Amphibious cars

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You mean, you don't have a spare $155,000 laying around the buy one with? I'm shocked! (not!).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those look great..Unfortunatly I do not have $155,000 laying around..Mia Culpa, Mia Culpa, Mia Maxima Culpa....

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
How about a compromise, Jen?

Visit me in Boston and we can go for a tour on one of these.... :D :D

http://www.bostonducktours.com/

Hehe...Philly has the Duck Tours too. They look pretty neat, but they ain't cheap. ;) Not only that, I'm sure that the Boston Duck Tours are nicer. The Philly Ducks go on the Delaware River, which is *really* nasty water. Eeew...

Anywho...I may just take you up on your offer. It's been a while since I've been to Boston... :D

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Hehe...Philly has the Duck Tours too. They look pretty neat, but they ain't cheap. ;) Not only that, I'm sure that the Boston Duck Tours are nicer. The Philly Ducks go on the Delaware River, which is *really* nasty water. Eeew...

Anywho...I may just take you up on your offer. It's been a while since I've been to Boston... :D

Do they use those beat up old amphibious vehicles from WW2 like in Pittsburgh?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know, I was told my old VW bug could do that... something about the only car of its era that could float...

Not that I want to test the theory, yet.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Now...who wants to buy me a stack of Powerball tickets? I'll let you drive the car if I win... ;)

Tell ya what... once I win the lottery here, I'll be more than happy to buy you one of these.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
Do they use those beat up old amphibious vehicles from WW2 like in Pittsburgh?

Nope. The Philly Ducks look like boats on wheels. It would be cool if they *did* use old military amphibious vehicles.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
http://www.justduckytours.com/

They painted them up nice but they are old Jalopies. They had one sink on them just last summer.

One of then sank? Did it have passengers on board? That would really suck.

I was mistaken about the Philly Ducks. They aren't antiques, but they are modeled after WWII DUKW vehicles: http://www.phillyducks.com/experience-fun/equipment.asp

I may have to cough up the $24 for this tour. Funny to do the "tourist" thing in the city where I live...

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
One of then sank? Did it have passengers on board? That would really suck.

I was mistaken about the Philly Ducks. They aren't antiques, but they are modeled after WWII DUKW vehicles: http://www.phillyducks.com/experience-fun/equipment.asp

I may have to cough up the $24 for this tour. Funny to do the "tourist" thing in the city where I live...

Full of people, but no deaths. The river is reletively calm and of course, rescues were there in minutes.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey said:
You mean, you don't have a spare $155,000 laying around the buy one with? I'm shocked! (not!).

Bah...

Why spend that much, when a handful of ingenious Cubans can do the same for much less? At least their design survived the long journey!

106444955261.jpg

MIAMI -- After trying to first float to the United States in a 1951 Chevy truck and then in a 1959 Buick, a Cuban family has finally made it, this time by taxi. Luis Grass Rodríguez, 36, his wife, Isora Hernández Hernández, 27, and their son, Angel Luis, 5, arrived in Miami on Sunday, more than a year after their second unsuccessful attempt.
"I had a desire to leave Cuba, to live in a place where I wouldn't be bothered, where my children could have a better future and, above all else, freedom," said Grass, who made it to Texas in a cab from Mexico this month. "Unfortunately, that does not exist in Cuba." The Grass family was among the Cubans who made headlines in July 2003 by using a vintage vehicle as a makeshift boat. After their second unsuccessful attempt in February of last year, the U.S. Coast Guard took them to the U.S. naval base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba. After 10 months, U.S. officials relocated the Grass family to Costa Rica in December, and from there the three made their way to Mexico, where on March 12 they took a taxi across the U.S. border at Brownsville, Texas. They asked for political asylum, and federal immigration officials admitted them into the country. Grass, a mechanic, recounted how he and his friends made his Chevy amphibious, assembled it on a beach and launched it in the middle of the night. Cuban Coast Guard officers saw them, but could not believe ....

Latest Discussions