All MA systems equally good for self defense?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
My teacher is really into practical self defense. (Thus why we don't do punches/kicks from a low stance, etc.) However, i think some "everyday weapons" are good... think hitting someone with a heavy purse, stepping on their foot in high heels, smashing their face with a metal water bottle (my mom's favorite!), etc.
This assumes You already have those things.
For those examples; A Heavy Purse needs to be swung. A swing is a big movement, and is easily avoided. Done at close range, itll just give them a sore arm, and likely aggravate the attack. Plus, its Heavy. Heavy things are even slower still.
High Heels sound good in theory, but the other guy is wearing shoes too, and He isnt going to just stand there doing nothing whilst You stomp on His Foot. He is attacking You. He is attacking You quickly. Attacks are fast things. People are not sluggish. And He isnt exactly going to die even if You do get His Foot.
Smashing Their Face with a Metal Water Bottle - This would probably work, albeit it isnt much different to punching them in the face. Except that its a Metal Water Bottle. If You can hit them with that, You can hit them with a fist. This is however, the most sensible example out of all of those Good Sir :)

karatekid13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Of course. That was more for ladies' self-defense (like the heavy purse). Nobody walks around with everything. Hey, if i could walk around with a katana, that's be AWESOME! :p

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
While I think no one style is better than another overall, I do think certain styles are better suited than others. Bagua, for example, would be a great art for self-defense, as it emphasizes reaction. I've found Xing-yi terrible for self-defense, but awesome for aggressive fighting, because part of their core ethos is to not block of dodge, but dominate. That's not self-defense that I know of, where one moves first, or in a reactionary, and then striking first, manner.

Biiiiig difference between art being designed to fight, and art being designed for self-defense, and an art being misapropriatedly being taught as self-defense when it isn't.

Latest Discussions