A Self-Defense Reading List

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given the limitations of unarmed defence in the modern world, much concentration must be given, IMO, to strategies and tactics to avoid confrontations and violent situations or, failing that, strategies for survival should you be faced with an unavoidable violent situation. There are many good books out there that address the subject and I'd like to encourage members to ADD to the list. These are some of the more obvious ones:

"The Gift of Fear" by Gavin De becker: excellent advice on listening to your instincts as well as not succumbing to common street tricks. Good information on stalkers, relationships to avoid or flee, and psychological tips for spotting predators and dangerous situations.

"Strong on Defense" by Sanford Strong: excellent advice from a former law enforcement officer on what to do when it is already too late and you are confronted with a violent situation. His rule #1? Do not go with them! He calls the isolated area where they wish to take you "crime scene #2" - which usually ends in either death or serious injury.

"Emotional Vampires" by Albert J. Bernstein, Ph.D.: Given that a lare proportion of victims of violent crime KNEW their attackers, it makes sense to be able to spot individuals who may be suffering from personality disorders. Covers the Sociopath, the Narcissist, etc. Great information on dealing with or extricating yourself from contact with such persons.

There are, of course, many other excellent titles but I will not list more than these few as I want other member's input. Especially requested are books on information defense and security (and privacy) in our digital age.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
All of Geoff Thompsons books are worth a read, well put together and insietfull

particularly "dead or alive"

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Training at the Speed of Life" by Ken Murrary is also a good read...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Also a good read is some of "Marc the Aninmal,MacYoung" books!

"Attack Proof" is another one. Loren Christenson is also is a great author with lots of common sense about martial arts! ( I like him because his thoughts(books) is base on his experience and modern day thinking.( got three of them so far.)

..........Aloha

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Judo for Self Defense by Gene Le Bell. It's a great book, and written entirely in rhyme :) All the techniques are cool and effective!

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree with STILL LEARNING above - anything written by Loren Christensen is worth a read! Real no-nonsense self defense material by a straight forward guy.

BigCat63

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"Eyes Wide Open" by Kristi Killgore
Awesome read for anyone but particularly for women.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I just order "Strong on defense" and "Dead or Alive. Should be arriving in a week or so. Looking forward to reading those books. Thank-you for sharing. ..............Aloha

Latest Discussions