10th Planet Jiujitsu

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've read Eddie Bravo's books, watched his videos, and played around a little bit with some of the ideas from those, but I've never had the chance to work with anyone who is directly trained in the 10th Planet system. I was planning on attending an Eddie Bravo seminar a few months ago, but I came down with a bad bug that weekend.

Based on what I've seen, it seems like a worthwhile exploration of the BJJ problem space. I like the half-guard system. The top game seems interesting. I have some issues with the Rubber Guard. It seems attribute-dependent. It tangles the bottom person up with the top person so that a rapid emergency exit is impractical. It keeps the bottom person square instead of searching for a superior angle. As others have mentioned, I prefer the Williams guard.

All those opinions are tentative and subject to revision whenever I finally get the chance to work firsthand with someone who is expert in the system. I'm still hoping to meet Bravo at some point. He seems so enthusiastic about BJJ that I am confident I would enjoy talking with him.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've read Eddie Bravo's books, watched his videos, and played around a little bit with some of the ideas from those, but I've never had the chance to work with anyone who is directly trained in the 10th Planet system. I was planning on attending an Eddie Bravo seminar a few months ago, but I came down with a bad bug that weekend.

Based on what I've seen, it seems like a worthwhile exploration of the BJJ problem space. I like the half-guard system. The top game seems interesting. I have some issues with the Rubber Guard. It seems attribute-dependent. It tangles the bottom person up with the top person so that a rapid emergency exit is impractical. It keeps the bottom person square instead of searching for a superior angle. As others have mentioned, I prefer the Williams guard.

All those opinions are tentative and subject to revision whenever I finally get the chance to work firsthand with someone who is expert in the system. I'm still hoping to meet Bravo at some point. He seems so enthusiastic about BJJ that I am confident I would enjoy talking with him.

I do enjoy some of their transitions, and their half guard play is pretty damn good. If anyone saw the rematch between Bravo and Royler Gracie at Metamoris 3, you'll see just how potent that half guard game is. He effectively shut down and frustrated one of the best Gracie Jj players in the world, and the only reason Gracie didn't get his leg popped off was because the Gracies made some shady rules in the outset.

If you ever meet Bravo, make sure you bring some brownies. ;)

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
A bit of thread necromancy here, my apologies.

As for Bravo, he is obviously an incredibly talented practitioner and I think innovation is good all around. My only real thoughts on his BJJ are: 1) it seems to be getting pretty far away from real world self-defense to me, and that is what it was supposed to be; and, 2) his claims that people should stop training Gi and focus on No Gi (most of the guys dominating the No Gi game are Gi guys, so that doesn't really add up).

SuperSnakeCrane87

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on this style of Jiujitsu? I listen to Joe Rogan's podcasts quite a bit, and Eddie Bravo is on there quite a bit promoting the system.

Their names are pretty strange, and they seem pretty reliant on the Rubber Guard, which I think is highly limited.

However, I do like their no-gi stuff, and their push to make it more applicable for MMA.

I have not rolled with every 10th Planet practitioner, but in general from what I've experienced its a much more casual setting for sport based fighting, attitude wise. Some of the words for the moves border on hate speech.

Physically speaking I think 10th Planet style is known for its flexibility, unorthodox positions, and submissions.

Latest Discussions