Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Correct you are, forgive my hasty response. :asian:

Nothing to for Give Amigo.
it's just a name :partyon:

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Typically, MMA means any of the hybrid martial arts systems, typically seen in NHB competitions. not always though. Mixed martial arts is one style and philosophy that borrows the techniques and concepts of several different arts.
This excludes arts like Taekwondo, Shito ryu, and most "traditional" arts, simply because
1.they do not bill themselves as MMA
2. They contain techniques in an unaltered form, passed own in tradition

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shogun said:
Typically, MMA means any of the hybrid martial arts systems, typically seen in NHB competitions. not always though. Mixed martial arts is one style and philosophy that borrows the techniques and concepts of several different arts.
This excludes arts like Taekwondo, Shito ryu, and most "traditional" arts, simply because
1.they do not bill themselves as MMA
2. They contain techniques in an unaltered form, passed own in tradition

The exception being Ernie Reyes West Coast Tae Kwon Do. To my amazement Ernie's TKD is evolving with times. They are teaching headlocks / guitine chokes, lapel chokes, rear naked chokes, take downs, the guard, escaping the guard, taking the mount.

It's still a Tae Kwon Do class. They do the forms and TKD sport sparring but have added a self defense element that caught me by surprise. At first I thought they were a bit sloppy but after watching them week after week I recognized that they've re-vamped they're system to survive in todays world.

My Eskrima teacher is master ranked in TKD under Ernie which he started when he was young and he teaches Eskrima at a West Coast school after the TKD classes are over. Thats how I came across this first hand.

One element in my system that won't be seen in freestyle martial arts is "my warrior code" which is on my homepage. It's bits and pieces of writings from over time but some of students come from the "street" and I expect them to leave that behind them. In my system for the most they are black belt or they are not. The academy pays they're test fees. So they don't get any certificates until black belt with the exception of "apprenticeships" which is a case by case basis. It's my quality control.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
To Ace:

I didn't say that the UFC was the first MMA style competition, I said that the TERM "MMA" to a lot of people starts with the first UFC. How many people had heard of those other events on a wide scale before the UFC in the US?

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

With all the additional techniques from different styles, is it still Tae Kwon Do? If you throw a quart of ink into a quart of water, is it still water?

akja said:
The exception being Ernie Reyes West Coast Tae Kwon Do. To my amazement Ernie's TKD is evolving with times. They are teaching headlocks / guitine chokes, lapel chokes, rear naked chokes, take downs, the guard, escaping the guard, taking the mount.

It's still a Tae Kwon Do class. They do the forms and TKD sport sparring but have added a self defense element that caught me by surprise. At first I thought they were a bit sloppy but after watching them week after week I recognized that they've re-vamped they're system to survive in todays world.

My Eskrima teacher is master ranked in TKD under Ernie which he started when he was young and he teaches Eskrima at a West Coast school after the TKD classes are over. Thats how I came across this first hand.

One element in my system that won't be seen in freestyle martial arts is "my warrior code" which is on my homepage. It's bits and pieces of writings from over time but some of students come from the "street" and I expect them to leave that behind them. In my system for the most they are black belt or they are not. The academy pays they're test fees. So they don't get any certificates until black belt with the exception of "apprenticeships" which is a case by case basis. It's my quality control.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
With all the additional techniques from different styles, is it still Tae Kwon Do? If you throw a quart of ink into a quart of water, is it still water?
Thats a good question. On some nights it's pure TKD. Other nights they are in a type of "self defense mode." They don't "roll" like in BJJ, just doing for the most part singular & combo techniques along with the escapes.

I think that one could ask that same question of Combat Hapkido and it is recognized by Korea.

OP
R

Rikki

I think that Mixed Martial Arts is a horrible name for what I do because of this confusion. I don’t do a mixed martial art; I do Mixed Martial Arts. Not to say that TKD that also grapples isn’t a mixed martial art but it’s not the same as Mixed Martial Arts.

If I was looking for a new place to train in MMA and I walked into a school that advertised itself as such and they didn’t do striking / wrestling / clinch / ground fighting I would be very upset.

To me, MMA isn’t necessarily a style because there are so many different factors that make it MMA. If an art doesn’t practice everything against a resisting opponent, it is not MMA. If an art doesn’t show you how to combine your stand-up skills with your ground skills, it’s not MMA.

It is my belief that if a school has a boxing class and they have a wrestling class and they have a jiu-jitsu class, but no class that mixes all those together, they are not an MMA school.

That’s just my opinion.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Rikki said:
I think that Mixed Martial Arts is a horrible name for what I do because of this confusion. I don’t do a mixed martial art; I do Mixed Martial Arts. Not to say that TKD that also grapples isn’t a mixed martial art but it’s not the same as Mixed Martial Arts.

If I was looking for a new place to train in MMA and I walked into a school that advertised itself as such and they didn’t do striking / wrestling / clinch / ground fighting I would be very upset.

To me, MMA isn’t necessarily a style because there are so many different factors that make it MMA. If an art doesn’t practice everything against a resisting opponent, it is not MMA. If an art doesn’t show you how to combine your stand-up skills with your ground skills, it’s not MMA.

It is my belief that if a school has a boxing class and they have a wrestling class and they have a jiu-jitsu class, but no class that mixes all those together, they are not an MMA school.

That’s just my opinion.
Hello Rikki,

I agree with the majority of what you said/wrote/expressed (mixed communications?). The rub is that every style on my list does mix their jiu-jitsu with their judo with their savate with their karate to form some very effective self-defense. I know that the Academy of Ketsugo has been around for over 40 years in Boston and have produced some excellent self-defense technicians. And they all claim to be a mixed martial art.

But none of these styles are into prizefighting - tournaments and shiai's yes, but professional prizefighting of the PRIDE, UFC, K-1, etc. variety, no.

So maybe your criteria for a "Mixed Martial Art" and not a mixed martial art is the inclusion of a prizefighting component?

OP
R

Rikki

Patrick Skerry said:
Hello Rikki,

I agree with the majority of what you said/wrote/expressed (mixed communications?). The rub is that every style on my list does mix their jiu-jitsu with their judo with their savate with their karate to form some very effective self-defense. I know that the Academy of Ketsugo has been around for over 40 years in Boston and have produced some excellent self-defense technicians. And they all claim to be a mixed martial art.

But none of these styles are into prizefighting - tournaments and shiai's yes, but professional prizefighting of the PRIDE, UFC, K-1, etc. variety, no.

So maybe your criteria for a "Mixed Martial Art" and not a mixed martial art is the inclusion of a prizefighting component?
Not at all. There are people who train in my gym that have no intention of ever fighting. They are there for self defense or recreation or fitness.
Do the schools on your list mix all of those things into the same class and do they practice against truly resisting opponents? If so, I'd say that you are right.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Rikki said:
Not at all. There are people who train in my gym that have no intention of ever fighting. They are there for self defense or recreation or fitness.
Do the schools on your list mix all of those things into the same class and do they practice against truly resisting opponents? If so, I'd say that you are right.
Hi Rikki,

I can only speak for three on the list from my personal experience: Bushido-kai; Ketsugo; and Renrikan, and all three of these do practice against resisting opponents, sometimes wearing 'Red Man' suits; sometimes wearing modified kendo equipment; or sometimes wearing basic chest protectors, the workouts can get very rough. But the really rough realistic workouts are for the upper-level students. They blend two or three or more styles together for self-defense purposes.

Some students are right off the streets and are mean as alleycats; and some students are computer geeks who have never had a fight in their lives - the non-athletic types are put in chest protectors and big boxing gloves and made to do some very supervised sparring to develop aggression and confidence in themselves and in some basic techniques.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
punisher73 said:
To Ace:

I didn't say that the UFC was the first MMA style competition, I said that the TERM "MMA" to a lot of people starts with the first UFC. How many people had heard of those other events on a wide scale before the UFC in the US?

Great Point.
I was not Trying to Attck U just pointing
Something out. U are Write
1 would have to realy follow the Sport To know it's roots

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
akja said:

Last nite at West Coast TKD while the low ranks were doing self defense the brown belts were doing Eskrima. A bit basic but it's another example of how Ernie Reyes is ensuring his systems survival.

I know someeone asked is it still Tae Kwon Do? I think at his Ernies level, he can re-vamp it as much as he see's fit. Rhoon Rhee re-vamped his long before Ernie.

Latest Discussions