Always Be Alert

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Always Be Alert

This reminds me of the Cooper Color Codes.

Depending on the situation you may not have time to pull out the phone or any other weapon.

Being aware might give you the precious seconds or minutes to avoid a nasty situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
an interesting video
in part one I liked the idea of the dog being there how come he was not in the other sections I wonder

now agreeing that one must be alert the poor guy in the video could have been approaching asking for a light for a cigarette or just decided it was time to go home ( the person not seen was on the path )

Alertness dose not mean being over sensitive to situations

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A common example with the color codes I heard is comparing it to shifting gears in a car. You change awareness depending on the situation.

Some people ask for directions, a cigarette light, the time of day, maybe even some money because that's what they really want, and then there are others that just want to get real close so they can get the first hit.

There was this mugger in Los Angeles that pretended to use the cell phone to close the distance to hit the person. He didn't use a gun or knife.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Always Be Alert

This reminds me of the Cooper Color Codes.

Depending on the situation you may not have time to pull out the phone or any other weapon.

Being aware might give you the precious seconds or minutes to avoid a nasty situation.
It should sound familiar.....i'm sure it's based directly on Cooper's color codes.....nothing new under the sun.

As you point out, I often wonder about the adviseability of 'getting your cell phone ready'.....as if in a sudden and violent assault you are going to be dialing 911 and talking to the operator all while being pummelled. Moreover, 911 is overrated as a self-defense tool as, I can assure you, the Dispatcher CANNOT beam officers on to the scene in seconds just quite yet....and the odds an officer is going to be close enough to do anything but perhaps intercept your attacker after he's finished doing whatever he's doing to you is pretty slim.

Last edited by a moderator:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
A common example with the color codes I heard is comparing it to shifting gears in a car. You change awareness depending on the situation.

Some people ask for directions, a cigarette light, the time of day, maybe even some money because that's what they really want, and then there are others that just want to get real close so they can get the first hit.

There was this mugger in Los Angeles that pretended to use the cell phone to close the distance to hit the person. He didn't use a gun or knife.
In America, we tend to grant far more space than many other cultures......our personal space, especially toward strangers, is several feet.....folks that want to approach us to ask for a cigarette light, the time of day, or money (unless they're trying to intimidate it out of you) tend to stop several feet away to initiate conversation. Your radar should go up if they get inside that normal personal space.....and if they get close enough to touch you, especially in a situation as described on the video, where you're in a quiet park, with no one else a round.....that should set of alarm bells! There's no legitimate reason for a stranger to EVER get within arms reach in that type of environment.

Those people that habitually invade other people's space in those kind of environments are doing so in order to intimidate, at BEST, or even worse to physically harm!

One should add an understanding of interpersonal space to their self-defense repertoir and delienate a LINE for themselves.....I can guarantee that if a stranger walks up and enters my intimate space, within arms reach, in the above environment, i'd be shoving them away and preparing to repel boarders! I consider simply entering my space in such a manner a provocative and threatening act!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting video. Good concept, but not necessarily practical as far as calling 911. Yes, you should be prepared by having your cell phone and housekeys with you. But as already stated, dialing 911 is not likely to be possible under the described circumstances.

We must be aware, but not paranoid. Part of awareness is being perceptive of body language. In the video the guy on the bench approached in an aggressive manner. Since there are also those whose plan is ill-intent but do not approach aggressively, we need to pay attention to our gut feelings. We can pick up on subtleties that make us uncomfortable without actually being able to identify exactly what it is, we just know we feel uncomfortable. It's wise to pay attention to those feelings and not dismiss them because the person approaching seems to mean no harm.

It's true that most people do go through their daily activities with a very low, to no awareness of their surroundings. Being aware, walking with confidence, head up, relaxed but with purpose, and making eye contact can go a long way toward sending the message that you are not an easy target.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting video. Good concept, but not necessarily practical as far as calling 911. Yes, you should be prepared by having your cell phone and housekeys with you. But as already stated, dialing 911 is not likely to be possible under the described circumstances.

We must be aware, but not paranoid. Part of awareness is being perceptive of body language. In the video the guy on the bench approached in an aggressive manner. Since there are also those whose plan is ill-intent but do not approach aggressively, we need to pay attention to our gut feelings. We can pick up on subtleties that make us uncomfortable without actually being able to identify exactly what it is, we just know we feel uncomfortable. It's wise to pay attention to those feelings and not dismiss them because the person approaching seems to mean no harm.

It's true that most people do go through their daily activities with a very low, to no awareness of their surroundings. Being aware, walking with confidence, head up, relaxed but with purpose, and making eye contact can go a long way toward sending the message that you are not an easy target.

Great post Jade...People need to quit walking around with blinders on..

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
The vid. was okay up until the "this is the time to pull out your cell-phone and call 911" part.

In my opinion, calling the police should be left until you have successfully dealt with the situation either by dropping the bad-guy or by escaping to a safe location. Trying to call them as soon as the BG comes after you is only going to be a waste of time (does anyone really think the guy is going to wait politely while you talk to the dispatcher?). Furthermore, even if you did succeed in communicating the necessary info prior to the beginning of the fight, the police won't show up 'till it's over anyway.

On the "car-keys for self-defense" thing, I've always thought this was pretty stupid. Most people are legally allowed to carry some sort of weapon (knife, gun, impact-tool). Even if that's not the case, there are items that make better improvised weapons that keys (flashlights, sharpie-markers, etc.).

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
The vid. was okay up until the "this is the time to pull out your cell-phone and call 911" part.

In my opinion, calling the police should be left until you have successfully dealt with the situation either by dropping the bad-guy or by escaping to a safe location. Trying to call them as soon as the BG comes after you is only going to be a waste of time (does anyone really think the guy is going to wait politely while you talk to the dispatcher?). Furthermore, even if you did succeed in communicating the necessary info prior to the beginning of the fight, the police won't show up 'till it's over anyway.

On the "car-keys for self-defense" thing, I've always thought this was pretty stupid. Most people are legally allowed to carry some sort of weapon (knife, gun, impact-tool). Even if that's not the case, there are items that make better improvised weapons that keys (flashlights, sharpie-markers, etc.).
I've always recommended that folks who live in a location where virtually anything 'weapon like' is banned.....take up playing marbles.......nothing like a heavy sack full of marbles swung by the draw strings!

A heavy pair of socks carried in the pocket with a bar of soap in the other pocket makes a readily available impomptu legal sap that is easily assembled as well.....and I suspect both are......<cough> TSA approved.

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Never thought of using a bag of marbles or soap before.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never thought of using a bag of marbles or soap before.
Legal virtually everywhere on the planet to my knowledge. :wink1:

I mean who would think a bar of soap and spare pair of socks would be dangerous?

In fact.....even if you don't have a bar of soap and a pair of socks in your pocket.....if you have a pair on your feet and two minutes of preparation, you can simply take one off, put your shoe back on, reach down and pick up a handful of rocks, broken concrete, etc...and VOILA!

There's no reason why anyone shouldn't be able to have an impromptu sap at a moments notice. :wink1:

Latest Discussions