Any inspiring stories from training in Japan?

Highland Ninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok, for those of you who've been out to Japan to train, can you share any interesting stories with those of us who are still in the planning stages of our first Japan trip? Anything inspiring? In other words, can you share any amazing things you've seen done, or interesting stories concerning Soke and the Japanese shihan?

Have you for example seen Soke do some breathtaking technique that just had you totally baffled? How about some humorous incidents in training? Or perhaps some stories that make us say "Wow, I can't wait to get that good!"?

I'm looking for stories that make you say "Man, you just had to be there to see it!".

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, for those of you who've been out to Japan to train, can you share any interesting stories with those of us who are still in the planning stages of our first Japan trip? Anything inspiring? In other words, can you share any amazing things you've seen done, or interesting stories concerning Soke and the Japanese shihan?

Have you for example seen Soke do some breathtaking technique that just had you totally baffled? How about some humorous incidents in training? Or perhaps some stories that make us say "Wow, I can't wait to get that good!"?

I'm looking for stories that make you say "Man, you just had to be there to see it!".

As most people who have been at the Hombu dojo when Soke has been teaching I was left stunned and befuddled along with about fifty other people who had absolutely no clue on what technique he had just performed. This includes all the way up to the highest level people within the Bujinkan. We all just tried to piece it together as best we could and continued on.

Another story would be the kindness and easy going spirit of Shiraishi Sensei who has a knack it seems of making things easy to understand and taking people under their wings. Truly an experience and not one to be missed.

I also enjoy the crisp, harder movement of Nagato Sensei one time who covered material that was right up my alley and had a FMA flare to it. (of course the big differance was that he had Shuko on)

So many stories that I could share probably write a book about. Maybe on my next trip I will do that.
icon6.gif

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A friend of mine uh... broke wind during his godan test... :idunno:

OP
Highland Ninja

Highland Ninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Brian wrote:

So many stories that I could share probably write a book about. Maybe on my next trip I will do that.

Since that may take some time, can you share a few interesting ones with us now? :)

Kreth wrote:

A friend of mine uh... broke wind during his godan test..

Oh man, I'd die of embarrassment! :eek:

Tabris

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We where made to buy new 'pants' after one training class we all want home with them ripped between the legs.

Farting in class became just another thing when new students would join.
They would break wind from the warm ups, the twisting and leaning did it.

going into a low horse stance with boxers on resulted in the clothing rules being changed... lets just say the pants where not the only "baggy" things hanging down.. *snicker*

sparring with a student who had not be training for several months and had become unfit, and was sweating so much I could not hold onto him.

Ammm... a guest teacher from another school came with some students and we had a cross-MA class and some weird games... one game was all about stealing clothes from the inside of someone elses top... that was embrassing, we have several female students.

And.. amm... going to Japan and seeing students who had trainned all there lifes.. Man if only I could find all my photos.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian wrote:

Since that may take some time, can you share a few interesting ones with us now? :)

Kreth wrote:

Oh man, I'd die of embarrassment! :eek:

When a friend of mine passed his Godan test it was differant than some of the other's that I have seen. It was like he was blown forward by Soke. Several friend's of mine that are all Japan residents were also shocked by it as it was unusual.
icon6.gif

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh well ;)

I was nervous like hell before going the first time ( 2005 ) ; talked to tons of people about training there. Read tons of stories , saw the photo's , the videos.... the lot.

and then i got there... tought that i could handle it just like that.... NOT!
At the end of the first day we went for training at hombu.
As we drove in Noda i remebered some places from the photo's that i saw.
Then we arrived at hombu and it was just scary... just the hard reality that it was an image that was at the other end of the world , now being right in front of me...
The reality remained a tough thing during the weeks to follow.
Even so ; i loved every minute of it... it was a dream come true.

A few months ago i had the chance to do it again... it was so good to be back...
But it was a tough time again... everyday reality was unreal / real... just my mind going nuts again.... ;)
Often i tought "what the hell is going on ? i'm 'n00bing' around while i've some of the best players in the world around me!"
It was like some kind of fear... being affraid of screwing up everything while being surrounded by quite a number of seniors....

But after 3 weeks my teacher told me to not worry about anything and to be happy just about being there... and he was right :D
It was amazing to be a part of the crowds again :)

After my first encounter and the second thrill , i'm now working to part three ; the 3rd rush :ultracool
I'm curious allready! :D

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When a friend of mine passed his Godan test it was differant than some of the other's that I have seen. It was like he was blown forward by Soke. Several friend's of mine that are all Japan residents were also shocked by it as it was unusual.
icon6.gif
I'm told I'm leaped sideways several feet still in seiza during mine. I honestly don't remember. I had this feeling that I needed to move NOW, then heard people clapping and realized I already had.

Latest Discussions