Anyone on here?

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
can only think that it wouldn't hurt your chances :)

it's unarmed so no real need to carry if that's what the rules say and you'll be able to take care of yourself too :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, as long as it's a well rounded art that covers locks holds and ground techniques. An art that leads with punches and kicks will not be as much of an asset.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends in what type of security. If loss prevention type for major companies they tend to not want security people to get physical with people even shoplifters so I would mention it. If bouncer type security I'd mention training in compliance type stuff but not punches and kicks ect.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I worked for years as a security officer. In my job you would not physically confront a perpetrator so a martial arts background didn't have any use in the kind of job I did.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, as long as it's a well rounded art that covers locks holds and ground techniques. An art that leads with punches and kicks will not be as much of an asset.
The company that I work for can't afford security guards; so, I am a security guard that has to run the shop in my free time. I, my friend, will be leading with punches and kicks. I may even throw stuff. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whether a martial arts background will be seen as a positive or not in security work is pretty variable. Some will like it, some won't care, and a few will figure that you're going to be looking for fights. I'd suggest that you consider it as a "follow-up" item, to mention based on their questions, rather than throw it out up front. For example, if they ask "are you able to put your hands on someone and detain them?" -- then you can mention it. That -- or use it to show that you have a degree of dedication and persistence, rather than fighting skill.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I worked security for about 15 years all of it unarmed and like most retail/loss prevention jobs our policy was to avoid getting physical with suspects but that unfortunately couldn't always be avoided and having a martial arts background definitely came in handy on more than a few occasions. I think of it like alot of things, I'd rather have the skill set/knowledge and never have to use it than need it and not have it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I worked security for about 15 years all of it unarmed and like most retail/loss prevention jobs our policy was to avoid getting physical with suspects but that unfortunately couldn't always be avoided and having a martial arts background definitely came in handy on more than a few occasions. I think of it like alot of things, I'd rather have the skill set/knowledge and never have to use it than need it and not have it.
Amen! There is another thread where a police officer mentioned that jumping, dodging, and rolling almost never happens. That means things went real wrong!!! Teamwork, and a good plan, beat out physical combat every time. :)

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well my security guard friend said that you need bb certificate or equivalent to apply as a security guard, if you don't have sg training certificate.
Sent from my RM-943_apac_indonesia_207 using Tapatalk

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am now only senior security officer as my day job now. I expect my guy's to do what I did on the doors. That is in two stages (which are rarely used on day watch) One, if the situation arises where we need to physical, grapple and take down, then lock up. Two, if we are about to engage in a situation where the aggressor comes for us, we kind of have to wait until the critical point (laws in the UK) we react, deflect, counter and then take down. You would not believe how little leg room we have. If they hit us first, we still have pretty much get one hit, maybe two. So grappling and holds would be useful, what art though not sure long term, but Krav Maga may serve you as short term starting point. The rest, well that is the Easter Egg!

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the way the laws are structured here means that unless you get hit you can't hit back --- but it's a grey area cos you might have to physically restrain someone and in doing so you're breaking the law cos you may have hurt them (lawsuit time). the police love it when we intervene and put an end to the aggressive behaviour making their job easy.

i went through the full BG/door security course even though i got a record :) and for me it was all about containing someone and ushering them out of a premises as opposed to picking them up and throwing them out. i thought that it was nuts cos if the person that's being out of order is hammered then they're not gunna listen to you therefore you've got to get involved physically.

so long as the police are happy with what you're doing and the way that you do it then there shouldn't be any problems. most of the action happens outside the pub/club on the street and getting involved is dodgy as tuk ;) if you love a scrap ditch your tags before going in to sort it out ;)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the way the laws are structured here means that unless you get hit you can't hit back --- but it's a grey area cos you might have to physically restrain someone and in doing so you're breaking the law cos you may have hurt them (lawsuit time). the police love it when we intervene and put an end to the aggressive behaviour making their job easy.

i went through the full BG/door security course even though i got a record :) and for me it was all about containing someone and ushering them out of a premises as opposed to picking them up and throwing them out. i thought that it was nuts cos if the person that's being out of order is hammered then they're not gunna listen to you therefore you've got to get involved physically.

so long as the police are happy with what you're doing and the way that you do it then there shouldn't be any problems. most of the action happens outside the pub/club on the street and getting involved is dodgy as tuk ;) if you love a scrap ditch your tags before going in to sort it out ;)

Nice reply Donna :) Yes, the best way is to walk them out, a skill I was blessed with. Sometimes though, when you are getting close to the last orders, you...just...have...to...get...creative!

donnaTKD said:

:)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well my security guard friend said that you need bb certificate or equivalent to apply as a security guard, if you don't have sg training certificate.

If the "bb certificate" means Black Belt, your friend is probably misinformed. I hope so, anyway. I also wonder what "equivalent" would mean?
If the company actually requires a bb certificate - you should run, brother.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If the "bb certificate" means Black Belt, your friend is probably misinformed. I hope so, anyway. I also wonder what "equivalent" would mean?
If the company actually requires a bb certificate - you should run, brother.

Equivalent here means like letter from the MA teacher that this person is capable enough in self defense, this usually happened in TMA school that is not giving belt/certificate.
As for the bb, I'm not 100% sure I recall it right, but I believe he said something about his taekwondo bb when he apply to a security firm.
But what I really know from several sg I know is that the MA certificate is a certainty (regardless of the belt), but again it can be waived if you done a security guard training for several weeks.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Equivalent here means like letter from the MA teacher that this person is capable enough in self defense, this usually happened in TMA school that is not giving belt/certificate.
As for the bb, I'm not 100% sure I recall it right, but I believe he said something about his taekwondo bb when he apply to a security firm.
But what I really know from several sg I know is that the MA certificate is a certainty (regardless of the belt), but again it can be waived if you done a security guard training for several weeks.
I'm curious... where are you? Most security positions I know of absolutely don't require a black belt. I'm aware of a couple of companies that like them -- but those are company policies, not legal requirements. In Virginia, an unarmed guard license simply requires 18 hours of prescribed training and what's really a rather perfunctory record check. An armed guard is only a total of about 50 hours. Note that neither mentions "black belt or equivalent." It's not even required for a police officer...

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I live in a country above Chrismast Island. 😉

Yes like I said, it just through my limited exposure to several sg I know, and it standard for a professional sg, to have a security guard training camp, usually by police officers.

But in several companies I know that not using a security contractor and just want to hire sg personnels their own, if the person don't have sg training, they can subtitute it with MA certificate.

So if you have a sg training certificate you don't need to have any experience in MA.

And in police officer yes same here, just need to pass written, psychological and physical exam, no MA certificate needed.

Latest Discussions