Anyone had a problem with SATA drives?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just buildt a new machine a couple weeks ago, with a SATA hard drive, and it is starting to act a bit odd.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All drives do. Is there good air flow, proper fan placement, etc? Just a few of the things I'd check.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, I am getting a post, and a wondows spash screen, then nothing. So next time it tries to start in safe mode, locks up.

Kind of aggrivating.

This is the second sata drive in a row thats given me fits

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, I am getting a post, and a wondows spash screen, then nothing. So next time it tries to start in safe mode, locks up.

Kind of aggrivating.

This is the second sata drive in a row thats given me fits

Did it work before? How did you get windows onto the SATA drive, or is this a secondary drive?

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it's the main drive, installed XP from a CD, and it was working just fine for a few weeks

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
could be the drive , but that kind of issues could come up with ide drives as well...

The most easy thing to do is getting your hands on a copy of hirens boot cd and try with the diagnostics software on that to see if it's the drive indeed.

Also worth a try ( but only if you're sure it's no defective drive ! ) is booting from your xp cd/dvd .
Don't install but choose the R ( repair ) option instead.
Select your install ( will be the 1 in allmost all cases ) confirm with enter and then type the command chkdsk /r ( again confirming with enter )
This will do a check on the data content and fix up generally errors.
The process can take quite a while on big hdd's !

After it's done , simply reboot ( command : exit ;) ) and see what happens... in some cases the chkdsk command saved tons of work on many machines !

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Install a program called PC Wizard. It monitors temperatures , of CPU , GPU , hard drives, fan rpm's etc...... Its also free. I use it and i think it is a great free utility.

Latest Discussions