Alternate training suggestions requested

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have a speedy recovery and get with me when you're up to it and we'll start the form

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tough luck there Tony. Hope surgery goes well and that you heal quickly and properly.
Of course you can do roadwork, kicks and knees. Leg work (stance and footwork drills) and core strength work. Leg explosion drills (jump box drills), elbow drills. You can do a lot of basic ground drills without using your hands, hip escape drills. Tempering drills (other than the arm with the injured hand)
All the best.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Talk about timing, we're kind of in the same boat.
I took a hard fall through my ceiling while up in the attic last month and busted a couple of ribs, banged up my hip and dislocated my middle finger on my right hand. Ribs and hip are better but I still can't make a fist with my right hand and any contact to it pretty much drops me to my knees.
So....up for a game of chess ?
Once we're both healed we'll have to schedule a long training session together to celebrate.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some good suggestions already! :) Had you considered core work maybe? evasion and footwork maybe? you do not need hands for that, yes? even keep hands behind your back and work body movement and avoidance.. Granted it is a bum situation for you T though it is super that you are redirecting your energies towards the alternatives and keep going.. no thing worse than having the willingness to train and lacking the health for it.. good for you, do not let this stop you and wishes for fast healing, J

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yR8K1YI.jpg
Dude, that sucks.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm scratching you right off the list of who to call for a hole in a dike.

That's one nasty looking break, Tony. I'll bet that puppy hurt a lot that night. You're probably going to have to move easy the first couple weeks. Anything that jars your body is probably going to make that finger angry.

Great suggestions from everyone. I'm sure with all the different things available at your gym you'll occupy your training time wisely. The stick work sounds reasonable, I think knife work using only the off hand will open up new vistas as well.

If you shoot, I'd concentrate more on accessing the weapon with your left hand for the first month than to actually fire.

Did they give you a time frame on healing back to normal?

The bathroom will be an adventure the next few months, too.

Best wishes on a safe, speedy recovery.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you shoot, the first question is: do you have a left handed holster?

I practice shooting with the left hand regularly, but for the longest time it never actually occurred to me that I didn't have a left handed holster.
I have one now, but only one. While I have holsters for all my handguns, since the G19 is the one I carry most often, it's the only one I got a left handed holster for.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good thoughts for a thorough recovery.

I just got my walking boot off friday, two months after ankle surgery. Promptly headed to a saturday eda koppo seminar. I pushed through 2 1/2 hours of a 4 hour class. Still sore today. I should have stopped about an hour sooner.

Listen to your doctor.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anything that jars your body is probably going to make that finger angry.

It's not too bad. I just have to avoid anything that touches the finger, bumps the hand, or shakes the arm too vigorously.

If you shoot, I'd concentrate more on accessing the weapon with your left hand for the first month than to actually fire.

If you shoot, the first question is: do you have a left handed holster?

I don't currently own a gun or carry a knife most of the time. If I did I would absolutely be working on left hand deployment. Right now it's a nuisance just to get my keys out of my pocket.

Did they give you a time frame on healing back to normal?

Not yet. One of my training partners had surgery on his thumb (by the same doctor) earlier this year. He was out for a couple of months and was working with a splint on his hand for a while when he came back.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't currently own a gun
Might also, then, be a good time to investigate a training class on the Pistol. I recommend an NRA Basic Pistol course, which will give the 101 level on a the most common semi-auto handguns, revolvers, and single-shot handguns, as well as the basics of safe use, storage, and marksmanship. Alternately, an NRA First Shots [handgun type] class will be about half as long and focus specifically on one type of handgun, such as the Ruger MKIIII .22LR Target Pistol but will,otherwise, cover the same safe handling, safe storage, and marksmanship skills.

Maybe. If your left hand is "up to the task" and the Instructor can teach non-dominant off-hand shooting ("off-hand" is jargon for "shooting with only one hand" and "non-dominant hand" is self explanatory).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

That does look painful. I wouldn't expect to be back to punching a bag for another three or four months. Whatever you do physically, including just exercise will take time as well, as breaks and the areas around them are sensitive to increases in blood pressure; but you can easily tell when your heart rate is increasing. :( I am reminded of when I broke my big toe in three places, and splattered the joints on it, two on the next toe, and one on the middle toe. You wouldn't believe how almost instinctive it is to twitch you big toe at a certain point, even on crutches.

Were it me, when the pain subsided enough, I would continue stretching, and trying only techniques that didn't require the participation of my right hand. Kicking isn't a bad idea as long as the pain has subsided to the point you have no trouble keeping your balance.

I hope you heal quickly. But don't be surprised if it takes longer than you thought.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So .. it looks like I'm going to be out of jiu-jitsu for a couple of months. Got a finger (right hand) broken during sparring yesterday. I'm going in for surgery on Friday to have the pieces screwed back together.

I figured that I can spend some time knocking the rust off of my kicking skills. However I'm going to get bored just kicking the heavy bag for hours each week. Anyone have any fun suggestions for training exercises I can do over the next 2-3 months that involve no use of or contact to the right hand at all?
Kicks, knees, elbows, palm strikes, left hand punching, cardio work, shaddow boxing

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Owowowowowow. That looks brutal. I can't imagine how much that must have hurt after the adrenaline wore off!

Yeah, get a stick and do some pell work. Or take up military sabre left-handed. That would be the cure for whatever might ail your left hand.

SAConner

White Belt
Reaction score
So .. it looks like I'm going to be out of jiu-jitsu for a couple of months. Got a finger (right hand) broken during sparring yesterday. I'm going in for surgery on Friday to have the pieces screwed back together.

I figured that I can spend some time knocking the rust off of my kicking skills. However I'm going to get bored just kicking the heavy bag for hours each week. Anyone have any fun suggestions for training exercises I can do over the next 2-3 months that involve no use of or contact to the right hand at all?

If you're looking for kicking exercises check out Chloe Bruce and The Ginger Ninja (Aaron Gassor) on youtube, they have some great training guides!

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tony, how did the surgery go?
Went smoothly. The bone was broken into four pieces but the doc fixed it with just two screws. I got into the dojo for a good workout just a couple of days later working on kicks and movement drills.

PSA - if you have surgery and they prescribe Percoset and Zofran for the recovery, go ahead and start taking stool softener at the same time. I didn't know to do so and ended up with a blockage that was more traumatic than the injury and the surgery combined. :(

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Went smoothly. The bone was broken into four pieces but the doc fixed it with just two screws. I got into the dojo for a good workout just a couple of days later working on kicks and movement drills.

PSA - if you have surgery and they prescribe Percoset and Zofran for the recovery, go ahead and start taking stool softener at the same time. I didn't know to do so and ended up with a blockage that was more traumatic than the injury and the surgery combined. :(
I learned that after my ankle surgery in October. Was on percosets for 4 weeks. Now just toughing it through the discomfort, and already back to light training.

Good luck on a speedy recovery.

Latest Discussions