Advanced Aikido: Arm Deflections in Randori

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great find, Brian. The arm deflection is something that most beginning students do during tai-sabaki to help cover up poor timing or movement. It's amazing that the same movement or concept needs to be trained out of an individual and then retrained back into them. I guess doing it with a purpose as opposed to a panic driven deflection makes all the difference. ;)

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great find, Brian. The arm deflection is something that most beginning students do during tai-sabaki to help cover up poor timing or movement. It's amazing that the same movement or concept needs to be trained out of an individual and then retrained back into them. I guess doing it with a purpose as opposed to a panic driven deflection makes all the difference. ;)

anybody say full circle ;-)

/yari

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's interesting to see that it looks very similar to the deflections in Pencak Silat.

Is this really taught as 'advanced' in aikido? After all, to me, being able to deflect an attack seems to be the most important basic skill...

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...Is this really taught as 'advanced' in aikido? After all, to me, being able to deflect an attack seems to be the most important basic skill...

No and yes. Deflecting is a part of Aikido, and so is "standing your ground". 95% of the time you "deflect", either by taking the "energi" in and pushing it back or you take out the energi of the attck and then use the off balance.

I'm thinking that what makes this advance is the pratices of continues flow between oppenents. Showing that deflesting and placing yourself compared to another attacker is advanced.

/yari

Latest Discussions