5 reason to grapple

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The individual in the video obviously has a strong bias in grappling/BJJ.

The disadvantages to grappling on the ground far out weigh the advantages. I agree one should train in some sort of grappling to defend one's self in the chance they are taken to the ground. However:

What the video lacks is that many stand up arts have grappling/throws/arm-wrist locks, and control techniques that do not require one to go to the ground. I am always suprised that there are not more stand up arm bars and wrist locks performed in MMA competitions (admit my lack of knowledge associated with MMA/UFC rules).

He also does not address the legal ramifications of choking someone out on the street. Once the adreneline starts to flow, everything get more explosive. If you accidently kill someone or use "excessive" force (determined by a court and 12 people not at the scene of the altercation), the one defending could be the one to go to jail.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The disadvantages to grappling on the ground far out weigh the advantages. I agree one should train in some sort of grappling to defend one's self in the chance they are taken to the ground.

Yep, he is openly pro-grappling, and yep, there are big risks in going to the ground in many "street"/self-defense situations. Still, I thought he gave a pretty balanced presentation. At least it made good sense to me.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am not arguing many of his points.

Just pointing out that there are many stand-up arts with techniques to address the issues he raised outside of one being taken to the ground.

Grappling is being used very generically in this video, but demonstrated with a BJJ bias/influence.

Also sure not how I am going to defend myself in court if i rear-naked-choke someone and something unforsee happens.

Just my $0.02

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The disadvantages to grappling on the ground far out weigh the advantages. I agree one should train in some sort of grappling to defend one's self in the chance they are taken to the ground. However:

What the video lacks is that many stand up arts have grappling/throws/arm-wrist locks, and control techniques that do not require one to go to the ground. I am always suprised that there are not more stand up arm bars and wrist locks performed in MMA competitions (admit my lack of knowledge associated with MMA/UFC rules).

He also does not address the legal ramifications of choking someone out on the street. Once the adreneline starts to flow, everything get more explosive. If you accidently kill someone or use "excessive" force (determined by a court and 12 people not at the scene of the altercation), the one defending could be the one to go to jail.

In a mma match nobody would let you get a standing arm bar on.wrist locks are mostly not allowed.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A fair point made though is that you need to worry about getting your face punched in to hamburger. Then worry about potentially getting stomped by random strangers.
If you cannot take the one guy in front of you in a stand up. Then all the other plans won't really matter.

And grappling does to a certain degree negate striking.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you cannot take the one guy in front of you in a stand up. Then all the other plans won't really matter.
That's how I feel too.

In street fight, the best strategy is to take your opponent down and take off (before cops get there). This kind of take down is different from the BJJ guy's game plan. You will need to maintain your "mobility" after your take down.

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's how I feel too.

In street fight, the best strategy is to take your opponent down and take off (before cops get there). This kind of take down is different from the BJJ guy's game plan. You will need to maintain your "mobility" after your take down.

If you are able to do that. If they latch on you are going down with them.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are able to do that. If they latch on you are going down with them.
Sometime, your opponent's hands cannot reach you. You try to maintain your "mobility", if your opponent drags you down, you go to plan B. You use "single leg" in the street just because it will give your opponent less chance to drag you down. When you push your opponent's shoulder (or neck), you have broken loose of his grips if he has any hold on you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometime, your opponent's hands cannot reach you. You try to maintain your "mobility", if your opponent drags you down, you go to plan B.

The big issue with that you is that it the throw is not fully committed so if you bail out and they resist chances are pretty good both of you will be left standing. And you are back to square one.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The big issue with that you is that it the throw is not fully committed so if you bail out and they resist chances are pretty good both of you will be left standing. And you are back to square one.
The only time that you use "single leg" is to pull your opponent into you or in circle, when you feel that he is resisting against you, that mean his body is going backward and away from you, you then borrow his force, add your own pushing force, pull his leg, and take him down backward. If your opponent's body is moving in toward you, you will not use "single leg". So to answer your question, since your opponent's resistance is going backward, and you are pushing him backward at the same time, both of you will not "left standing". Your momentum is your commitment. This is why after you have taken your opponent down, you will need to run at least 10 steps to prove that you do have "momentum" after take down.

Here is another "single leg" clip. The pulling is not used because the gloves. Do you think it's not "fully committed"?

The University of Texas at Austin Chinese wrestling team had used this "single leg" along to defeat the Ohio State University Chinese wrestling team twice in a role back in 1983 and 1984. IMO, it may be the easiest take down that anyone can use in street fight and still remain "mobility".

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am always suprised that there are not more stand up arm bars and wrist locks performed in MMA competitions (admit my lack of knowledge associated with MMA/UFC rules).
That's because standing arm bars don't work particularly well if your opponent has much of a clue.

If he doesn't, then just about anything will work. Use whatever you want.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions