A leasson well learnt...beginners learn as well

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
When in the dojo I have the tendency (as a beginner) to concentate on the technique taught, forgetting the rest of the aspects. Thinking that I am training one thing and knowing that my partner won't do anything else does so that I tend to lower my defenses.
Yesterday my partner was Sensei and he noticed that I was waiting for his attack in a way that left me open to any other kind of attack, just because I knew where he was going to attack. He stopped and showed me that my other hand should protect me instead of just thinking to the attack I was gonna receive. So he showed me that he could have punched my face if he wanted to...well he did it. He popped one right on my nose, saying sorry he didn't mean to. Then he started again to show me how he could punch me popping another one just like the previous one. This time my hand blocked it right in front of my nose, I think he wouldn't have stopped that time either.

Moral of the story? Even tho you are working on one part of the picture, keep the whole painting always in front of you. Treat every single technique leasson as if it is a real fight and everything can happen.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When in the dojo I have the tendency (as a beginner) to concentate on the technique taught, forgetting the rest of the aspects. Thinking that I am training one thing and knowing that my partner won't do anything else does so that I tend to lower my defenses.
Yesterday my partner was Sensei and he noticed that I was waiting for his attack in a way that left me open to any other kind of attack, just because I knew where he was going to attack. He stopped and showed me that my other hand should protect me instead of just thinking to the attack I was gonna receive. So he showed me that he could have punched my face if he wanted to...well he did it. He popped one right on my nose, saying sorry he didn't mean to. Then he started again to show me how he could punch me popping another one just like the previous one. This time my hand blocked it right in front of my nose, I think he wouldn't have stopped that time either.

Moral of the story? Even tho you are working on one part of the picture, keep the whole painting always in front of you. Treat every single technique leasson as if it is a real fight and everything can happen.

Very wise indeed. You may want to move this to the Beginner forum :)

--Will

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been cracked a time or three myself for things like that. Real good reminder to keep your focus.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

We all learn this lesson at one time or another and we all forget it at least once at one time or another too. It is good to remind all martial artist, no matter how long one has been training, of this from time to time.

Thank You
XS

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Trust me, the lesson was taught but may not have been learned, I still get caught on occasion doing exactly the same thing, and I've been training for a long time.

It is an excellent lesson, especially when working with higher ranking belts who sometimes forget what they are supposed to be doing because they see an opening and take advantage of it. It does reenforce the lesson and keeps you humble when it happens.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is a good lesson and I'm sure its happened and still does at times, to all of us. Its always helpfull when there is someone else watching us, to help correct our mistakes. :)

Mike

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, this is a good lesson and I'm sure its happened and still does at times, to all of us. Its always helpfull when there is someone else watching us, to help correct our mistakes. :)

Mike

This is a great point in that we all need someone to point out our mistakes. Quite often you do not see your mistakes and it is always to your advantage to have someone show you them. (no matter your
time in or skill level)

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Always keep your guard.

Accidents do happen and there have been many times where myself and my training partner have attacked both at the same time and without that awareness of keeping guard up and ready we could have easily clocked each other in the face.

Sometimes we still do........:uhohh:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a great point in that we all need someone to point out our mistakes. Quite often you do not see your mistakes and it is always to your advantage to have someone show you them. (no matter your
time in or skill level)

Sometimes, you just need that outside set of eyes to evaluate what's happening...

But this thread also highlights what a GOOD training partner will do for you... When you're working a technique with a partner, you should focus on the technique of the exercise, of course. But your partner should (after you've grasped the fundamental idea!) vary the timing or target somewhat, too. And your partner shouldn't let you develop careless habits, like coming so rythmically that you aren't really seeing the punch, your just moving in time with your partner or throwing punches that would never really land. A good partner WILL put you in danger, IF you fail to execute the technique (but they shouldn't injure you!) correctly. I've seen too many people "training" while never really being in range to strike, or against no real resistance. That's not real training... That's just play-acting.

Proper partner-training is a meaningful exercise for both partners; for example, in practicing a defensive technique, the person delivering the attack should concentrate on delivering a perfect attack that WILL hit the defender if they fail to move, block or parry as they're supposed to. Or, if it's offensive practice -- the defender shouldn't be a immobile dummy; they should react appropriately so that the attacker knows whether they really can deliver the technique.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JKS, You've just described the essence of being a good uke perfectly. It is not uke's job to make his/her training partner go home from every class feeling invincible. It is ukes responsibilty to give their training partner the energy needed to execute the technique properly or to discover their weaknesses. Sure, there are times when allowing an opening to pass is conducive to learning how the technique should be done or feel and there are times when offering resistance could prove very damaging to uke. It's up to uke and nage both to somehow agree on what level of resistance or realism is warrented for the particular training session. My wife and I normally train rougher with each other than with anyone else. We've both popped the other good shots when a parry or blend wasn't done correctly but the attacks have never been done with out at least enough control to keep from seriously injuring each other and the resistance has always been kept to a level that would keep the other from simply walking away from the training that day because of frustration. Point out the openings but don't fixate on them. Worrying too much about the extras can keep you from getting the main course taken care of. My instructor has a saying that he'll use now and then that goes "You're rushing through dinner to get to dessert." Worry about the main attack, get comfortable with dealing with that and then deal with the other "what ifs". Granted the "what ifs" MUST be dealt with but don't let them ruin the rest of your training.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My instructor has a saying that he'll use now and then that goes "You're rushing through dinner to get to dessert." Worry about the main attack, get comfortable with dealing with that and then deal with the other "what ifs". Granted the "what ifs" MUST be dealt with but don't let them ruin the rest of your training.

My teacher would tell us (many, many times) that you'll never need the punch if you don't make the block...

This is one of my greatest frustrations... There are just so many people out there who are perfectly happy fooling themselves by trading techniques at safe distances, with no resistance and no real intent behind the attack. Too many folks have never really learned to work with a partner; they're too concerned with whatever they want to be doing. And, it's amazing how many of them aren't even realizing what the instructor is doing when they watch...

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
:jediduel: My Shihan always says that if you get hit by the punch, then you were wrong. On many occasions while using foam clubs I would follow through (as a real attacker would). If done properly, they would block or redirect the club, if they had gotten lazy then they would get a love tap to remind them to do the technique correctly. Every once in a while you need that reminder.

OP
charyuop

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have learnt my lesson as the person attacked and not the attacker, but I agree an attacker has a special meaning to being always "alert".

Being the Uke or (attacker for other styles) is, in my opinion, the most difficult role in training. Uke must carry out an attack the way the person who is gonna train the technique (Nage for Aikidoka) expects, but it is not over yet. Where the hard part starts? A few points will make it clear...
1_ The attack must be meant to hit the opponent as if in a real fight, knowing that according to the level of the trainee you might have to be able to stop in time is something goes wrong. If the opponent moves too early needs to follow the target and hit it if that helps teaching his/her error;
2_ Attack done, but it is not over. The attacker needs to be able to preserve his posture and center even after he carried out the attack. A lack of reaction or what is more common a sloppy passive posture will make the training ineffective. Doesn't mean a sloppy passive person can't be defeated or thrown, but might need to use a different technique;
3_ The attacker must be able to realize the amount of resistance to apply to the trained person. I can apply all the resistance I want, but my Sensei can make me fly like a bird anyway, but applying the same resistance to a beginner will prevent him/her from learning;
4_ The attacker in case facing a beginner can have the important role of "leading" the person trained through the technique even without talking.

Other important roles? Yes many, but at the moment don't come to my mind.

shrek

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's also why a less experienced opponent may surprise an old warrior, the old one expects a certain type of movement and occasionally gets to see a completely new interpretation from the student/younger warrior.

Sui

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There's a sensei in my dojo that just loves to call me up when he's demonstrating and i got into that same situation many a time...not very pleasant at all heh :p

Still it's easier said than done.

Latest Discussions