ankle lock question

T.Durden

White Belt
Reaction score
how do you actually apply an ankle lock so it , you know, hurts? i had a sparring match today and got my buddy in the move, but i just locked his knee with my legs and twisted his foot in a bad direction so he'd quit. i was trying to get his tenden and bend his foot up but it wasnt happening..so what should have happened?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Without seeing what you did, it's tough to say what went wrong; even harder to make recommendations. The ankle can be bent several ways, each of which hurts. Get with someone who has ankle-lock skills you respect, and have them help you dial it in.

I really good ankle lock should place tension not only at the ankle joint, but on the leg bones that come together to make the ankle...in other words, when you're in one, you should be concerned about your knee popping out, and not just the ligaments frying. You may have had his ligaments; it's only pain. The bones on the other hand...

OP
T

T.Durden

White Belt
Reaction score
basically i put a key lock on his foot and twisted...it hurt like heck because he jumpped and tapped and all that, but i have had a real ankle lock thrown on me and i know it's effect..so from the diagram you apply pressure on the tenden as well as bending the foot back?

D Dempsey

Green Belt
Reaction score
It sounds more like you did a toe hold then an ankle lock. For a good ankle lock you should trap and contol you opponents leg wil your knees similar to an armbar. Once you have the ankle in the pit of your arm sinch up on it and roll you shoulder up and back. The other person should start tapping real quick.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ankle locks are my favorite. Really if you leg scissor the quad and hamstring, get a good torque on the ball of the foot and heel and hook it up dog.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
T.Durden said:
basically i put a key lock on his foot and twisted...it hurt like heck because he jumpped and tapped and all that, but i have had a real ankle lock thrown on me and i know it's effect..so from the diagram you apply pressure on the tenden as well as bending the foot back?

You mean this sort of lock then?

http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29370

OP
T

T.Durden

White Belt
Reaction score
yeah man! thats exactly what I did!! it was a toe lock!! only I was laying down on my back with his leg pinned with both my legs

so step by step

an ankle lock has his foot under neath my arm, my wrist under neath his tenden and then lean back while applying pressure on the actual ankle, securing his qauds with both my legs..causing a hyperextention? without actually having a partner, where is the pain supposed to generate? from the bone or from the actual tendons or both?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are many ways to apply each, but essentially yes, a straight ankle lock is hyperextending the ankle, a toelock does it with a twist. You'll feel it in your ankle.

There are also compression locks where you compress the calf or the Achilles tendon rather then trying to extend the ankle, you'll get very different results on different people with those though ;)

OP
T

T.Durden

White Belt
Reaction score
thank you very much! I'm going to throw this on my partners and then come back with more questions. this forums is extremly helpful!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just be careful, ankle locks are a little dangerous when you are new, make sure you control the leg, apply slow and relax it if he starts trying to pull out, no sense poping a partners ankle out (which happens failry easily when applied right)

WilliamJ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Seriously, unless you have competent instruction don't go leg locking your buddies. If you turn the wrong way and it twists the knee you have some serious trouble. Heel hooks do not really hurt until it's too late. And nobody likes walking on crutches.

tgeer19

White Belt
Reaction score
would someone put me in and ankle lock with ruthless agression

Latest Discussions