2 on 1 easier than 1 on 1?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know it sounds odd, but I prefer going against three as opposed to going against two. If you do a lot of training against multiples, the chaos involving the higher number is to your advantage. I know, I know, it's all keyboard warrior talk, but that's what we've found over the years. I hate fighting two guys. It's sometimes fun in dojo but the fun seems to end there. Everything changes, of course, if you think you're dealing with one guy and one or two more surprise you. Then life really sucks.

As for weapons, I got mine, they better have theirs. Level of force scenarios and use of force legal guidelines tend to work in favor of the one. I like having law on my side. In any circumstance where there is potential trouble, liability always comes to the front of my mind. Life would be easier if it didn't, but it always does. (unless you're bushwhacked and have no time to think). If you sense multiples, that is no longer a factor, only survival is. May the good guys always win.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buka said:
As for weapons, I got mine, they better have theirs. Level of force scenarios and use of force legal guidelines tend to work in favor of the one. I like having law on my side. In any circumstance where there is potential trouble, liability always comes to the front of my mind. Life would be easier if it didn't, but it always does. (unless you're bushwhacked and have no time to think). If you sense multiples, that is no longer a factor, only survival is. May the good guys always win.​

As has been touched upon before regarding the UK, coming up against people tooled up is fearful situation. More to that is that it often seems that bodily actions are also counted as weapons. Thankfully a rare occurrence all the same. I think in a security capacity, licensed people should be able to carry batons in certain environments. All legally certified and trained of course

Buka said:
I know it sounds odd, but I prefer going against three as opposed to going against two. If you do a lot of training against multiples, the chaos involving the higher number is to your advantage. I know, I know, it's all keyboard warrior talk, but that's what we've found over the years. I hate fighting two guys. It's sometimes fun in dojo but the fun seems to end there. Everything changes, of course, if you think you're dealing with one guy and one or two more surprise you. Then life really sucks.

Had this multiple thing in a WC class. Yeah in the class environment lots of fun, but even I am not mental enough to want to face that out in the real world. These days two or three can easily become ten with the good ole mobile. That can even be before any confrontation.

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Two opponents bouncing around and playing tag from long range isn't that hard to deal with.

Two opponents pressing the fight at close quarters - punching, grabbing, shoving you against a wall - is much harder to deal with.

Two armed opponents coming at you aggressively - very hard indeed.

I would not go so far as to say it's easy if the opponents can't grab, push etc. As the lone fighter you can't stop. You are always doing something to either improve position, attack, or escape. I'm a black belt; and if you put me up against 3 white belts even with just sport rules I would never say "This is going to be easy"

I had an instructor with a Modern Arnis and Aikido background. He had a drill where he would put a single person against a group (usually about 4). The point of the drill was to learn how to manuever , use the group's numbers against them, use people as shields, etc. There was grabbing/grappling but no striking, and the group was not allowed to move at a speed much more than a brisk walk. I always remember how tiring and stressful it was as the lone fighter and realizing they weren't even coming at me with intent to do harm. Really highlighted how dangerous the situation can be.

I always tell students and friends that regardless of how much training you've done in the gym the real world is no joke. The drills we do under controlled situations can give you a general idea, but on the street against somebody who is literally trying kill/seriously harm you, you're main goal should be to get out of there as soon as you can. The 1 vs 10 we see in movies is just that...movie stuff

Latest Discussions