A quandry

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What would you do if you found out that the organization that your school, where you got excellent instruction, is nominally a part of an organization that is a load of crap? I can go into details later, but the more research I do, the more I am disgusted with the org.

Jeff

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
What would you do if you found out that the organization that your school, where you got excellent instruction, is nominally a part of an organization that is a load of crap? Jeff

Is it THAT bad???

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've tried talking to my instructor, but he avoids the subject rather deftly. I think he is a little embarassed by the situation as well. I'm lucky in the fact that even before he became affiliated with this org., he was an acomplished martial artist, just in a different style (TKD).

To address Drac's question, yes it is. It's another one of those I got a 3rd (or maybe just second) in something and a 1st in another, so I'll start my own style and become a 10th dan things.

Jeff

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
To address Drac's question, yes it is. It's another one of those I got a 3rd (or maybe just second) in something and a 1st in another, so I'll start my own style and become a 10th dan things

That doesn't sound good! If you bail what happens to your training???

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see 2 choices:
If you are getting good instruction and enjoy what you are learning stick with your instructor and learn
If the whole thing is that bad and your instructor will not discuss the subject you may want to look else where.
It seems a shame that your instructor has got into such an organization but he got in and must have known what he was doing so he may be looking for quick rank also. If not then why is he still in it.

Question: Of your instructor has rank in TKD but is not teaching TKD what is he teaching? Dose he have training in this other system r was he given rank when he joined the organization and is now making up his own system as he goes along?
Not trying to stir the pot here i am just throwing out questions and thoughts

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There always seems to be some sort of Dojo Drama going on in organizations. There's just no escaping it. If you like your instructor and enjoy the training then stay. Even though your instructor won't discuss the issue with you, it could be because he doesn't want you involved in the drama. You could ask him to test you and grade you according to his own standards and not that of the larger organization because you would rather not be affiliated with it. Good luck in your decision. :asian:

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I was told about the situation, hearing it from someone who was there at the time, my instructor jumped aboard when introduced to the jujitsu because he'd never seen anything like that. Only many years later did they start to doubt the head of the organizations credentials. As of now, he hasn't been in contact with the org's head for at least 8-10 years.

He still teaches TKD and does an excellent job of it. He did work his way up the ranks in the jujitsu style, but what I am seeing it's not as organized as other styles. I'm starting to attribute this to the fact that the person he learned from maybe didn't have the depth of understanding he should have had. That being said, one thing my instructor does excel in is wrist bends. After many seminars with some big names and who knows how many videos and DVDs, I've yet to come across someone who does, or teaches them better. I feel however, that I'm not getting the whole picture of Japanese jujitsu. Unfortunately, there are no other good schools of it in the area.

Hope that clarifies my situation a little bit,

Jeff

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you like what he is teaching stay with him.
A loyal student is some times hard to find.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
If you like what he is teaching stay with him

That sounds like the best advice..

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's what I'm leaning towards right now. I will be expanding my combative learning in a few other directions though.

Jeff

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Been there, done that! I have an excellent instructor, who did a great job of shielding us (students) from the politics in the larger organization, but did make us aware of them when we started visiting other classes, so we would understand comments made to us by other students/instructors. When he left that organization and helped found a new one, I went with him, because I felt it was in the best interests of my students.

Like any other activity involving large numbers of people, dojang politics can really, truly, suck. If you are happy with the instruction you are receiving, and the politics in the larger organization don't affect you, I would continue to do research. If your instructor sidesteps the issue, chances are he doesn't want to get you, or himself, further involved. Not knowing your instructor, I can't say what his reaction would be, but I would suggest bringing up a specific question/issue rather than a broad concern, and asking about that, then work your way into larger concerns from there. If the organizational issues are so bad that you have moral concerns, discuss them with him and tell him why the issues concern you so much.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you in the future.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the good advice. I have to admit, part of my problem is really kind of silly. I know I have some good skills when it comes to the jujitsu, but whenever someone who has a clue asks me what style I study, it's an embarassment to tell them. It disgusts me what the "founder" of this did. Just what we need, another American "Soke".

I am fortunate enough though that my instructor did take what he leaned and really did a good job of expanding upon it.

Thanks again,

Jeff

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stick with the teacher you have. To find a good teacher is priceless. Anyone can show technique it is another thing entirely to be a teacher.

Keikai

Rest In Peace
Reaction score
My question would be "what degree of involvment does the organisation have in your training/grading?" If your instructor has not seen the head an for 8-10 years I would be inclined to say not much. Stay with the man who is actually doing something for you.

I must confess a little confusion about the degree of influence that organisations have on individual dojos. Living in a remote capital city we had very little to do with organisations - for many years my teacher refused to join any and when we hepled form a new one the rules of the organisation forbid interference in the syllabus, grading and development of the individual dojos and styles. The main reason for the organisation is a friendly exchange of information and contacts and to foster a professional approach to teaching and training. It also helps with public liability insurance. Apart from that we are free to run our schools. Mind you this is for ju jutsu which has a number of different styles all within the one organisation.

Greg Palmer

Tsutsumi Ryu Ju Jutsu

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
That's what I'm leaning towards right now. I will be expanding my combative learning in a few other directions though.

Jeff
I say the same! If you enjoy it, if it makes good practical sense too you... then ENJOY! Have fun.
The expansion sounds good, but try to make it either compensatory (giving you something that's not covered/included or emphasized in your current training) or cohesive (similar too, but not contradicting your current training).
This is a trick to do.
Proceed, but do so with Caution.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions