, yet no one arrests horror writers that are not in High school.

Although Wes Craven may soon make the FBI's most wanted list...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Although Wes Craven may soon make the FBI's most wanted list...
Stephen King, Clive Barker, John Carpenter, Dean Koontz, Alfred Hitchcock (whilst he was living), Peter Straub and the list goes on... But none of these guys went off on a campus shooting spree did they?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let's look at the opposite side. Is it any better if, because of fear of punishment or criticism, children are taught to withhold all their thoughts (whether good or bad). If they having no other place to express their thoughts (or perhaps their concerns that need to be expressed but couldn't), would bottle it all in. I would think the effect would be detrimental. I've seen criticism happen even about things that would be considered good by most people.

If it comes to the point that every thought and every word spoken must be severely controlled, it is a sad day.

I am of the opinion we should be allowed to express what we may, but we cannot expect to not have consequences for the choices we make.

In the situation of the writer, perhaps a sit-down to talk with him about his purposes and his goals. Was his goal to become a writer like Stephen King (and among other writers already mentioned upthread)? If so, that genre is going to be a "dying breed" if every attempt is squashed from becoming a potential best seller.

If his goal is to become the next "mayhem-creator", then the sit-down conversation will reveal that desire through more probing and may bring out other issues that may result into these thoughts (frustration, anger, stress, or whatever stemming from life situations/background).

An initial response as an immediate arrest is not the answer.

- Ceicei

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we all are going to have to get used to MANY "knee jerk" reactions to children's behavior. After the Tech shootings, any abnormal behavior will be labeled as "future serial killer behavior" - and actions will be taken, no matter how absurd they may be.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's next? People getting arrested for drawing skulls and daggers in the margins of their notes?

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this really surprise you after people getting suspended for bringing a cread knife to school?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's next? People getting arrested for drawing skulls and daggers in the margins of their notes?

Not to mention tattoos?

Ceicei said:
Let's look at the opposite side. Is it any better if, because of fear of punishment or criticism, children are taught to withhold all their thoughts (whether good or bad). If they having no other place to express their thoughts (or perhaps their concerns that need to be expressed but couldn't), would bottle it all in. I would think the effect would be detrimental. I've seen criticism happen even about things that would be considered good by most people.
This is what we (the people) need to guard against. Fear of expression. The facist party of mid-late 1930's Germany and subsequently the Communist party during the late 40's and 50's.

Ceicei said:
If it comes to the point that every thought and every word spoken must be severely controlled, it is a sad day.
Da comrade that it will be. (sarcastically speaking of course :rolleyes: ) So what is our government moving towards? Totalitarianism? Remember it's the little things that count and add up to one big thing in the end.

Ceicei said:
I am of the opinion we should be allowed to express what we may, but we cannot expect to not have consequences for the choices we make.
Yes I agree here. People cry about "freedom of speech" and that we have but we have to make sure that our intentions are clear with what we are trying to say. You're saying something... but what's the message? Why are you saying what you're saying? Though we cannot guarantee everything we say is going to please everybody (even here as green and red rep points can attest to that) we should be mindful of what we are saying and try to get our message across as assertively as possible. It's the adult thing to do.

Ceicei said:
In the situation of the writer, perhaps a sit-down to talk with him about his purposes and his goals. Was his goal to become a writer like Stephen King (and among other writers already mentioned upthread)? If so, that genre is going to be a "dying breed" if every attempt is squashed from becoming a potential best seller.
Having a-sit-down talk with people who write "disturbing" items may help ferret out the next VT type shooter, but who does the asking and what qualifications do THEY have to ask those questions? Likewise with the answers. They may answer positively (in a good way) now; "...it was an idea for a horror novel I'm thinking of writing when I graduate from college..." "...oh well then he's okay then! :D "
As stated, authors like S. King started out with short stories, a few hastily written paragraphs and a few lines of thought to begin their careers. Millions have thrilled to their "mature" works and we called it escapism.
But you're right, if we're not careful we could lose the future. In more ways than one.

Ceicei said:
If his goal is to become the next "mayhem-creator", then the sit-down conversation will reveal that desire through more probing and may bring out other issues that may result into these thoughts (frustration, anger, stress, or whatever stemming from life situations/background).
An initial response as an immediate arrest is not the answer.
Is ANYONE going to admit their goal is to become the next mayhem maker? Would Cho have admitted it? Chances are he probably didn't plan on it til the night before or the week before. Oh sure he was angry at this and angry at that and angry at them and angry at himself. But who knows how long his anger had been brewing enough to go over the brink. Not trying to vindicate or be sympathetic just trying to understand the guy like everyone else.
Now this young guy... writing things along a similar vein and he gets busted.
I was kinda half expecting gun laws to go through the roof after VT but THIS?

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that if the writing is in conjunction with "other" issues, like the VT killer...that guy had A LOT of other stuff going on along with the writing. It can paint a broader picture of a mental disturbance. Absent other factors, this is knee jerk to the extreme.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But the student's attorney, Dane Loizzo, said Lee was well within the confines of the assignment. Loizzo said the instructions included writing for a set period of time and to not censor anything.

"This was a free writing," Loizzo said. "It is very important to understand that the assignment was to write without parameters. A stream of consciousness seems to be the goal of the assignment." http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=306398

... and he still got arrested for it. :rolleyes:

Followed the rules and got sent to jail.

Sigh.

Like I said... if this trend keeps up then many of us here and elsewhere on other forums will be doing some jail time.

Latest Discussions