Anybody a therapist?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anybody here a therapist? With therapists, you can talk to them about just anything and they'll listen so you can gripe to them about just anything. A therapist has a background in psychology so they can help you out. I've been looking for a therapist with a martial arts background.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you'd be better off contacting therapists in your area and asking them about their martial arts background. However, I think you also misunderstand what therapists do. They will listen to you, but they should be guiding you towards dealing with whatever concerns led you to seek their assistance.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you'd be better off contacting therapists in your area and asking them about their martial arts background. However, I think you also misunderstand what therapists do. They will listen to you, but they should be guiding you towards dealing with whatever concerns led you to seek their assistance.

I agree. You should try to find a therapist who is trained and credentialed in counseling, not just someone who has put a sign up. Your insurance company or primary physician may be able to provide you with the names of some reputable people in your area. Don't be afraid to do a little shopping in this area. There are a lot of types of therapist and you may need to try more than one to get a good fit.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not to mention that you can check their credentials... Your online 'provider' might not even be able to spell Holiday Inn Express.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be a licensed therapist requires certain credentials. I believe you at least need a master's degree in Psychology.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be a licensed therapist requires certain credentials. I believe you at least need a master's degree in Psychology.

The exact requirements vary by state and country. That's why I left if vague; the exact credentials just vary too much.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
With therapists, you can sit and rant, rave, and complain about all the problems in your life and they will listen since that's their job. I seriously doubt people on this board want to hear all about my problems but the thing is, if I am to talk with a therapist aside from their therapy background they also have to have a background in the martial arts because that way they can fully understand the problems that I want to rant and rave about since they're related to martial arts.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I am not a therapist per se, but I have nearly 30 years experience in listening to martial arts students rant and rave. :hmm:

If you think it would help, please feel free to open a discussion with me via PM. I'll be more than happy to lend an ear and offer what advice I can.

Latest Discussions