30th Anniversary of Terry Fox Run

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I decided to put this here, instead of the memorial thread, as I feel there's as much cause for celebration as anything else:

Terry Fox 's Marathon of Hope remembered 30 years later

CTV.ca News Staff
Thirty years ago today, Terry Fox began his inspiring "Marathon of Hope", with the dream of running across the country and raising what was then a staggering $1 million for cancer research.
Three decades later, more than $500 million has been raised in his name since his story of courage and determination became the stuff of Canadian legend.
When Fox began his run on April 12, 1980 by dipping his foot into the Atlantic Ocean in St. John's Harbour, he said he wanted to make a difference in the lives of other people battling cancer.
His mother, Betty, says it was the time her son spent in hospital while he battled his cancer that forged his resolve to do something more that just survive...

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...ox_stjohns100412/20100412/?hub=TorontoNewHome

More stories:
Anniversary of Terry Fox's Marathon of Hope javascript:void(0);

News1130 - Sonia Aslam - ‎1 hour ago‎
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Thirty years after starting the Marathon of Hope, Terry Fox continues to change lives. Five hundred million dollars have been raised ...
Terry Fox family starts Atlantic cancer program CBC.ca

Terry Fox began remarkable journey 30 years ago Montreal Gazette

Terry Fox 's Marathon of Hope remembered 30 years later CTV.ca

VOCM - The Canadian Press

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I decided to put this here, instead of the memorial thread, as I feel there's as much cause for celebration as anything else:

This is a terrific personal story and a wonderful Canadian story. It deserves to be remembered. If memory serves, Canada Post issued a postage stamp in his honor.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It also spawned two movies. A Hollywood feature (1983) starring Eric Fryer and Robert Duvall, and a CTV movie-of-the-week, Terry, starring Shawn Ashmore in 2005.

28 countries are participating in the Terry Fox Run for cancer research in 2010

OP
Gordon Nore

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
It also spawned two movies. A Hollywood feature (1983) starring Eric Fryer and Robert Duvall, and a CTV movie-of-the-week, Terry, starring Shawn Ashmore in 2005.

28 countries are participating in the Terry Fox Run for cancer research in 2010

Yes, I recall the first film quite well. It was somewhat a typical lower-budget Canadian film in its time, but Duvall jumped enthusiastically on board. Young Eric Fryer had lost a leg to cancer, like Terry. Shaw Ashmore gave a very fine performance, and CGI was used to make him appear to have only one leg.

I showed my kids a great documentary a couple of years ago, which focused in part on the international popularity of the Terry Fox run. Apparently Canadian diplomats and military working abroad are encouraged and supported to host Terry Fox events where they are stationed. The Terry Fox run is a hugely popular event in Cuba, for instance.

Latest Discussions