Are you a RACIST? There's a pill for that...

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think an equally valid supposition, given the "ifs" are true, such as racism being something that is hardwired in our brains, and a pill could cure it, is that society itself would dictate the use of the drug. As you say, many non-racist would take the drug because they would not have anything to lose. Since racism, for most of us, is not a desirable behaviour for either individuals or society, societal pressure would eventually increase to tremendous levels. The government would not have to mandate it, just maybe give a nudge here and there in advertising.

Having said all that, I think it is a moot arguement, so the racist and big government fearing people can relax a bit :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I say "Imagine 100% efficacy, imagine no known side-effects, imagine that 100% of racism turns out to be genetic," someone will say 'Nuh uh, that's not possible, because X and Y and Z." I give up.

In that case, imagine that 100% of the people will WANT to take it, the manufacturer will give it away free, the govt will be efficient and not waste any tax money, resulting in a flat tax of 1% for everybody, and of course everybody will pay it happily, and Santa Claus will give everybody on his "naughty" list a do-over.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In that case, imagine that 100% of the people will WANT to take it, the manufacturer will give it away free, the govt will be efficient and not waste any tax money, resulting in a flat tax of 1% for everybody, and of course everybody will pay it happily, and Santa Claus will give everybody on his "naughty" list a do-over.

I might not take such a drug under such circumstances, and not because I'm a racist. Rather, because I am not a racist, understanding that such a drug will have no effect on me, I would still object to two things. The first would be being required to ingest a drug against my will, and the second would be the right of citizens to think what they wish, even ugly hateful things.

I would imagine that a lot of people would want to take the drug, and a lot of social pressure would be brought to bear. I also believe that racists typically do not believe they are racists; they would not think they need such a drug. Of course, racists who do know they are racists would obviously not want to take the drug; they don't want to be 'cured' of their disease.

khuang85

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As the Avenue Q song says, "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist sometimes. Doesn't mean we go committing hate crimes.Look around and you will findNo one's really color blind. Maybe it's a fact We all should face Everyone makes judgments basd on race. "

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the Avenue Q song says, "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist sometimes. Doesn't mean we go committing hate crimes.Look around and you will findNo one's really color blind. Maybe it's a fact We all should face Everyone makes judgments basd on race. "

Except I know at least two people who absolutely do not.

Can't stand that stupid song-it's just not true....

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gotta first define racism.

Is racism what drove the Native peoples from their lands and onto reservations? Was there racism between Native nations or was it tribalism? Was manifest destiny a form of racism if it benefited all races of the Americas? Or was it exclusive to one race? Is racism simply the belief that one race is superior to others or is it an umbrella term that is overused to describe inter-ethnic and interracial conflict? If you will not not date or marry outside of your race, does that make you a racist? Is it racist to point out racism? Is a bigot also a racist? Who gets to define racism and who gets to remedy it when it happens?

Personally, I've tried to live a life that transcends races and ethnicities (marrying interracially, worshiping interracially, educated interracially -- the things in life that rally matter) and, as such, have little tolerance for bigotry, tribalism, racism, etc. So I wouldn't need such a pill. But even if I was a stealth racial partisan who wanted to change, I wouldn't take a pill.

There is, however, a floral remedy for it. :)

Latest Discussions