5 reasons TaeKwonDo as a system (not individual techniques) breaks down in a Muay Thai ring

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Then it's impossible to know because Muay Thai fighters don't do any of that stuff they don't train to do it and they don't train to defend it. A street fight is completely different to a sporting match

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Then it's impossible to know because Muay Thai fighters don't do any of that stuff they don't train to do it and they don't train to defend it.

Nor do TaeKwondo guys. And really, training for that in controlled conditions is not going to make any difference IMO. You don't know how the individual brain reacts to the situation.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yah you know...respectful. :)

Respectful= no sucker punch before a dude says GO. anything goes. I have been in a a no-holds-barred challenge match. Wanna take a guess how I did:cool:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Respectful= no sucker punch before a dude says GO. anything goes. I have been in a a no-holds-barred challenge match. Wanna take a guess how I did:cool:

Of course you have. A friend of mine used to compete in Russian no holds barred comps. Harsh but then he's a hard man.

Nor do TaeKwondo guys.

How do you know that? Have you seen everyone training? the TKD place I went to covered self defence and attack techniques very nicely. Just because you don't train it doesn't mean others don't.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course you have. A friend of mine used to compete in Russian no holds barred comps. Harsh but then he's a hard man.

Then I win the testosterone award for this one. I got dragged out of a room at a boarding school as an 18 year old and was forced to fight bare knuckled on concrete. Ate an elbow to the head but after that he went flying. I had no idea if I could fight. Absolutely surreal experience. And then he got up and I threw him again. And then he had enough.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyway, I'm sure just as many (or few) Muay Thai schools train/ simulate self defence as TKD ones

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nor do TaeKwondo guys. And really, training for that in controlled conditions is not going to make any difference IMO. You don't know how the individual brain reacts to the situation.
I'm fairly certain some of my friends who do TKD practice those, it's part of the self-defense in the curriculum.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyway, I'm sure just as many (or few) Muay Thai schools train/ simulate self defence as TKD ones
No they don't because Muay Thai is a sport plain and simple. Muay Thai is for the ring...yes the moves can be applied for self defence but no Muay Thai coach is going to teach someone to kick the groin or eye gouge because that's illegal in Muay Thai and would get your fighters disqualified

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it would be more accurate to say that people are unconvinced that you have the expertise to determine a shortcoming of TKD vs a shortcoming of Axiom. Given that many of the people who are pointing out the error of your thinking have been training for 10 times as long as you, perhaps you'd do well to give some thought to your position.

No. It doesn't matter if he is making the wrong assumptions, asking the wrong questions or upsetting the establishment by trying to nut out an idea.

It is the asking questions and testing ideas that will make him the better martial artist.

Most people don't even know how to make good assumptions what tests to use or how to ask the correct questions let alone how to critically spot BS.

And never will if asking the wrong questions gets censored in favor of following authority.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Self defence is what is called a red herring. In that it is an indefinable mess that cannot be tested for effectiveness. People who play the self defence card rely on nobody ever really having to use the system in that manner so therefore never being able to examine its shortcomings.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Self defence is what is called a red herring. In that it is an indefinable mess that cannot be tested for effectiveness. People who play the self defence card rely on nobody ever really having to use the system in that manner so therefore never being able to examine its shortcomings.

I'm the first one to agree. It's bad leftover from the 80s Karate craze. I feel it's even more dangerous to instill false security than none at all, which is what they do. I have an iron jaw but want NO part of street fights. Just so many variables and it's not worth it.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a buddy who is always quick to jump into situations, trying to act a peacemaker or the police, and I always yell at him to get out of there. He could be stabbed. It is never taken well, and yeah I get it.. but still he puts me in a very difficult situation as the buddy if he bit more than he could chew on.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Self defence is what is called a red herring. In that it is an indefinable mess that cannot be tested for effectiveness.

And as we've noted here before, Self Defense is not at all the same thing as a Street Fight. Self defense is (for example) when three young men come up from behind you at a dark corner, armed with knifes or whatnot, with intent to rob or otherwise do you harm. A street fight is when two knuckleheads square off against each other in the street, usually over something stupid. And neither of those is very much like military Combat, which is itself another thing entirely. Unfortunately, online discussions tend to conflate those three things, as if they're interchangeable.

Latest Discussions