Any kettlebell users

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I got into kettlebell training three years ago and found its strength training and range of motion applications to have staggering implications and results for many different walks of life. I've done off and on kettlebell work for the past three years and on my recent Iraq tour I got back into KB training (usually I was forced to substitute either a 35 lbs plate or a dumbbell) in combination with other strength training for a lot of the crossfit-esque circuits I've designed.

I rather like a lot of Pavel Tsatsouline's work for building practical strength for military application in addition to my own running and swimming training.

Has anyone on this board used kettlebells? Have they helped for MA training (I know most MMA types like using them and I've found my average shoulder and grappling strength have gone up when I do getups)?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
My personal trainer has really gotten me into using kettle bells. In fact he's already generally certified and is goign for some of the Dragon door higher level training/certification later this month.

I use the kettlebells in conjunction with my regular wieght trianing/conditioning. It is really adding ot my cario and my speed/explosiveness. Good stuff. Once I have a better handle on things, I'll probably get my own stuff so I can do more at home.

It's a surprisingly good total body workout that blends full-body compound weighted movements and cardio.

Peace,
Erik

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've found similar things even with using the two substitute weights (We didn't have Kettlebells when I was in Iraq) and when I did a practice set with a 35 lbs Kettlebell I have at home I found I could do one handed swings a lot easier than I could before the deployment.

I like Pavel's program but I also add exercises (cals, deadlifts, pullups and the like) that I've derived from Crossfit type exercises and I've found KB training added to my own programs to be fairly useful for developing strength and more importantly in my line of work strength endurance...

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use 'em. Mainly do the Art of Strength DVD. It's helped my training a lot all round. Seems to really help my arm flexibility.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like the fact that they combine range of motion and great strength/strength endurance activity into one for a vast majority of their movements. Not to mention the full body training inherent to moving kettlebells around.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've just got a set in the club ranging from a cute little one lol to the heavy weights, is there anything reliable online that I can use to train with them and bearing in mind we do have the range of weights whats the best weight to use?

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fighters' Only website has some good workouts you can use as does DragonDoor.com. For best results I recommend the book Enter the Kettlebell.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fighters' Only website has some good workouts you can use as does DragonDoor.com. For best results I recommend the book Enter the Kettlebell.

Ta! there will be a new me in a few weeks then........I hope!

DaleDugas

My door is always open.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are interested you can seek out Steve Cotter and Mike Mahler who are two of the best Kettlebell teachers out there IMHO.

Here are some links to their material.

Steve Cotter

Mike Mahler

KBs are some of the better training out there that forces you to use your whole body to move the KB.

I use KBs as well as Indian Clubs, Cables, Bodyweight, Weight Vest, Shotputs and other equipment to train every whole body power and coordination.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey Tez 3. Pavel Tsatsouline's stuff is pretty solid too.

Fighter's Only Conditioning Coach has some killer KB routines I'm probably gonna try in a few months.

Hey DaleDugas, what do you think of Pavel's original stuff like the Russian Kettlebell Challenege and Enter the Kettlebell?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Tez 3. Pavel Tsatsouline's stuff is pretty solid too.

Fighter's Only Conditioning Coach has some killer KB routines I'm probably gonna try in a few months.

Hey DaleDugas, what do you think of Pavel's original stuff like the Russian Kettlebell Challenege and Enter the Kettlebell?

Which conditioning coach do you mean?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barry Gibson wrote an article about it.

Ta, I don't know him but I know the others who write for FO. My instructor writes for it sometimes but they are a bugger for late paying lol!

Look ut for Rosi Sexton's articles, she's spot on always.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
We've just got a set in the club ranging from a cute little one lol to the heavy weights, is there anything reliable online that I can use to train with them and bearing in mind we do have the range of weights whats the best weight to use?

Probably a 12 kg one would do ya , just start off doing two handed swings. Later on maybe go up to a 16 kg , mines a 16 kg and although it doesn't seem very heavy , the ballistic nature of the exercises can be very exhausting.

There are also a huge number of exercises that can be done with them and many variations of exercises to increase the level of difficulty.
The only thing is that between using the kettle bell and the pull up bar I seem to spend a lot of time cutting callouses off my hands with a razor blade.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do single hand swings (alternating grips at the top of each swing) with the 16 KG. I'll upgrade to a heavier model later on down the road (I'd love to get my hands on the 24 KG and do what the Spetsnaz do to condition). The getups are fairly punishing but build a good grip and shoulder strength for grappling.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a 12 kg one would do ya , just start off doing two handed swings. Later on maybe go up to a 16 kg , mines a 16 kg and although it doesn't seem very heavy , the ballistic nature of the exercises can be very exhausting.

There are also a huge number of exercises that can be done with them and many variations of exercises to increase the level of difficulty.
The only thing is that between using the kettle bell and the pull up bar I seem to spend a lot of time cutting callouses off my hands with a razor blade.

Thank you, I can't do pull ups at all. the guys in the club seem to be very competetive about doing pull ups lol, some try one handed and they have arguments on the proper way to do it one handed. Bless them, boys will be boys!
The kettlebells are a lot easier to use, my daughter can use the really heavy ones which is scary as she's so small, it's all that riding huge racehorses that does it. She's fighting MMA in December, amateur rules no head shots.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The cardio bag workout at our training studio involves kettlebells. I am not a huge fan of certain standing moves (One in particular bangs the backs of my wrists and generates bruises), but the side to side crunches with the kettlebell have improved my core strength enormously!

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you're talking about snatches, girlbug2, I believe if you bend your elbow when the bell is about to whack your wrist it'll slow the motion enough that it won't hurt.

Tez3: best of luck to your daughter on her first fight.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you, I can't do pull ups at all. the guys in the club seem to be very competetive about doing pull ups lol, some try one handed and they have arguments on the proper way to do it one handed. Bless them, boys will be boys!
The kettlebells are a lot easier to use, my daughter can use the really heavy ones which is scary as she's so small, it's all that riding huge racehorses that does it. She's fighting MMA in December, amateur rules no head shots.

Well if your going to be on the back of a huge race horse thats bolting around the track you would want to have decent grip strength for holding onto the reins and kettlebells would certainly help with that.

Your daughter won't need head shots anyway , she should be able to choke opponents out pretty easily with the functional strength she's aquired from riding race horses and throwing big kettlebells around , not to mention latching on to any stray arms and hauling them into an arm bar.
If she can combine her strength with good technique then she will truly be a force to be reckoned with.

No doubt about it pull ups are bloody hard , maybe you could start off doing negatives . Jump up to the bar , hold the position for a couple of seconds and then lower yourself down really slowly.
Do a few sets of that and after a couple of weeks you should be able to do a few proper pull ups.

Latest Discussions