Affordable Bowie knife?

L

Liam_G

Hi, folks,

I usually post down in the FMA or Aikido sections, but thought I'd ask this question here ...

I wanted to see if anyone has recommendations for a good Bowie knife that won't break the bank. I'd like either a sharpened or sharpenable false edge, and would love the brass strip on the back of the blade (although I doubt that's easy to find on an affordable knife). 8" - 10" blade, although I'd look at shorter knives as well.

Getting interested in large blade stuff, and would appreciate any advice!

Respectfully,
Liam

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by affordable. One that you might consider is the Laredo Bowie by Cold Steel. It has coffin style handles and a partially sharpened false edge. You might also look at the bowies that Atlanta Cutlery sells. They offer quite a few different models in various price ranges.

here are the links to the companies I mentioned...good luck

http://www.coldsteel.com/16cc.html

www.atlantacutlery.com

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Meyerco makes a Western Bowie Knife that is very inexpensive. I'll be publishing a review at The Martialist.

OP
L

Liam_G

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I really like that primitive Bowie from Atlanta Cutlery ... it looks like what I'm looking for, I think. Has the brass strip. I'll have to see if the false edge is sharp/sharpenable. Actually, that knife looks a lot like one that James Keating holds in one of his more commonly seen pictures.

Thanks,
Liam

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I picked up a Laredo Bowie something more than $100 under list on ebay.... Great blade, definately worth the $$$.

Latest Discussions