a question

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Read the FAQ thread at the top of the forum. If you are not willing to take the time to read things like that, there is no reason for anyone else to take time typing out an answer to what you ask. Your question shows a lack of respect towards others.

Welcome to martialtalk. I hope you learn a lot from your experiences here. Starting with how to use the resources already availible. There is also a thing called the search function here as well.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Basically it ( Ninjitsu ) is a spelling mistake made in the English language.
The correct spelling and pronunciation is Ninjutsu .

The first spelling is also what many people who claim to teach the art use if they have never really studied in Japan and therefore have no idea what the name truly is

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Teppan.

I believe it's a spelling error. The FAQ will tell you much in advance about some things ninja and I encourage you to read it - it was enlightening to me as well!

Welcome to MT! :)

OP
T

Teppan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Read the FAQ thread at the top of the forum. If you are not willing to take the time to read things like that, there is no reason for anyone else to take time typing out an answer to what you ask. Your question shows a lack of respect towards others.

Welcome to martialtalk. I hope you learn a lot from your experiences here. Starting with how to use the resources already availible. There is also a thing called the search function here as well.

Sorry. I'm new at this, I'm just learning how to tie the belt,bowing,seiza,hira,ect... Forgive my ignorance or lack of knowledge. Thanks.

OP
T

Teppan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Hello Teppan.

I believe it's a spelling error. The FAQ will tell you much in advance about some things ninja and I encourage you to read it - it was enlightening to me as well!

Welcome to MT! :)

Thanks. I'm just starting in the martial arts. I'm just learning how to tie the belt, bowing, warm-ups, basic postures, rolls, ect... Thanks again :)

OP
T

Teppan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Basically it ( Ninjitsu ) is a spelling mistake made in the English language.
The correct spelling and pronunciation is Ninjutsu .

The first spelling is also what many people who claim to teach the art use if they have never really studied in Japan and therefore have no idea what the name truly is

Thanks. I'm just starting in the martial arts. Now i know. Thanks for the lesson. Domo-arigato-gozaimas.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No problem
now foryour nxt lesson You could have 9 id you had wanted 0 thanked us allin one thread. That being said your welcome and I look forwad to seeing what other questions you have.
May i ask what system (school ) you study in (at) and please let us know off and on how your learning is going

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teppan said:
Sorry. I'm new at this, I'm just learning how to tie the belt,bowing,seiza,hira,ect... Forgive my ignorance or lack of knowledge. Thanks.

Eh, sorry about that. We get a lot of people in here sometimes that have actually told us that they don't have time to read through threads and want us to take the time to type out answers to their questions. It is easy to view newbies like yourself who just don't know with those that somehow expect us to hand answers to them on a silver platter.

My advice is to read through a lot of the threads here. There is a lot of information in some of them and you might find answers to questions you have. You might find answers to questions you did not even know you had.

One of the skills we strive for is how to aquire information. Skillfull use of the resources here is a tool you can use.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Teppan said:

everyone starts "someplace". good luck in your martial endeavors!

OP
T

Teppan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi and thanks again. I have found many answers to many of my questions. And many more that i did not knew about. Very enlightening. Thanks.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Teppan said:
Hi ,i'm a beginner. Can anybody tell me the difference betwen Ninjutsu and Ninjitsu?

I know the difference between Karate and Judo. One's a martial art, the other is what we make bagels out of.

OP
T

Teppan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm learning Bujinkan budo taijutsu form a student of a 5th degree instructor who is living in Argentina.

OP
T

Teppan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi and thanks again. I learned many answers to many of my question and many others that nevever knew about. I started this i guess like many. By Mr. Hayes books on my own since where i live ninjutsu it's very ilegall. I wrote to Mr. Hayes in 1997 and then he was sending me this newsletter called the Musubi till 1999. Before the Quest Centers there was Nine Gates Institute. As i was looking in the FAQ Mr. Hayes is now a grand master of a new martial art called to-shin-do. I'm confused...Always knew that Ashida Kim, Haha Lung and Ron Duncan were not on the right path. I'm starting on the sanchin no kata.My instructor is a 2nd degree and a student of shihan Cristian Tenryu Petroccello who is currently teaching in Argentina who's sensei is soke hatsumi. I hope i'm on the right path. We train in a small bamboo forest south of my house. He was practicing with a bo when i saw him and asked if it was ninjutsu and he said it was called bujinkan budo taijutsu. I did some research and it all came out true. So i started training with him. We are now seven students. There's this group that did not accepted me for training because i said to them that the Koga Ryu Nin-do never existed , not even the word nin-do. I hope i learn many more things here at this forum from all the great people here. Thanks again and may happiness be always present in every day of our lives.

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
Teppan said:
i saw him and asked if it was ninjutsu and he said it was called bujinkan budo taijutsu.....

Thats a good sign.

:)

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teppan said:
By Mr. Hayes books on my own since where i live ninjutsu it's very ilegall.

Huh?:confused: There is actually a country where ninjutsu is outlawed? Please, tell us where. I have never heard of this before.

SAMurai9964

White Belt
Reaction score
Teppan

In an attempt to explain your question about Mr. Hayes being a grand master of To-Shin-Do (with out offending anyone) To-shin-do is not all that different from What the Bujinkan teaches. The Both teach techniques from the 9 traditions that Takamatsu taught Hatsumi. To-shin-do as taught through my old Quest center, had a different Kyu (colored belt) cirriculum. Many of the techniques in To-shin-do are based on Gyokko Ryu kata, with what seems like a small infusion of Koto Ryu kata. To shin do schools have separate classes where the techniques of the origional 9 traditions are taught. There are also differenes in dojo ediquette, class structure and a few other things.

I hope this briefly and objectivly sums up To-Shin-Do for you. I'm sure that if you have any questions you can check out another forum on To-Shin-Do. or check out the Quest Web site. I wouldn't sweat it too much though, there are no To-shin-do schools outside of the USA to my knowledge.

Besides, what is important is that you are training. No matter what organization we are affiliated with we are learning things from the same source, Takamatsu sensei. whether you be a Bujinkan, Genbukan, To-Shin-Do, or Jizaikan person, were are all striving for what we believe is right for us.

I'm glad to hear that you have found what you are looking for, so please work hard, and make good use of you training, judging by one of you previous postings, your training situation is much closer to the experiences our martial arts ancestors had during the feudal ages of Japan.

Sorry, I'm kind of long winded, again I hope this helps, and study hard

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SAMurai9964 said:
To-shin-do is not all that different from What the Bujinkan teaches. The Both teach techniques from the 9 traditions that Takamatsu taught Hatsumi.

I do not think that Toshindo teaches much from schools like Gyokushin ryu, Kumogakure ryu and Gikan ryu. I know of a few Bujinkan schools that make that claim and I point out that most people in the Bujinkan just have never been exposed to anything from them. I have seen some from each, and that makes me more experienced than most, and I would not say that I could actually teach something from those schools.

Stick around in the Bujinkan and maybe you will see Hatsumi someday teach this stuff. He has shown bits and peices from time to time. Like during the year of koppojutsu. So it is true when you say that it is taught in the Bujinkan. But most people who list these schools as part of the schools they teach just do not know the first thing about them. Manaka supposably says straight out that he only teaches six of the schools because that is all that he has been shown and what he feels safe in saying he can teach. If he can't make the claim to teach the rare three, I do not see how the rest of us can.

OP
T

Teppan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Huh?:confused: There is actually a country where ninjutsu is outlawed? Please, tell us where. I have never heard of this before.[
/quote]

I live in the carribean. I've lived in the U.S. virgin islands and Puerto Rico. I check the puertorrican laws and it was stated that in an article about martial arts the arts of the ancient ninja were illegal and if used by somebody for self defence, it can not be proved in court. It says that ninjutsu's techniques are purely agresive and not intended for self defence purposes. A police officer once showed me a paper stating that if a person is cought whit a shuriken in his home he gets 6 months in jail, and if the throwing star is home made the person can get 5 more months.(I have resorted to constructing my own swords, knives, stars , spikes, sitcks, staffs,chains, even a single shot hand gun)All from home depot. So you can imagine how i felt when this cop told me that. I was just currious and scarred. I guess that the public and the martial arts comunity must know the truths about some martial arts. So when ever there's a ninja school i go to check it out. Then you see dojo names such as" The Koga Ryu NIN-DO school for ninjas" and once you go inside it's basically shotokan karate , kodokan judo and kobudo weapons combined(sai, tonfa, nunchaku) Holywood type ninjas. It's hilarious. Since there's no shuriken training they are not illegal. We are training with black karate pants, a white belt and a black t-shirt due to the heat. Only on specific flea markets can you find swords, airguns and shurikens. Not even BB guns are legal to own or so i heard. I got all this information att the Ponce P.R. Expert's shoting club. Archery is allso out of the question. You could get 2 years in jail for posesing in you home a crossbow. So if there is anybody teaching in P.R. some form of budo taijutsu please let me know just to check it. Couse the laws where very cleared to me. I heard that once you order a weapon even a hanbo The autorities are aware of it secretly. P.R. is one of the countries with the most weapon laws in the world. Strange it may sound San Juan has one of the biggest crime rates in the world. I guess that criminals are better equip than the authorities. In the U.S. there's a lot of freedom and in many parts of the world. I would like to go there some day. Thank God I can speak English. I'm also learning German.
I wrote to shihan Richard van donk and he said to me that there are other people in the island that are practicing from his dvd's and that he hopes to meet me some day. I'm trying to contact them and also ordering some of his dvds. As i read in the FAQ they are very helpful in the learning process. I remember that a person told me a long time ago that "perhaps you are the only person in the island that is practicing authentic ninjutsu form hayes books, you are verry strange, ninjas and samurai are long gone" that was in 1996. I didn't pay attention and just kept looking. Finally i found this guy with the rokushaku bo. I have endure for twelve years. I'm 29 now. So when ever i make a teppan shuriken i take it out side my home shop pointed at the sky and give one prayer to Daisuke nishina, to Zenjubo Sugitani, to moko no tora and another for Hatsumi sensei. Thanks. And verry interesting stuff about SKH and not been part of the bujinkan in the FAQ. I'm learning a lot from the FAQ. Thanks Don Roley. I wrote an experience of shoten no jutsu to a post started by Kisaru. Thanks again...

OP
T

Teppan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well my confussion is gone. Now i understand to-shin-do a bit more. I hope the laws here change a bit. I have stop constructing tools. I have learned many leassons. :boxing: Training is hard but i love it. My cousin said that there's another new school for ninjas, we'll check it out. Whait there's no need anymore. Thanks.:)

Latest Discussions