And this, is to go even further beyond!!!

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have reached a plattoe(SP)

My skills are sharp, and I keep pushing, and that next level is close, and is ready to explode. Belive it or not like in Dragonball Z, real life human people have levels of transformation, maybe not as dramatic as in DBZ, but yet noticable. If you saw me when I first started Karate you would see how much o a change I have had so far. But the question we must ask ourselfs is there an ultimate level. A level that only few attain. Most say humans have an unending amount of potential.

You decide.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sin said:

My skills are sharp, and I keep pushing, and that next level is close, and is ready to explode. Belive it or not like in Dragonball Z, real life human people have levels of transformation, maybe not as dramatic as in DBZ, but yet noticable. If you saw me when I first started Karate you would see how much o a change I have had so far. But the question we must ask ourselfs is there an ultimate level. A level that only few attain. Most say humans have an unending amount of potential.

You decide.

IMO, the potential for people to continue to grow, learn, and get better is always there. There does come a time when we reach that point where it seems our training has leveled off. We may need to evaluate where we are in our training, we may need to take a small break from training, or we may need to find something new to train in. If the arts are something that you enjoy, I certainly wouldn't quit, but take some time and look at where you are in your training. Sometimes making a small change in something we're doing can make a world of difference.

Mike

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The amount of potential grows with each day of training. After that it grows with each day of teaching. After that you realize that "plateaus" continue throughout learning, and sometimes are equal to "epiphanies", which come at different times during both training & teaching.
Kinda like when you're teaching, and when you learn something through explanations that come off the top of your head when explaining certain nuances of movements or techniques. Ever tell yourself "I should've written that down" when explaining certain things when teaching students? Thats what I'm talkin' bout Willis.

Franco

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you always know in your mind if you've peaked or not. Everyone I know in MA has plateaued at some (or many) points and I think we learn to accept this at part of the training cycle. But after understanding what is happening, I believe (though it isn't today) that the day will come when I know I have no more to give. I don't know that, I just feel it. For all of us the day will come when our physical abilities will peak and begin to decline. However, The mental/spiritual side will always continue to grow.

So to answer your question "Is there an ultimate level"? I don't believe there is. I just believe "continuing the journey" will have a different significance than what we thought when we were younger.

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm never gonna stop my training, its that I can feel the next level, and its near. I just have to figure out what I have to do to unlock it.

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
Well, I'm never gonna stop my training, its that I can feel the next level, and its near. I just have to figure out what I have to do to unlock it.
Sin, its great to hear that you are so committed to your training,

I have found that if the material has been thoroughly learnt, a short break may be the trick, It will allow your body the chance to recover and rest, not to mention the mental pressure, that can be associated with your study of the martial arts just relax! About 2-4 weeks, So when you return to your training you will be fresh, within a short time its possible to return to your current level of performance, as the starting point and exceed your current skill levels and understanding.

While this may apply for some, It may not apply for others, generally I have found the more mature student within the art, benefits from such a break because the material has been ingrained enough to allow muscle memory, and primarily will start where he left off, Yet for the beginning student this has adverse affects and the starting point is often the beginning all over again.

So you just have to find out what works for you.

Hope this helped

Cheers

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Time is the only cure, I'm afraid. A break may help; it may not. A change of pace may help--cross-train in something else for a bit. But basically, it'll take time--then you'll come out stronger.

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well its also a new level of fitness I need to achive...., I think running a mile everyday would help with that, and do some lifting or something, I always feel good the next day after a run.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sin said:

You decide.
I dont know if I can realte it to Dargonball, but as you get further in it, physical accomplishments take a secondary outlook.

There is no ultimate level, because the learning process will never cease.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perfection is a road, not a destination. Plateaus happen. It is a natural progression in our training. How we deal with them is the true test of our commitment to our training.

Latest Discussions