9 mm vs. katana

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Nightingale said:
I'm not sure which would win if you put a Katana against a .45. I imagine it could have something to do with the skill of the weilders.

me, I'd rather have a katana in my hand, simply because I know how to use it.
That will always be the determining factor....

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seig said:
That will always be the determining factor....

Right? Given the choice between fighting a sword weilding attacker with no skill or a .45 weilding attacker who cant figure out how to turn the saftey off, or work the slide, or load the gun... well...

Yeah.

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have read through this thread so excuse me if I have missed the point that I am going to make.
Katana v .45 ok but what about katana v 9mm?
most .45 bullets are soft lead and comparitivly low velocity, most 9mm are steel jacketed and so are not soft, and are usually high velocity. What would happen in this case is open to debate but I believe that the Katana would come off worse. Also as stated earlier if the round hits the flat then you might have a lot of very interesting steel fragments.
So what are your views with the changed aspect, hard jacketed bullet, probably high velocity as well.
Would the Katana come off as well?

David

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Taimishu said:
I have read through this thread so excuse me if I have missed the point that I am going to make.
Katana v .45 ok but what about katana v 9mm?
most .45 bullets are soft lead and comparitivly low velocity, most 9mm are steel jacketed and so are not soft, and are usually high velocity.
David
Actually, unless we're talking about the .45 Long Colt (the old cowboy round) most .45 rounds are jacketed, usually copper i.e. the old standby-230 gr. FMJ ball ammo. Most 9mm rounds are the same, a common 9mm load is 115 gr. FMJ (again, copper, not steel, to my knowledge there aren't any bullets with a steel jacket b/c of the damage it would do to the barrel. there are some rounds with a steel core) and depending on the charge, the 9mm rounds are only about 200 fps. faster.

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kenpotex
Thank you I stand corrected. I was mainly going on my army days as guns are hard to come by legally here in the uk, and most if not all military rounds were steel jacketed then.
This was a while ago so things have probably changed now.
As a side note the jacket was copper plated to stop rust but it was only a thin coat.

David

K

Karasu Tengu

There is an FBI technique I learned back in the 80's that was introduced to compensate for this "21 foot" rule. It is done by only having to clear the holster and bringing your weapon to your center (Belly Button) then empty the mag. In the tests we did with simunition the "suspect" made it only half the distance before taking 4 to 6 rounds in the torso. At those close distances you don't really need to aim. Just point and squeeze the trigger:mp5::enguard: :ak47::enguard::ripper: :shotgun::enguard::rockets: :armed:

BTW, does the person with the katana have to draw it from the scabbard as well?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seig said:
The 21 foot rule is conditional. It depends on the individuals involved. I have personally proved that before you can close 21 feet, I can draw and fire my weapon at you no less than three times. What the 21 foot rule takes into consideration is that even if you do draw and fire the knife weilder can get to you from sheer momentum before he dies. The key here is moving off center of the attack as you fire.

This is true. Remember that the time Tueller determined for covering the 21-feet is an average. Being an average, that means some people would take longer to cover that distance, and others, quicker.

Cthulhu

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
As an afficianado of the .45, ...9mm = poodle popper :2pistols:

I dunno man... I have one of each, and i wouldnt discount either if I needed em.

I'm just glad the 9mm magazine has a bigger ammo capacity, LOL.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
As an afficianado of the .45, ...9mm = poodle popper :2pistols:
My sentiments exactly. Yeah, I know the 9mm can kill someone (for that matter so can the .22 LR) however, if you can, why wouldn't you carry the bigger gun? I've read too many stories (some as recently as the military action in Afghanistan) where the 9mm failed to drop someone even when they were "double-tapped" to the chest. You don't hear to many of those stories about the .45. However, like Technopunk said, if I needed a gun and the 9mm was there I wouldn't be sorry to have it.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The 45 was a nice aligned single shot.

The Machine gun, if you watch the first shots scatter from left to right until the gunner gets it under control from the kick. Even though the gun was tied down the best it could for the stuff they had, it still allowed for movement.

The theory is that if a bullet is fired at the blade the blade will cut the lead bullet. In the case of the machine gun, this is lead travel lateral to teh edge of the blade, not against the edge. This would count for some of the damage to the blade. Also any additional power between the two loads would add into the damage factor.

Neat still, either way.

otako

White Belt
Reaction score
BTW, does the person with the katana have to draw it from the scabbard as well?

Yes, but there is a style of sword-arts (called Battojutsu) that deals with the draw alone. The blade is pushed against the inside of the scabbard and drawn quickly. The draw in Battojutsu is stronger and faster than a strike when the sword has already been drawn.

Latest Discussions