8 year old gets into University...

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"I think it's good to let my son do whatever he wants," the father said.
See!! If parents just let us do whatever we want we'll all be quantum physics geniuses! Take that Dr. Phil!
icon7.gif

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
See!! If parents just let us do whatever we want we'll all be quantum physics geniuses! Take that Dr. Phil!
icon7.gif
thank you, i agree parents can be a huge burden and a limitation sometimes.
second, i DID go to university when i was about 8 too... +/- 20 years
what's the big deal?

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, he's likely well on his way to being a brilliant, but completely socially inept person...

Kid's need to play and be kids, not do Quantum Mechanics with people 10-15 years older then them.

I do think it is impressive, and really shows how quick the human mind can learn, perhaps highlighting a issue with how education is delivered in schools and that it might be possible to speed learning up quite a bit...

But sending a 8-year old to University? There is no way his liver will be able to handle it at that age...

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
This is rarely a good idea for the kid...just grandstanding for the parents.
The history of academia is littered with young, super-intelligent children, who showed vast early promise...only to find themselves working as janitor's in adulthood. Raw intelligence isn't the only criteria for success (granted a certain degree of intelligence is required) but it certainly doesn't guarantee that someone will ever do anything useful for mankind...or even themselves.

What's further more, a great deal of social and emotional development is going to be missed by this kid...he probably won't reach 3rd base till he's 43 years old....and then only if he's rich and paying for it. :shrug:

Seriously, though, it has been supported in study after study that those with an above average intelligence are generally happier and more successful, while those with extremely high IQ's tend often have less overall success in life (though they do enjoy considerable success in the narrow fields they focus in) and tend to be more depressed. This is likely a result of the feeling of isolation that extreme intellects feel...they really don't have a large peer group.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd hate to see a kid that bright fall through the cracks in education, though. A lot of really smart kids will tune out on school if the curriculum isn't challenging enough. It would be nice if there was a way for him to stay with kids his own age, but still learn to the extent of his ability. It's a hard choice for parents... they either end up holding their kid back educationally or adversely affecting emotional development if they aren't very careful. If the parents make a huge effort to give him time with kids his age (sports team, etc...) that may mitigate some of the emotional issues involved.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think they should continue to test his thinking but hold off awhile on letting him attend university....at least 13 before he does....that way he has a few use to live before he is expected to find the cure for cancer or something like that.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
icon7.gif

Yea it worked for me :rolleyes:

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
The history of academia is littered with young, super-intelligent children, who showed vast early promise...only to find themselves working as janitor's in adulthood. Raw intelligence isn't the only criteria for success (granted a certain degree of intelligence is required) but it certainly doesn't guarantee that someone will ever do anything useful for mankind...or even themselves.

What's further more, a great deal of social and emotional development is going to be missed by this kid...he probably won't reach 3rd base till he's 43 years old....and then only if he's rich and paying for it. :shrug:

Seriously, though, it has been supported in study after study that those with an above average intelligence are generally happier and more successful, while those with extremely high IQ's tend often have less overall success in life (though they do enjoy considerable success in the narrow fields they focus in) and tend to be more depressed. This is likely a result of the feeling of isolation that extreme intellects feel...they really don't have a large peer group.

Sure would like to see some of these stuides and this history of academia you're talking about. I'm inclined to think this is all based on your own bias and an image from "Good Will Hunting", but prove me wrong.

As for the kid having to hire a hooker to reach 3rd base, isn't eight years old a bit early to be making that prediction?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
As for the kid having to hire a hooker to reach 3rd base, isn't eight years old a bit early to be making that prediction?

Well, my daughter is only five and I know she is not even going to be going on any dates as long as I am healthy enough to bury the bodies of any potential Romeos.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Well, my daughter is only five and I know she is not even going to be going on any dates as long as I am healthy enough to bury the bodies of any potential Romeos.

How admirable. And if you'd had a son instead, would you be giving him tips?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
Sure would like to see some of these stuides and this history of academia you're talking about. I'm inclined to think this is all based on your own bias and an image from "Good Will Hunting", but prove me wrong.

It's not really bias, it's based research conducted on those with extremely high IQ's.

First off, those with high IQ's are prone to obsessive compulsive behaviors. This is nothing new, and should be clear to anyone who knows someone with a a high IQ.

What's furthermore, high IQ's are often associated with depression and other psychoses. They seem to be more pronounced in individuals with

http://www.personalityresearch.org/papers/byrd.html
http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/10.23/01-creativity.html
http://www.news.utoronto.ca/bin5/030930b.asp
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/10/031001061055.htm
http://www.mhasp.org/coping/mh_iq.html

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
the IQ system is flawed....there is more than 1 type of test....and you can score different on each....

I have taken a few of them....scores aren't relevant here, but i can say IQ is flawed. (PM me if you really want to know my scores)

I think social skills can be a factor in how someone maintains their life in the future....I think they have to watch how far they push him and how he is reacting to life at the University.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlueDragon1981 said:
the IQ system is flawed....there is more than 1 type of test....and you can score different on each....

I have taken a few of them....scores aren't relevant here, but i can say IQ is flawed. (PM me if you really want to know my scores)

I think social skills can be a factor in how someone maintains their life in the future....I think they have to watch how far they push him and how he is reacting to life at the University.

I was in the middle of typing my last post when something urgent came up, that's why it ends adruptly. Yes, traditional IQ is not the end all and be all of measuring intelligence. However, it's hard to argue the point that those who score incredibly high on IQ tests also possess considerable intellect.

In the same vein, emotional development is as important as congitive development. This kind of leap in peer groups will likely deprive this boy of participating in that emotional development with other children who are at the same emotional development level. This can result in an extremly bright adult, who lacks some serious basic social skills.

The cliche of the super-genius, who is brilliant when dealing with fields of study, but inept when dealing with other people, is not always that far from the mark. That's not to say, however, that having a social life is the most important thing in reality. It just makes it easier.

Latest Discussions