Armpit Pressure Point

• Thread starter the_kicking_fiend
  • Start date
T

the_kicking_fiend

Hey Guys,

I was just interested if anyone who trains in pressure points could confirm or deny a rumour I heard about the armpit pressure point. Is it true hat if hit hard enough, the entire side of the body can be totally disabled. How this works I don't know and whether this means the leg is also included I don't know but it sounds a great point to strike if this is so. What sort of fist would be needed to cause maximum effect?

your friendly fiend

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Not the entire side of the body, but a sharp enough blow to the area just below the armpit can cause some numbness there and possibly give your opponent a dead arm for a few seconds. It's a good plan if you follow it up with an attack to the head.

I don't train in pressure points specifically, it's just a handy trick I learned from my TKD instructor.

OP
J

Jill666

Yup, dead arm can result from that point- I can assure you from personal experience. Also it hurts a lot. I personally think a strike with the fingertips (blade or beak) is most effective due to the penetraion factor. Again, I'm a novice, and money permitting I'll be picking up several books this month from DKI and other sources.

Have fun :D (but not too much fun)

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Two things -

1) There are a few points in the armpit area that can be used for different purposes. Two are seizing points (you grab them to make them work) - one hurts like nobody's business, the other one can numb the arm a tad. The point you are talking about will deaden the arm and make it less than functional for a few seconds... But that is supposed to be all you need! :D

2) Don't buy DKI's stuff. First, you can't learn vital point striking from a book. Second, his methods and theories are questionable (we have had a lot of discussion about that, and in all objectivity the effectiveness of DKI theory has yet to be satisfactorily proven). Third, you run a very serious risk of injury if you play around with things you learn from a book written by someone who may or may not know what the heck they are talking about (volume of seminars not withstanding).

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Please listen to the advise of yiliquin, I have studied Dim Mak pressure points , joint manipulation and pain compliance this can do permanent damage and in some extreme cases even kill people these techniques are not somthing you want to learn from books or video.
The under arm is a great area to strike and most often forgotton about, I suggest maybe trying some muscle grabbing in that area for severe pain compliance.

OP
H

Humble artist

Armpit shot is dangerous.
Actually it can result in growing,if rapid weakening,nausea,vomiting,possible arterial damage,numb/disabled arm and most importantly death (which may result in- from nearly instant shock to a day)
Theoretical information but from reasonable sources.
Spear hand.
As we are dealing with pressure points,there are various in that same area and you can come up with esoteric,oriental medical explanations but this also finds proof in modern medicine.

As previously informed,not anything to fool around with for good reasons of course.
A good tip on pain compliance too.I would like to add that for such,muscle directly in front of the armpit (linked to pectoral muscle) can be used for pain compliance/control and extreme pain can be generated,same goes for the muscle up behind the armpit.

OP
J

Jill666

Guys, I am not learning these points from books, I am studying at a kyusho dojo to supplement my training. The books will be a tool for my memory etc.

As for DKI, I'm well aware of the controversies surrounding Dillman, especially with the no-touch hooey. But I can say I have FELT the effectiveness of the techniques. Have you?

I was trying to give a straight answer to a straight question.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes, there is a nerve cluster in the armpit and is called the Brachial Plexus (sp?). I honestly do not know if it can render the entire side of the body useless. this nerve strike is introduced at orange belt in AK, and the weapon is a middle knuckle punch, and boy does it hurt. another good weapon for this strike would be a horizontal spear hand.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by DAC..florida
Please listen to the advise of yiliquin, I have studied Dim Mak pressure points , joint manipulation and pain compliance this can do permanent damage and in some extreme cases even kill people these techniques are not somthing you want to learn from books or video.
The under arm is a great area to strike and most often forgotton about, I suggest maybe trying some muscle grabbing in that area for severe pain compliance.

I would like to see a documented proof of the practice of Dim Mak. So far it is pretty much like the story about Big Foot.... many people talk about it, NO ONE has actually seen one lol.

OP
C

chufeng

Those that practice it (for real) won't say anything because they'd be tried for murder...
Those that have been on the receiving end CAN'T talk about it unless you hold a seance;)

Ethically, I see no reason to continue to promote this aspect of the martial arts...if defense is your goal, you can do that without DimMak...If self-cultivation is the goal, why study an art that takes life over several days?

As far as the armpit strike goes...
There are MANY reasons why it's dangerous...
I don't advocate practicing this strike with a training partner (except for maybe light contact to get the accuracy down)...

Not only is there a large plexus of nerves coming off of the cervical spine, but there are two very large blood vessels in that same area...It is also the first point on the heart meridian, so from the aspect of disrupting normal qi flow...it would be bad to hit this point.

chufeng

OP
T

the_kicking_fiend

Hmmm good points thanks. A strike to that area seems much easier than a grab because it's in an awkward place and if someone is wearing a jumper or shirt you would expect a muscle grab to be less effective, no?

I'm very suprised to learn it can kill?! I guess there is no way of developing any kind of muscle to protect u there. On another note I've heard that it is possible to develop muscles to protect ur side between ur ribs and hips, anyone know about this? i.e. types of excercises?

It seems to be a good move anyway to use if you grabbed the arm from a punch, lifted it upwards, smashed the armpit a couple of times then maybe an arm break? Obviously a very serious and nasty combination but martial arts is afterall, let's face it, very nasty and violent!

your friendly fiend

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Chufeng,

You sure that striking there under the armpit can kill?! I doubt there's a human being who can hit that hard to that part of the body with their bare hands. Maybe with a sledge hammer.

I would think that if you want to practice it on a training partner, you'd be ok with a light palm heel strike.

I want to look up that "large plexus of nerves" there in an anatomy book now. Anyone got one handy?

OP
C

chufeng

According to the classical teaching, this strike can kill...
I don't have any personal experience with it (that is, I've never killed anyone with my hands...and hope I never have to)...

I can see how it might from both a physiologic and energy point of view...but I prefer to carry that conversation on off-line.

chufeng

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
Those that practice it (for real) won't say anything because they'd be tried for murder...
Those that have been on the receiving end CAN'T talk about it unless you hold a seance;)

Ethically, I see no reason to continue to promote this aspect of the martial arts...if defense is your goal, you can do that without DimMak...If self-cultivation is the goal, why study an art that takes life over several days?

I simply don't believe this kind of "privileged information" status is warranted. There is no justification for it. There are lots of texts on Dim Mak, written in Chinese. I have come across some many years ago. The Chinese made lots of blatantly absurd assertions about ancient CMA, that defy physics and the human physiology. I do not know if Dim Mak should be included in that category or not.

Your answer is not shedding any light on the issue. Rather that line of reasoning and argument, lends credit to charlatans' bogus BS. Any charlatans can use that line to hide the truth about every scam.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't think that Chufeng was trying to keep it as "privileged" information, so much so as exercising a certain degree of maturity and responsibility with potentially dangerous information.

I was going to correct Zepp's post, but thought better of it for just that reason.

Gambarimasu.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think Dim Mak is as "dangerous" as it is being hyped up to be, if it is even real at all. The conditioning and training required, would wash out 9999 out of 10,000 trainees. From what I have learned, you need to condition your fingers to the point that, heck whether you hit the "mak" or not, the blunt force trauma is sufficient to send your target to the H. And secondly, you need to memorize the "mak" and be able to pin-point them on your target, even when he is fully clothed. You need to know which "mak" to "dim" at what hour of the day, for what effect.

Yeah, I am sure, any Joeblow from the street can master that in no time, if you would just shared the info with him. LOL

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
I don't think Dim Mak is as "dangerous" as it is being hyped up to be, if it is even real at all. The conditioning and training required, would wash out 9999 out of 10,000 trainees.

Not really. Only if you watch too many bad Hong Kong movies... :D

From what I have learned, you need to condition your fingers to the point that, heck whether you hit the "mak" or not, the blunt force trauma is sufficient to send your target to the H. And secondly, you need to memorize the "mak" and be able to pin-point them on your target, even when he is fully clothed. You need to know which "mak" to "dim" at what hour of the day, for what effect.

Memorizing the points is the easy part. Though I haven't been studying as regularly as I should, I can pick out at least 200 points at any given time... Admittedly, since they are symmetrically placed on the body, a lot of those points are counted twice once I find them once... ;)

Yeah, I am sure, any Joeblow from the street can master that in no time, if you would just shared the info with him. LOL

No, they likely couldn't. But they could sure "f" up themselves and their buddies trying to figure it out.

I know how to make all sorts of bombs and stuff, too. Should I post that info freely on the internet as well?

Gambarimasu.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
1. I despise HK MA movies. They are an insult to real MA.

2. Well, if you say you can identify which precize point to hit, more power to you. Claims need to be verified in order to be valid. But I will take your word for it. Hmmmm....On second thought... Which mak to hit at 11 am that will result in the target to die in 24 hrs? And with what force? ;)

3. You may think it is some SECRET. But textbook on the topic is a dime a dozen all over Asian cities China town bookstores.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
1. I despise HK MA movies. They are an insult to real MA.

Yes, but there are way too many people that identify the actions of HK film actors doing wirework to the things they think they will be able to develop...

2. Well, if you say you can identify which precize point to hit, more power to you. Claims need to be verified in order to be valid. But I will take your word for it. Hmmmm....On second thought... Which mak to hit at 11 am that will result in the target to die in 24 hrs? And with what force? ;)

I said I could ID them... Never said I was a whiz at hitting them. And there is a big difference between the "secret" or "forbidden" points that deal with acupuncture points and energy damage and all the other points that will result in stunning, injuring or killing effects as well.

3. You may think it is some SECRET. But textbook on the topic is a dime a dozen all over Asian cities China town bookstores.

Never said it was a secret. Just said "exercising maturity and responsibility." If Joe Blow down the road gets a book on bombs and kills himself while maiming his family, then it was the author of that book that acted irresponsibly by putting that information into the hands of people not fit to have it. I'm exercising my choice not to do the same. Not that I am implying you aren't fit, but there are more than we two reading this thread... Hence Chufeng's comment about not going into the issue online. In person, in private, sure. On the internet where any idiot 14 year old with a grudge against someone could access it? Nope. At least not via my comments.

Gambarimarsu.

OP
C

chufeng

JN,

I didn't claim to know dimMak...

What I said was that I can think of both physiologic and energy related reasons why hitting that point would be bad...

Does that make me a charlatan?

I choose not to discuss certain things on this board...striking to vital points is one of them...

For those who are really interested in the subject...find a teacher who can show you...buying a book is only worthwhile IF you already know the rudiments of it...

As Yiliquan1 points out, there are a wide variety of people who read this board...I don't want someone out there saying "Hey I saw this on martial talk..."and POW...someone gets hurt.

Since you've already read the dozens of books on DimMak, there is little I can offer you anyways...

...and for the record, I don't know DimMak.
So the "privileged" information is not mine to give...

I practice abesthesia and I do have some training in Acupuncture...and I base my concerns on that.

chufeng

Latest Discussions