Anyone familiar with this?

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe this instructor calls this "hubut." I'm not completely sure of the spelling or pronunciation. I can't seem to find anything about it. He is an ITF practitioner.

Last edited by a moderator:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isomaxx is just another stretching routine for people same stuff presented in a different way.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice kicking.

The gentleman in the video isn't an ITF member, however. The USTF he is a member of used to be with the GTF until GM Park, Jung Tae's death. Afterwards they joined GM Kong, Yong Il's WTA. Not sure if they're still with that group or if they went independent. Just an FYI.

Pax,

Chris

OP
Y

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I think he is on his own and just teaches the ITF patterns.

I was really wondering about the hand techniques he was using in the video. Thanks.

OP
Y

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just realized I had the wrong link posted. I have corrected it. I'm interested in the hand techniques he is using.

Thanks.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was really wondering about the hand techniques he was using in the video. Thanks.

IMO neither man is particularly smooth, but they're just doing a standard hubud drill from Filipino martial arts. Interesting to see a TKD man mix that in.

OP
Y

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying the style "hubud."

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like it was borrowed or modified from Wing Chun. Most likely the root art to this Hubud.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it was borrowed or modified from Wing Chun. Most likely the root art to this Hubud.

Is that 'sticky hands' or am I on the wrong track?
I've seen something very like the stuff in the video on a seminar I went to a while back, seems a good drill for co-ordination and speed, wouldn't mind learning it but am not good at all at copying things off videos being female lol!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen something very like the stuff in the video on a seminar I went to a while back, seems a good drill for co-ordination and speed, wouldn't mind learning it but am not good at all at copying things off videos being female lol!

Yes some people call it sticky hands.

phoenix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is it worth trying to learn at all?

Absolutely! Hubud/sticky hands and their derivatives are really drills that increase speed, timing and SENSITIVITY! They are formulaic, and you can use them to blend and move into other moves. Then come back to the hubud, and let the other person go. In the end, you don't 'take turns', you use the sensitivity developed to manipulate and move into other strikes, punches, techniques, locks, throws, etc.

I highly recommend learning some basic hubud and trying to integrate it into your training.

Sean

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers people! Sounds all good.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep that is what it is called from Wing Chun. We do some of this from time to time. Good stuff and much harder than it looks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep that is what it is called from Wing Chun. We do some of this from time to time. Good stuff and much harder than it looks.

To me everything is harder than it looks! However I now know I'm not along, on a thread that disappeared in the hiccup it seems my problem with trying to learn from demos is not unusual with women who prefer to be taken through the moves as it's easier to learn that way for us, men it seems are much better with learning from just visuals.
I've a good idea my instrcutor can do sticky hands, he has mentioned it before which is why I thought I knew of it, we don't do it though but I shall ask him if he can teach me so thanks again. Ynnad, thanks for posting!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If the video poster is using the term hubud, he's borrowing from a southeast Asian art like kali or silat. Wing Chun's term for the same drill is chi sao or sticky hands. Not to put too fine a point on things, but your statement was probably incorrect, and I'm a relative stickler on little things like this.

No one really knows which art predates the other (kali or silat or wing chun), but there was likely some cross-pollination through Malaysia at some point. Today it is common for wing chun people to crosstrain with eskrima these days due to the Bruce Lee/Dan Inosanto link.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way, this is one of the better demos of chi sao, I've come across, much better than the original vid. The demonstrator is Sifu Jeff Webb of Austin, Texas.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grHSjYuushQ[/yt]

Here's the direct link as well:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Y

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely! Hubud/sticky hands and their derivatives are really drills that increase speed, timing and SENSITIVITY! They are formulaic, and you can use them to blend and move into other moves. Then come back to the hubud, and let the other person go. In the end, you don't 'take turns', you use the sensitivity developed to manipulate and move into other strikes, punches, techniques, locks, throws, etc.

I highly recommend learning some basic hubud and trying to integrate it into your training.

Sean

Yes, in the original video the partner is consistently coming with punches to the face while he weaves around the punches with various blockes, punches and locks. The link to the video in the previous post looks a little different, like they are taking tunrs.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
...but your statement was probably incorrect,
Very well could be. It is that I am more familiar with Wing Chun and the stick hands drills from that art than I am the other. It could be that Wing Chun borrowed from else where. But good stuff none the less.

Latest Discussions