An interesting realistic read about M.A.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hold on now -

First of all, the Gracies didn't start the UFC, Art Davie did.

It was Art Davies and Rorion Gracie, because the Gracies have been doing these style vs. style competitions in Brasil since the 1950's or something. And they also had these fights at their BJJ gym in California also.

Much of the speculations about how the early UFC's were fixed to prop up Royce Gracie + BJJ, was probably due to Rorion's involvement in the production.

UFC co-founder Art Davie: Gracies are 'alpha males trying to impress the old man'

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not making any claims just pointing out in an interview years ago either Dana White or Joe Rogan (can't remember) made the comment that the first few UFCs were basically infomercials for the Gracies....and a lot of people took that as it was intentionally set up for Royce. Probably just a poor choice of words.
I truly don't understand what this has to do with what I said.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I truly don't understand what this has to do with what I said.

I was just clarifying that I'm not claiming it was an infomercial....just pointing out where that comment came from

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kimo Leopoldo actually had no formal training in TKD or any other martial art at the time he fought Royce Gracie. His TKD black belt was invented for the purpose of promoting the event.

Actually that's false. Kimo was a wrestler in high school, and from all accounts, he was very good at it. Wrestling definitely counts as a martial art.

He went on to earn his black belt in Bjj. I wonder why..... ;)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But he had no black belt in TKD.

Fair enough, but to say he had no formal MA training is blatantly false. Wrestlers are some of the toughest martial arts practitioners around, especially when they're a lot bigger than you.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually that's false. Kimo was a wrestler in high school, and from all accounts, he was very good at it. Wrestling definitely counts as a martial art.

He went on to earn his black belt in Bjj. I wonder why..... ;)

Part of Kimo's downfall was that ponytail. I remember how incredibly exciting that fight was.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Solid. Big fingers, small button on screen. Got it.
Thank you. For those who don't get it...
download (5).jpg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Speaking of the Gracies ducking people and proof of if they actually did (that was a few pages back), and kinda irrelevant but cool and funny anyway...

Apparently, the Gracies challenged "Judo" Gene LeBelle to fight Royce (not sure when). LaBelle accepted the challenge under one condition - that he fights Helio Gracie first. He stated that Helio Gracie is his contemporary, not Royce or any other Gracie. He said if Helio gets into the ring/octagon first, then he'll fight any and every other Gracie afterward. No reply was given to LaBelle.

That's according to LaBelle. He's made some outrageous claims here and there over the years, but somehow I believe that one.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Speaking of the Gracies ducking people and proof of if they actually did (that was a few pages back), and kinda irrelevant but cool and funny anyway...

Apparently, the Gracies challenged "Judo" Gene LeBelle to fight Royce (not sure when). LaBelle accepted the challenge under one condition - that he fights Helio Gracie first. He stated that Helio Gracie is his contemporary, not Royce or any other Gracie. He said if Helio gets into the ring/octagon first, then he'll fight any and every other Gracie afterward. No reply was given to LaBelle.

That's according to LaBelle. He's made some outrageous claims here and there over the years, but somehow I believe that one.
Gene labelle is a bona fide badass.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
the definition of martial

While I can certainly agree with much of what has been written in regards to staying out of trouble, use of verbal deescalation tactics, avoiding bad places/situations, and the potential legal ramifications of self-defense situations, let's not kid ourselves about the purpose of martial arts. They exist for a reason.

Latest Discussions