20 or more years in there Art

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I myself have over 40 years in the arts, my question to us older generation is how can we protect the heritage of our said art,
1) Do we take time out of class to go over tradition with the student and if we do how do we make them ubderstand or is it just teach and go on.
2) Should we make it manatory for them to do paper like in school, you know like in a history class
3) Are we dome to just hope and prayer to get the right student to teach the Art to.
I know this general and today marketplace is different from years past just looking to see how other relate there training with the heritage of there art.

Thanks
Terry Lee Stoker:asian:

K

Knifehand

terryl965 said:
I myself have over 40 years in the arts, my question to us older generation is how can we protect the heritage of our said art,
1) Do we take time out of class to go over tradition with the student and if we do how do we make them ubderstand or is it just teach and go on.
2) Should we make it manatory for them to do paper like in school, you know like in a history class
3) Are we dome to just hope and prayer to get the right student to teach the Art to.
I know this general and today marketplace is different from years past just looking to see how other relate there training with the heritage of there art.

Thanks
Terry Lee Stoker:asian:
I'm young, but i might have some insight...

Don't worry about it, honestly. The Martial Arts have survived a long time, through plague, war, Famine, genocide, religious persecution... Traditionalists, Like myself, are everywhere.
In response to
1) Everyone in your style needs to know the tradition, it should be apart of your style.
2) Papers aren't a bad idea, but it should be a requirement for testing.
3) Proteges are great, but i would trust the requirement of your style to select and train your instructors appropriatly.

Just a humble teenagers opinion....Take it with a grain of salt if you like...

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have posted that a thesis is required, among first aid, CPR, etc., in our system.

I have so much info, much of my writing from experiences and discussions with other "old-timers"

I have many volumes of data in sleeved pages in binders.

This is done to remove such data, when the subject arises, copy them, and hand them out.

Many such was dome way before the "Almighty Internet".

My students and martial art aquaintances always seem to be "hungry" for more. Gives them a whole perspective.

My question, and/or commentary, along with yours terryl965, is why is there so much emphasis on rank. By this I mean to include that once many reach the "Cherished Black Belt", many discontinue.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score

To properly pass this along, an instructor should proudly provide the example for the students to follow. Whether an instructor likes it or not, students look to their example more or as much as their words. Just as you pass along to your children who their Grandparents are/were and their Grandmasters' parents, your students should understand their martial arts family tree. This shows them the path that paved the way for them to get where they are with their martial art training.

I speak of these things and tell stories to the students when I give them a short break sometimes. The students sit and rest while I speak. I'm fortunate to be able to pass along lots of history and lesson of this sort, by repeating the same information given to me by my instructor.

In my system, students have a written exam at each rank test in addition to physical skills tests. These get progressively more detailed into history and lineage as the students gain more rank. A black belt candidate must write a minimum 10 page thesis on a topic provided by Grandmaster Kim Soo. Sometimes, he has me assign the topic. It is the same for each level of black belt as well.

Well, I don't know what the emphasis is at your school, so you have to decide this for yourself. I have an interview process where I find out the goals and intentions of prospective students. If they want something that I don't teach(i.e. sport and tournaments or short-term training) then I refer them to another school and provide them with some contact information to continue their search. I hope they can find what they are seeking with martial arts training and help them. But, if they have an attitude that they truly wish to learn martial arts with physical and mental benefits, history, lineage, then I allow them to sign up at my school, if they still desire to do so.

I want students that are sincere in learning the martial arts heritage I provide. So, I am a bit selective about the students.

R. McLain

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
R. McLain,

You and your school sound almost exactly how we think and what we do. You sound like you do not "sell out" your morals or compromise them.

Kudos to you. I enjoy your posts.

With utmost respect and sincerity

Rick

Latest Discussions