1st time Japan - Any Pointers?

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just recently invited to Japan by my instructor. This was a week ago today. I am def. excited but I am really not sure what to expect. I am talking certain manners, things i def. shouldnt forget, things i need to be aware of? If anyone who has been there could help me out on this one I would appreciate it.
I will be in Tokyo.
Thank you
In Peace,
Jesse

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The last time I was in Japan...I was only a little boy.

One thing you can do is get a book to teach you simple words and phase in Japanese. or a learning tape/cd to learn the langauge.\

This is a custom, You must bring something to everyone you will meet/visit/ or stay with., (the main people). "Omiyaga"(not sure of spelling)to bring a gift.

Anytime we visit someone, especially someone we have not seen in a long time or first time you bring something? (gift) can be food,small stuffs, things from home?

That is why the Japanese who visit anywhere spend so much money. They must buy gifts for their families,friends, and co-workers..it is expect of you to bring something back from the place you visit.

In Hawaii this old Japanese custom is everywhere here and practice by all the locals living here today. When we visit someone...it is the custom to bring something.

When we have home parties....everyone brings food....that is why people who visit us wonder why there is so much food at the party. It is the custom.

and always bow lower than the other person...sign you are giving them more respect, especially to older people and Sensi's and students who you will be training with.

......"Arigato" means thank-you in Japanese...learn this WELL!

"Sayonara"....means good-bye.........Sayonara....

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Get a beer from a vending machine.

Tell a hot girl the following. "Sumimasen kawaii Chan, Darre desu ka?" Enjoy results.

What else....Oh yea, check out some anime and for the love of god, get a raman bowl. Soba would be a good step up...Just make sure you get soba from a soba resturant not a udon resturant.

OP
RevIV

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do appreciate the help, everyone keeps telling me about the Raman bowl.. i def. plan on getting that. Still Learning --- thank you for some of the input those are some of the things that i need. There is going to be a large ceremony over their that my instructor is invited to and i dont want to mess up any of the customs. Also we will be demonstrating at the Yasukuni Shrine being the first non-traditional stylists to ever demonstrate their. We will be doing Prof. Kimo's art of Kempo-Jutsu. And dont you worry Beau_Safken if there are beers in the vending machines then i will be next to a vending machine.
In Peace
Jesse

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't you worry man...They pretty much have anything that will suit your fancy in vending machines over there...Including used ladies underwear. Can't say much for being useful, but hey its there. Get a nice tall sapporo...Little Toro sushi...and sample some sake in the wood box...sooo goooddd

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
Get a beer from a vending machine.

Tell a hot girl the following. "Sumimasen kawaii Chan, Darre desu ka?" Enjoy results.

What else....Oh yea, check out some anime and for the love of god, get a raman bowl. Soba would be a good step up...Just make sure you get soba from a soba resturant not a udon resturant.

I don't know how to break this to you, but they are or already have done away with the beer vending machines.

As for the language - Pimsleurs japanese language course is a very good program. I beleive they come on both CD and cassette.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One more thing? Japan is a very crowded country. Homes and apartments are very small. Many of the rooms in the house doubles as living room,dinning room and bedroom. Most apartments the kitchen are very narrow.

When visiting on trains/ buses...the crowds will be pushing each other to get on and off....expect this...be nice. Also the food serve at train stations are some of the safest and best places to eat. (the Japanese government monitors them very well) and NO food vender wants to lose their business at the train stations.

Benjo( not sure of spelling) means toilet. Many times in public and on trains the men and women share the same facility. Expect this and do not be shame. Even the bath houses.

Japan is consider a very safe country to walk around day or nights. My Aunty who was visiting a relative took them out to lunch...she was told to leave her package on the sidewalk outside..she did and had a hard time eating..worried someone will take the goods. NO one did...custom?

Don't forget to convert your American dollar to YEN? and learn the value too. A 1000 yen may equal to $10.00 appox. and 10,000 yen may equal to $100.00 approx, . I had haven't check the money exchange for a while...learn this.

Also learn how much you can bring back from Japan...the import taxes/tarffs and you must go thru customs....Aloha

Latest Discussions