Advice For A newcommer

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Greetings to all you!!

I am new to Wing Chun I love it!!

I was just hoping some more experienced practitioners could give me some advice on some fundamentals I need to focus on in the beginning.

Any advice is appreciated :asian:

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
White Fox said:
Greetings to all you!!

I was just hoping some more experienced practitioners could give me some advice on some fundamentals I need to focus on in the beginning.

Sure my friend. We were all been once like you and loved to ask questions and sought advice.

I think that you must practise your form at regular basis. SLT form is very important and it teaches you the balance and aquires you the stability between your legs. It also teaches you to breath properly and relax. Remember that you can win or lose a fight by your breathing.

Your attacks must be more concerned to attack rather than fancy looking. You must put in mind that the simpler the moves, the more efficient it is.

Wing chun never never puts a certain rule to punch, kick, grab, etc... like other styles do. You must practise daily so your reflexes would guide you in the fighting using all your body as a weapon. You can also buy the punching bag to train the coordination batween your punches and footwork.

Footwork is the most important thing in Wing Chun. Without proper footwork, many Wing Chun trainers lost encounters thinking that punching is everything, although that punches comes from the force generated by the footwork.

Wish you the best.

Yipman Sifu

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm no expert but, the first advice that came from my head is

1) PATIENCE

the 2nd) thing is

REPETITION

and the 3rd) is to not question your Sifu but question what he teaches and learn to understand what is being taught.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are certain moves within Wing Chun that take some getting used to. In all honesty, the same can be said of most MA. But WC does require a level of perseverance, once you break through, it opens up a whole new world of martial study. Best of luck.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
White Fox said:
Greetings to all you!!

relax

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
White Fox said:
Greetings to all you!!

You have already gotten some very good advise.
Something I stress often is to relax and to go slow. Don't attempt to rush to the next level. Learn to "Feel". Feel everything about your body, weight distribution, center of gravity, feet, legs, arms, chest, back, neck, everything. Feel how your center of gravity changes when breathing, when moving any part of your body; feel which muscles are used and how. Wing Chun properly trained will teach you about your body, how to control it, how to control your opponent's. When you are able to touch hands or arms feel what is happening to you as well as your partner. Feel their breathing, and the changes within their center of gravity.

Wing Chun is very powerful yet very relaxed always controlling. It is a very simple system yet very hard to master for you must master yourself.

Good luck
Danny T

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is my best advice for WC (Applies to all MAs actually)

He who can master to perfection the simplest techniques will win the fight.

Meaning, get the basics down perfect no matter how long it takes. You will win fights with them, not fancy flashy stuff for movies.

OP
White Fox

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you very much everyone.

I will take to heart your advice :asian:

e_speedygonzales

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ric Flair said:
I'm no expert but, the first advice that came from my head is

1) PATIENCE

the 2nd) thing is

REPETITION

and the 3rd) is to not question your Sifu but question what he teaches and learn to understand what is being taught.

Actually, I agree with you 2/3 Your 2nd one is the one i do not agree with. A wise man once told me it is better for you to throw out 5 good quality kicks with emotion and feeling than it is to just throw out 100 kicks.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
e_speedygonzales said:
Actually, I agree with you 2/3 Your 2nd one is the one i do not agree with. A wise man once told me it is better for you to throw out 5 good quality kicks with emotion and feeling than it is to just throw out 100 kicks.

True but repetition is what gets a technique into muscle memory so you can throw out a quality technique.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings!

Welcome to Wing Chun training!

First, be aware of your body and how it feels. Thus you can make it relax at will, since your ability to relax will help you in conserving energy and being able to sense your opponents movement and INTENTION!

Next is to make every move of Sil lum Tao as PERFECT as possible.

This will engrain the angles and structure for successful attacks and defenses. If you practice for 100% effectiveness, when you use it, even 15% will be enough... but only if you practice 100%.

That is enough for now. I'm sure with all this advice you got more than you bargained for!

Enjoy!

Juan M. Mercado

Latest Discussions