10th Planet Jiujitsu

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on this style of Jiujitsu? I listen to Joe Rogan's podcasts quite a bit, and Eddie Bravo is on there quite a bit promoting the system.

Their names are pretty strange, and they seem pretty reliant on the Rubber Guard, which I think is highly limited.

However, I do like their no-gi stuff, and their push to make it more applicable for MMA.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on this style of Jiujitsu? I listen to Joe Rogan's podcasts quite a bit, and Eddie Bravo is on there quite a bit promoting the system.

Their names are pretty strange, and they seem pretty reliant on the Rubber Guard, which I think is highly limited.

However, I do like their no-gi stuff, and their push to make it more applicable for MMA.
Great bunch of people, even with the pot smoking. Great ground game, lots of tournament success....it requires a bit too much flexibility for most people my age (though not me!)

In the end, it's still BJJ, albeit with some good adjustments for no-gi....that is to say, it's still Basically Just Judo.

Hardly ever see anyone rolling against a guy with a fake knife in BJJ, but I have in a coupla 10th Planet studios....

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I played around with some guys from 10th Planet. It was fun, I liked it. I liked the rubber guard, used it some against people my size and it served me well, but didn't train it long enough and had trouble against people who were a lot stronger.

I like Rogan's podcasts, too. He's been training 10th Planet for a long time now. There's a great interview with Rickson Gracie and Eddie Bravo if you haven't seen it. Couple hours long, but I thought it was great.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great bunch of people, even with the pot smoking. Great ground game, lots of tournament success....it requires a bit too much flexibility for most people my age (though not me!)

In the end, it's still BJJ, albeit with some good adjustments for no-gi....that is to say, it's still Basically Just Judo.

Hardly ever see anyone rolling against a guy with a fake knife in BJJ, but I have in a coupla 10th Planet studios....

Yeah, basically just Judo with the added bonus of leg locks, leg attacks, no-gi grappling, etc... :rolleyes:

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I played around with some guys from 10th Planet. It was fun, I liked it. I liked the rubber guard, used it some against people my size and it served me well, but didn't train it long enough and had trouble against people who were a lot stronger.

I like Rogan's podcasts, too. He's been training 10th Planet for a long time now. There's a great interview with Rickson Gracie and Eddie Bravo if you haven't seen it. Couple hours long, but I thought it was great.

Yeah, that was a good interview. Rickson is definitely one of my heroes of the sport.

As for the Rguard, I prefer the Shawn Williams Guard instead. However, word through the grapevine is that Eddie barred it from his system for whatever reason (probably because its a superior guard). I think the SWGuard is a lot better, and safer. You don't run the risk of ripping your knee apart, and frankly I think it works better against larger opponents.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had never heard of the Shawn Williams guard, so I googled it. Fascinating. Can't wait to play with that.

Then I googled Eddie Bravo and Shawn Williams, seems like there's a bunch of stuff for me to look at. There goes my free time. Swell. Thanks....I think. :)

You mentioned ripping your knee apart. I had that thought, too. It didn't actually put too much pressure on my knee, at least not as much as I thought it would, but I keep feeling it would happen. A lot of the guys I work out with said it bothered theirs, except for the flexible guys. I hate flexible guys. :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Hmmm, funny-I learned all those things in judo.....'cept the leg locks, which I learned in......judo class,
All legal in competition, 80 years ago:

kani-gurami.jpeg
leglock1.jpg
leglock3.jpg
leglock3a.jpg

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

LoL! You act as if 80 years ago was 8 years ago. That's 4 generations of Judo where leg locks were illegal. Further they're also banned from randori practice, and relegated to kata which most Judoka don't even learn until they're black belts, if they learn it at all.

If a student is looking to take one or the other, I simply don't see how you could recommend Judo over Bjj given Judo's purposeful limitations. Leg locks are a pretty important part of grappling, and in modern Judo, it's almost completely ignored.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had never heard of the Shawn Williams guard, so I googled it. Fascinating. Can't wait to play with that.

Then I googled Eddie Bravo and Shawn Williams, seems like there's a bunch of stuff for me to look at. There goes my free time. Swell. Thanks....I think. :)

You mentioned ripping your knee apart. I had that thought, too. It didn't actually put too much pressure on my knee, at least not as much as I thought it would, but I keep feeling it would happen. A lot of the guys I work out with said it bothered theirs, except for the flexible guys. I hate flexible guys. :)

Yeah, the Rubber guard never worked out for me, but the SW guard did. Amazing Omoplata and Armlock set up. It also works surprisingly well against strikers in your Guard, since it takes both their arms out of play. My only caveat is that I think the Rubber Guard is a bit easier to initiate, whereas the SW guard gives you a bit more control.

And yeah, when I tried the Rguard I felt a very strong pull in my knee area, and I never tried it again. Scared the crap out of me. :arghh:

Let me know how it works out for you Buka. Glad I was able to introduce something new to your game. ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can rubber guard well but like SW Guard better. I have a lot of friends in 10th Planet and they are all good people, training hard. Eddie has come up with some very creative submissions which is a nice addition to jiujitsu.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
LoL! You act as if 80 years ago was 8 years ago. That's 4 generations of Judo where leg locks were illegal. Further they're also banned from randori practice, and relegated to kata which most Judoka don't even learn until they're black belts, if they learn it at all.

If a student is looking to take one or the other, I simply don't see how you could recommend Judo over Bjj given Judo's purposeful limitations. Leg locks are a pretty important part of grappling, and in modern Judo, it's almost completely ignored.
Depends. I keep telling you that there are dojos all over the U.S.-never mind Japan-where judo is taught just as it was when they first opened, or their first sensei started learning/teaching, more than 80 years ago.....
Seattle Dojo

http://www.nydojo.org/nyhist_1.htm

Sosuishi-Ryu JuJutsu Kai

Last edited:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a video of one of my guy's fight from 2010 where he utilized the SW Guard for a bit to stabilize the guard and then switched to a Kimura. (ie. reverse bent arm lock) There are some really tricky submissions from the SW Guard that are very hard to counter if you do not understand it well.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends. I keep telling you that there are dojos all over the U.S.-never mind Japan-where judo is taught just as it was when they first opened, or their first sensei started learning/teaching, more than 80 years ago.....
Seattle Dojo

http://www.nydojo.org/nyhist_1.htm

Sosuishi-Ryu JuJutsu Kai

A couple of Judo schools sprinkled around the world is a far cry from leg lock instruction being found in every Bjj school. Wouldn't you agree?

And how exactly is "Sosuishi-Ryu JuJutsu Kai' considered Judo?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is a video of one of my guy's fight from 2010 where he utilized the SW Guard for a bit to stabilize the guard and then switched to a Kimura. (ie. reverse bent arm lock) There are some really tricky submissions from the SW Guard that are very hard to counter if you do not understand it well.

Yeah, nice vid there. Pretty smooth transition too.

Thought it was funny how the crowd started boo'ing after a minute or so of ground fighting. The ignorant masses truly do not appreciate great grappling.:cigar:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
And how exactly is "Sosuishi-Ryu JuJutsu Kai' considered Judo?

Outside the door of the Sosuishishitsu ryu hombu in Fukuoka, there is a sign that basically says::
All sosuishitsu ryu students will practice aikido and judo"
(
Pretty sure that sign's been there for close to 80 years..... .. )

Last edited:
OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Outside the door of the Sosuishishitsu ryu hombu in Fukuoka, there is a sign that basically says::
All sosuishitsu ryu students will practice aikido and judo"
(
Pretty sure that sign's been there for close to 80 years..... .. )

Yeah, but Sosuishi-Ryu JuJutsu is a Koryu, not a form of Judo.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Yeah, but Sosuishi-Ryu JuJutsu is a Koryu, not a form of Judo.
What is it you think you're telling me that I don't know?

More to the point,given that it's a koryu that requires the practice of judo, just what kinda judo do you think they practice? Post WWII "Olympic" judo, or pre WWII fucke-'em up, leg-locks, wrist locks, dorje-and all judo?
rolling.gif

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What is it you think you're telling me that I don't know?

More to the point,given that it's a koryu that requires the practice of judo, just what kinda judo do you think they practice? Post WWII "Olympic" judo, or pre WWII fucke-'em up, leg-locks, wrist locks, dorje-and all judo?
rolling.gif

Considering that it's a classical jujutsu school, it's a pretty good chance that it's neither. More than likely some bastardized version that even lacks randori. I'd be very wary of learning Judo from a martial art that was supposedly founded in the 1600s.

That said, Bjj is pre-war Judo, whereas the vast majority of Judo taught today is post-war Judo.

Oh, and feel free to add wrist locks to the list of things you won't learn in Judo, but will learn in Bjj. :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Considering that it's a classical jujutsu school, it's a pretty good chance that it's neither. More than likely some bastardized version that even lacks randori. I'd be very wary of learning Judo from a martial art that was supposedly founded in the 1600s.

That said, Bjj is pre-war Judo, whereas the vast majority of Judo taught today is post-war Judo.

Oh, and feel free to add wrist locks to the list of things you won't learn in Judo, but will learn in Bjj. :)

Actually, the wrist-locks in BJJ mostly came from judo.

As for the judo practiced at the Sosuishitsu ryu hombu, when I was there in 1979, it was pretty much pre-war judo, like I'd been learning stateside, albeit a little less rough-except for raneori.

The aikido was Tomiki aikido, so it was (to me) kinda.....meh

-and the founding of sosuishi ryu was in the 1600s.

Latest Discussions