Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
The 4 biggest religions;

1. Christianity
2. Islam
3. Hinduism
4. Buddhism

originated from the same countries. Christianity originated from ancient Israel, while its cousin religion Islam originated from Arabia (two different countries but from the same area). Hinduism and Buddhism originated from India. All 4 of these religions are global religions rather than ethnic religions, but even the biggest ethnic religions;

5. Sikhism
6. Judaism

originated from one of the 3 mentioned regions/countries.

What do you think it is about these religion's places of birth that made it so big in the world compared to many religions that are almost dead or dead? What is it about Indian, Israeli, and Arabian culture that you think made these religions global?

IMO, the western religions of Christianity and Islam (as well as Judaism) have the fear and security tactic that keeps it strong. Both religions state that if those who do not belong to their particular religion will burn in hell. But at the same I guess the two religions give security to people as they tell people how to live and act.

IMO, the eastern religions of Hinduism and Buddhism (as well as Sikhism) seem to bring people in on the beauty of their complexity and spiritual enlightenment. Not trying to be bias or anything, it is just that there are no verses of war in Hinduism or Buddhism and in general both religions do not have a dogmatic view of the world (Eastern religions tend to encourage searching the truth).

All 4 of the religions have impacted mankind greatly in many ways, why also do you think they did this? What separates these religions from other religions? What do you think?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:
The 4 biggest religions;

1. Christianity
2. Islam
3. Hinduism
4. Buddhism

originated from the same countries. Christianity originated from ancient Israel, while its cousin religion Islam originated from Arabia (two different countries but from the same area). Hinduism and Buddhism originated from India. All 4 of these religions are global religions rather than ethnic religions, but even the biggest ethnic religions;

5. Sikhism
6. Judaism

originated from one of the 3 mentioned regions/countries.

What do you think it is about these religion's places of birth that made it so big in the world compared to many religions that are almost dead or dead? What is it about Indian, Israeli, and Arabian culture that you think made these religions global?

IMO, the western religions of Christianity and Islam (as well as Judaism) have the fear and security tactic that keeps it strong. Both religions state that if those who do not belong to their particular religion will burn in hell. But at the same I guess the two religions give security to people as they tell people how to live and act.

IMO, the eastern religions of Hinduism and Buddhism (as well as Sikhism) seem to bring people in on the beauty of their complexity and spiritual enlightenment. Not trying to be bias or anything, it is just that there are no verses of war in Hinduism or Buddhism and in general both religions do not have a dogmatic view of the world (Eastern religions tend to encourage searching the truth).

All 4 of the religions have impacted mankind greatly in many ways, why also do you think they did this? What separates these religions from other religions? What do you think?
an interesting topic (at least to me)
good observations
but if you want to become to a better conclusion please do a little search on the "war verses" to understand the background behind them, and the conditions they should be triggered, or used.
Islam and christianity do not necessarily use the fear and security tactic.
Those are religions believed to come from God who created humans. The holy books for those religions are something like "catalogs" that explain how that creature, human, is to operate.
Some humans are afraid of the consequences (hell), some of them are motivated by reward (heavens, and the gardens of Eden), and some of them are driven by the need to thank their creator.
Judaism emphasized the reward aspect to motivate people to become more bound to their religion, christianity used the fear and security tactic (with some questions marks, since everybody is forgiven anyway), and islam uses a homogeneous combination of all factors that may drive the followers.
I humbly ask you to kindly spend a few minutes to find out the background about war. I am sure a buddhist, if attacked, would also fight to survive.
and thanks for the thread... i like that.
also, i want to ask why is "islam" the fastest growing religion in the world? i heard between 1990 and 1990 20,000 african americans embraced islam (reverted, converted, depends on what word u use) and i also read that the rate is growing between the white community, and as I have observed I witnessed the conversion of about 60 phillipino families in the San Diego area (california). What is making me think about this religion a lot is that people seem to hate it, think of it very negatively (u get the idea) yet it is growing rapidly.
did anybody read something interesting about that religion? or anything like that? just wondering (this could be off-topic, so you could just ignore it)

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought Christianity cam from Judaism. :confused: Not the other way around.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Satt said:
I thought Christianity cam from Judaism. :confused: Not the other way around.
i dont recall making a reference that it didnt.
what I believe (not too important) that christianity didnt come from judaism, but christianity is a religion came to correct some behaviors, or remove some burdens that were imposed on the children of israel who did follow Judaism.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yup. That's how it happened.
how does a religion come from another?
that means christianity is merely a "sect" of judaism
and there was no real point of Jesus coming to the Jews.
or am I wrong?
can you elaborate on how it "came" from Judaism. maybe we mean the same thing after all :)

OP
K

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
or am I wrong?
can you elaborate on how it "came" from Judaism. maybe we mean the same thing after all :)

Actually Christianity did start out as a breakaway sect of Judaism, Jesus supposedly was the Messiah but many Jews did not accept this idea. However Christianity did reach more followers than Judaism mainly because it is an ethnic religion, very few converts exist worldwide and the religion is mainly meant for the particular ethnic group (same with Sikhism). Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism seem to stand strong in today’s world, although in the West Christianity is beginning to decline.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
mantis said:
or am I wrong?
Christianity was considered a sect of Judaism for the first years. A big point of contention among early religious leaders surrounded the question of whether Christianity was to include just Jews or all peoples. Believe it or not, that created a schism in the church.

Islam itself has it's roots deeply entrenched in Judaism and Christianity, considering themselves, as well as Christians and Jews "Children of the Book". They consider themselves decendents of Abraham, and embrace much of the mythology of Judeo/Christian belief, such as Noah, Moses, etc. What's more, it is the archangel Gabriel that allegedly confronted Mohammad in the cave, and informed him that he was the messanger of God.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They speak of the "Jesus Movement" within Judaism. When Jesus was alive, he was considered to be practicing an unapproved variant of Judaism.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
They speak of the "Jesus Movement" within Judaism. When Jesus was alive, he was considered to be practicing an unapproved variant of Judaism.
I'm pretty sure it's still an unapproved variant within Jewish circles.

Latest Discussions