A question.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
this is either instep or lower shin. i doubt that anyone would target exactly with the ankle if anyway possible since people are moving. but the goal wouldn't be to hit with the ankle.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
sure one can. but one shouldn't. i can also strike with my neck under circumstances. but it is wise?

I really think it depends on your level of skill, conditioning, and of course, the situation. With my half-crippled old ankles, it would be a bad choice anytime, but as Jow Ga's MMA photos show, ankle or top-of-the-instep kicks definitely have their place.

You could compare it to using your arm to strike with the fist, the palm, the forearm, or the elbow. Each has it's place. Like the roundhouse kick with the ankle or the ball of the foot, punching with the fist against a hard target requires conditioning and good technique or you can suffer injury. Hitting with a palm or forearm is less risky, but sacrifices range and versatility. A good martial artist should be able to handle a variety of tools.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just don't want you to think you can go around killing things with your shin without proper conditioning. If Muay Thai fighters condition their shins then that's a good sign of what you'll need to do to keep yourself from damaging your leg.

Oh by the way don't do any of that crazy hard conditioning technique for the shin. You want to condition it slowly

So no kicking trees?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So no kicking trees?
ha ha ha.. definitely not that. Bone conditioning is a slow and gentle process, when you see people hitting their shins hard, it's because they are at a higher level of conditioning and aren't starting out that way. Even though it looks to us like that person is hitting their shins really hard, it's still gentle in reference to their level of conditioning.
Bone Conditioning should NEVER be like this. They are causing tremendous amount of damage to his shins.

The good news for you is that light to medium shin conditioning is more than enough to hurt the majority of people out there.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
My sifu said that bags filled with sand should give you enough conditioning. What do you think of that?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My sifu said that bags filled with sand should give you enough conditioning. What do you think of that?
From previous discussions I would just follow what he says. Based on the things I've heard about him so far, it seems he know's what he's talking about. Everything that he's been saying about your technique has been correct. Looks like you have a good Sifu with some knowledge.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
From previous discussions I would just follow what he says. Based on the things I've heard about him so far, it seems he know's what he's talking about. Everything that he's been saying about your technique has been correct. Looks like you have a good Sifu with some knowledge.

He is a little full of himself sometimes. He loves his long wavy hair a little too much and has posters of himself with quotes on them like "practice, patience, perseverance." And stuff like that.

But beyond that which isn't too much of a big deal he is a very nice guy who loves to help others get better.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He is a little full of himself sometimes. He loves his long wavy hair a little too much and has posters of himself with quotes on them like "practice, patience, perseverance." And stuff like that.

But beyond that which isn't too much of a big deal he is a very nice guy who loves to help others get better.

Practice, patience and perseverance sounds like a winning plan to me. Being a nice guy who loves to help others sounds pretty good, too.

As for hair, I doubt anyone really gives a s. Including him.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I really think it depends on your level of skill, conditioning, and of course, the situation. With my half-crippled old ankles, it would be a bad choice anytime, but as Jow Ga's MMA photos show, ankle or top-of-the-instep kicks definitely have their place.

You could compare it to using your arm to strike with the fist, the palm, the forearm, or the elbow. Each has it's place. Like the roundhouse kick with the ankle or the ball of the foot, punching with the fist against a hard target requires conditioning and good technique or you can suffer injury. Hitting with a palm or forearm is less risky, but sacrifices range and versatility. A good martial artist should be able to handle a variety of tools.

not ure if you got me right. arm strike is a good idea. i'm talking about joints, ligaments, not the bones.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You discuss so much shin conditioning.
If you're not a competitor and are training regularly, I don't understand the relevance of 'special' conditioning.
I always kicked ONLY people and always LIGHT contact. And if shin against shin happens I can largely survive. I may be a bit 'insensitive' and many years of (even) light kicks eventually did something. But it happens, naturally. Am I wrong, or am I special??
PS: Protect yourself from yourself first. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
not ure if you got me right. arm strike is a good idea. i'm talking about joints, ligaments, not the bones.
Martial Joint Strikes come in the form of Knee, Elbow, Wrist, Ankle, Knuckle, Shoulder, Ball of the foot and Heel attacks
These areas are attached with ligaments,and tendons and often require conditioning in order to be able to use them with maximum efficiency.
  • Tendons and ligaments in the knee are conditioned through stance training, forms, and kata, and repetitive kneeing of hard pads.
  • Tendons and ligaments in the wrist are conditioned through wrist curls, either using a weight or staff, push ups, knuckle push ups, wrist push ups, iron rings and striking hard pads with the wrist.
  • Tendons and ligaments in the knuckles are often conditioned by knuckle push ups, punching pads without gloves, Iron palm training, gripping exercises, grappling drills, chin na exercises and some other exercises.
  • Tendons and ligaments in the elbow are also condition through push ups and pull ups in various positions, staff training, and other various exercises.
  • Tendons and ligaments in the shoulder are conditioned through big arm swings,push ups, pull ups, dumb bell flys, arm extensions without weights and with weights.
Some joints require more conditioning than others and most are conditioned only as much as the person thinks they should condition them.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You discuss so much shin conditioning.
If you're not a competitor and are training regularly, I don't understand the relevance of 'special' conditioning.
I always kicked ONLY people and always LIGHT contact. And if shin against shin happens I can largely survive. I may be a bit 'insensitive' and many years of (even) light kicks eventually did something. But it happens, naturally. Am I wrong, or am I special??
PS: Protect yourself from yourself first. :)
My shins are harder than most people who don't train. I think this is true for anyone that trains and kicks the pads. If someone is looking at it from a self-defense perspective then a person who trains is better off, in terms of shin conditioning, than someone who doesn't. It shouldn't take much conditioning beyond everyday training to survive a shin clash against someone who doesn't train.

Latest Discussions