Are The J. Simonet Videos worthwhile?

misfit69

White Belt
Reaction score
I think tellner says it like it is. He has a ton more info about Sera then I ever will. I have done 4 or 5 seminars with Plinck and the man is a god to me. My info comes a little more from where Joe learned his Silat as I was a student of Guru Bob Vanatta for 4 or 5 years. Bob is the one that taught Joe his Silat and Bob flat out says that he showed Joe mostly Tongkat Silat, not Serak Silat. From my understanding, Joe would have been ok putting out a Tongkat Silat video but that may has still pissed off Victor, I don't know. However, him putting out a Serak Silat video got quite a few folks upset from my understanding. I have worked out with Joe in the past and his overall MA experience is incredible but I could 100% understand where Tellner could find lots of wholes in his Sera side of Silat. I know Bob was pissed cause Joe never really gave him the credit for teaching Joe. Joe moved from Washington to Colorado Springs (where Bob is) to learn Silat.

I personally have not seen any of his videos but anybody that has worked out with Plinck for that long would have a very, very good understanding of Sera Silat. I am curious Tellner, do you know a Jason from Colorado, he was a pretty good friend of mine.

misfit69

White Belt
Reaction score
I guess I should also add that I would think his other videos would be ok. I learned his Slam Set a long time ago and have since forgotten it along with the classical Wing Chun 108 dummy form but it was awesome for sure. It had great drills and concepts to do if you are working out with a wooden dummy. Slam Set has so much of Joe inside of it. His intensity and power really shows in his Slam Set, I think I heard he has changed it since I first learned it in the mid 90’s but I’m sure it still has the same intensity. I would also think any of his Wing Chun or Kempo videos would be good cause the man has a ton of experience in those areas for sure. As mentioned before, there are a few people that do like to talk **** about Joe but not very many of these folks would like to fight him and that includes me big time. And by no means do I think Tellner is talking crap, I think he absolutely correct about Joe’s Sera or Serak experience.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks misfit. That's just the point I was trying (ineptly) to make. Joseph Simonet has a lot of experience in a lot of things, and I wouldn't want to fight him except maybe with a scoped bolt gun from 200 meters away with cover, concealment and a spotter :) But Sera is not his forte, so from a Silat perspective his Silat tapes aren't that good. He's a hell of a martial artist from all reports, just not in that field. I wouldn't go to my teacher for a Kendo or BJJ video. That's not what he does. Same thing.

misfit69

White Belt
Reaction score
The Jason I know is about 6'2" or 6'3"ish, about a solid 220ish I would say. Darker skin, usually a goatee or beard. Tough as hell and very good IMO.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, that would be Tall Jason. I've only met him a couple times. Good guy.

misfit69

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes he is Tellner, very skilled also. He had the power side down but once he started training with Guru Plinck, he has become extremely soft which has just made him so much better.

Sorry for the hijack farangkorat, back to the Sifu Joe's tapes. He is a very none BS instructor and I would think his other tapes would have very good info in them. I would even guess to say that his Silat videos also have good info in them but the info would be more from Tongkat than Serak. Again, I haven't seen his videos but the dude is good, without question.

However, being a newbie, not sure what you can really pick up from a video. I think you really would need a good basics before you can really appreciate what a video has to offer. Maybe I am wrong but unless you can get some real contact and feel what the instructor is trying to show you, not sure if you could pick it up. So much of it IMO comes from feeling what is going on. Guru Plinck is such a good example cause the guy moves you by hardly moving. He works so little to destroy your base and then you are done, he knows it and you know it. That's what the 1 on 1 gives you. I would be afraid that if you are trying to learn it from a video, you would be just trying to duplicate the technique and not understand where the technique is really coming from. Again, just my opinion, there are tons of schools that focus on just technique and can have some good results. However, once you understand where the technique is coming from, you can make any technique you wish. Sorry to ramble but wanted it to get back on topic after I took it off topic. Hope it helps.
Brian

Art Vandelay

White Belt
Reaction score
As a student of Sifu Joseph in the Art and Science of Mook Jong I have had a great deal of exposure to his knowledge base. I have found all the videos useful as part of my training. He has always shown and expressed a deep respect for all the arts in which he has trained. Each video I own exposed me to a very detailed breakdown of the art covered and (what I really found useful) practice drills I could perform on my own or with a training partner. This combined with the obvious advantage of one on one instruction has given me what I feel is a balanced exposure to combat martial arts as well as self defense techniques that really work in the real world.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I second Tellner. His vids are good, he's got a lot of skill in a few arts, but his Silat definitely leaves something to be desired. Don't expect the Silat you learn from him to carry much weight beyond his training groups. Of course, you could go train with some actual Silat folks (Sera/k) and compare.

Obliquity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is that Art Vandelay -- the architect?

And thanks for slamming my head into the concrete last night. I needed that. :banghead:

Latest Discussions