A tribute to British Police

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this when looking for something else. It's quite touching.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zud_W... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a9zNgGjuKHU

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very touching Tez. It's always nice to have the positives of Law Enforcement shown rather than the bad apples all the time. Thanks for posting. :asian:

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually surprised to find them as there is as you say so much negative stuff about police these days. It used to be a career people went into 'to serve' and that was respected by the public, now though along with teachers, medical staff etc it's viewed as just a job and no one respects anyone anymore.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I liked the first one. Not so sure about the second. Do the majority of todays police really feel like it says at the start of the video? Thats not a knock, its a gen up question.

It used to be a career people went into 'to serve' and that was respected by the public, now though along with teachers, medical staff etc it's viewed as just a job and no one respects anyone anymore.

I think you're right there and its very sad. Many members of my family have been both military and civillian police throughout the years and even I today have little time for them anymore.

I think that most of the problems are government caused. A lot of my gripe is the recruitment procedure and the fact that police seem to focus on soft crime these days (like speeding).

I dont think the recent pay issue did the police any favours either. The whole thing is pretty indictive of decline of the British Empire really. Chavs dont like police, and chavs seem to hold the power these days, in some bizarre twist of fate!

I dont think I see a way of making things better, except repealling the human rights act and strengthening the police's position and numbers. I do still admire the ideals. BTW Tez, the above thoughts were generated with Hants (Civvy) Police in mind. I have always found the MoDplod to be superb.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whilst it is true that I've been as guilty of anyone of griping about the police only seeming to focus on easy-numbers 'crimes' such as minor motoring offences, I am also aware that that perception is a flawed one.

Whilst the Force has never been of any direct use to me when I have been the victim of crime I am still reassured whenever I see a couple of Bobbies walking the beat, especially late at night.

That feeling that they do much more 'good' than I ever see has grown stronger as I've gotten older and realised just how hard it is to truly measure the effectiveness of a deterent against an unknown quantity.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is the government, it is performance figure mad! They want figures for everything, they want stacks of paperwork and they want percentages.
A lot of work used to be done in crime prevention but that's dropped because you can't measure how many crimes have been prevented! doing a stop and search requires a book to be filled in at the time so that has to be carried, more time is spent on paperwork than is ever done on crime detection, the government wants it's figures and if it doesn't get them funding is withheld. I believe this is the same though with schools and the NHS.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem is the government, it is performance figure mad! They want figures for everything, they want stacks of paperwork and they want percentages.
A lot of work used to be done in crime prevention but that's dropped because you can't measure how many crimes have been prevented! doing a stop and search requires a book to be filled in at the time so that has to be carried, more time is spent on paperwork than is ever done on crime detection, the government wants it's figures and if it doesn't get them funding is withheld. I believe this is the same though with schools and the NHS.

Heisenberg Metric Principle - The act of measuring something affects the results of what's being measured

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I sympathise. It must be very difficult to work under those constraints.

Dont want to hijack your thread, but in a similar vein you might like this. Try and watch it without getting fired up!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How powerful was that! Thanks for linking to it, FD :tup:.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tez I was thinking about this a lot yesterday.

I want to say for the record that I absolutely respect the ideals of the organisation and the integrity, dedication and sacrifice of people who choose to serve their country in this vital way.

I was concerned that my post above may have led people to believe differently.

Thank you for standing on that wall.

Latest Discussions