Anderson Silva throws shoulder during UFC 148 weigh-in (VIDEO)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...lder-during-ufc-148-weigh-021207137--mma.html

From the link above there is an article and some video of the weigh in and of Silva throwing a shoulder.

First, I would like to say, both fighters made weight easily. One by a pound and wearing shorts and the other by four pounds and wearing shorts. I have seen to many recently struggling to make it. Yes I am fat, but this is their job, so there are different expectations. So kudos to both for taking this serious and doing their job.

Second, I had respect of Anderson for his technique. If you really are that good you should be humble. Yet, disrespecting your opponent to try verbal at press conference and then physical at weigh in is a mind game. A mind game because to me Anderson is afraid he is going to loose this fight. I think this would be good for him. He would be forced to grow and look at what he does and to make sure he takes it seriously.

Just my comments and thoughts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading the title of the thread and the video I thought Silva had injured himself! When we throw a shoulder it means it's injured probably dislocated ie thrown out of place, I couldn't work out how he could have done that at a weigh in. It's probably all set up though, more aggro equals more tickets sales... they hope.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chael's winning the psychological battle at least... he's in Silva's head for sure. LOL. We'll see who wins the physical battle tonight.

"A thinking man has the advantage over the angry man." ~Sensei James White... my first instructor, said that in 1979 and I never forgot it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Silva walked over to Sonnen and said "OK, I'm going to throw a shoulder into your face now, let's make it look like we hate each other and the PPV cut will go sky-high." Sonnen said, "Sounds good to me, man."

And the chumps line up to give them their money. Enjoy the fight!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Spoiler Alert

Chael looked did a great job in the first round. He got the fight where he wanted it and forced Anderson to defend from his back. In the 2nd, it looked like it was heading the same way, but Chael attempted a wild spinning backfist and slipped. Anderson nailed him with a knee to the chest and then finished him. He's got to feel like a total dumbass for attempting that move. IMO, maybe all of the trash talk did nothing but stoke the ego beyond all reason to the point where you would try to do a move like that. He's got to know that Anderson is dangerous...I think he had a chance to win that fight if he could have kept a little more respect for Anderson's abilities.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Spoiler Alert

Chael looked did a great job in the first round. He got the fight where he wanted it and forced Anderson to defend from his back. In the 2nd, it looked like it was heading the same way, but Chael attempted a wild spinning backfist and slipped. Anderson nailed him with a knee to the chest and then finished him. He's got to feel like a total dumbass for attempting that move. IMO, maybe all of the trash talk did nothing but stoke the ego beyond all reason to the point where you would try to do a move like that. He's got to know that Anderson is dangerous...I think he had a chance to win that fight if he could have kept a little more respect for Anderson's abilities.

Just before the spinning backfist attempt, Chael was tagged with some good punches and I think he was hurt. i think he was still groggy, hence him falling down. He also just balled up against the cage afterwards.

The shoulder during the staredown was kinda funny. I remember thinking "oh crap, silva is actually pissed off...... Chael is gonna get killed!" We'd never seen Silva mad at someone before during a fight.

I heard a rumor that he (chael) might be retiring, I hope it's true. I'm not a big fan of cheaters, thieves and loud mouths. YMMV.

Latest Discussions