MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Damn! If this keeps up, Lisa'll be putting me up for a few days. :D

Watch out, ninjapenguinboygeekperson!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am so going shopping in the next couple of weeks down to Grand Forks!

:partyon:

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, those toonies I have stashed someplace really are worth $2 now. I never thought I would live to see the day. Now if I can just find all that other "funny money" I have someplace. I always end up with 10 or 15 dollars Canadian after a drive over for a donaire and just put it away because it isn't worth the bother to lose again on the regular exchange.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Economics and dollar values are such a mixed bag. Is that good or bad for America? Im shure that merchants are happy for the increase in Canadian busniess. While Americans are now probably going to make fewer larger purchases in Canada (what with all their taxes added on, I can only assume that American goods will be cheaper).

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
While Americans are now probably going to make fewer larger purchases in Canada (what with all their taxes added on, I can only assume that American goods will be cheaper).

Actually if you save the receipts and go to a regional office for the Canadian Border patrol, you can get some of those taxes back because you are not a Canadian. Ours here is about an hour away, so I just keep everything in the truck and stop by on whenever I go downstate for something.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's good for Canadians shopping in the US, bad for Canadian businesses depending on US shoppers.

Back in '02 I ended up with about $250 extra just by converting to Canadian when I went to a con in Toronto. The extra cash, helped.

The side effect is, with the exchange rate even, it's not expensive to buy Canadian. For example, a paperback book I just bought here in the US for $7.99 would cost me $9.99 in Canada. Tack on the extra taxes, and it's an extra $2.50 for the same item. Canadian stores aren't going to lower their prices just because of an exchange rate.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.xe.com/

1 USD = 0.99988 CAD

We passed the 1:1 mark for a second, next refresh had the USD back above us slightly, but we did pass the 1:1 mark today.

Look at the relationship of the USD to the EUD. Then the EUD to the British Pound, then the Pound to the CAD. As you see the Euro gaining in strength it seems the others have staid close to their relationship to each other, with the exception of the USD.

This to my limited understanding would lead me to think that things are real bad here in the USA or that things are good elsewhere and the culture/counties are tied together.

I jokingly was talking about this today with some Candian Friends/co-workers about how I could go to wok in Canada and make more money now. :D ;)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ron Paul on the destruction of our dollar and its effect on our standard of living. This video is coming from just a few days ago when Fed Chairman Bernanke dropped interest rates by 50 points.

I think that if more people understood just what happens in financial markets, they would not tolerate their manipulation by a private for profit organization.

Cutting rates like this creates more money and causes inflation. This destroys the buying power of the dollar and drives the middle class ever closer to poverty.

The fact that our dollar has fallen so low that it has reached parity with the Canadian dollar should raise an alarm for all Americans. Here's why. I'm a teacher. I've researched living overseas and I have studied the various salaries teachers get paid in other countries.

A few years ago, a beginning teacher would make about 30k starting. In Canada, because the dollar was weaker, a new teacher could expect to make substantially more then that. In places where I was looking 45K wasn't out of the question.

Now, imagine we suddenly bring our dollar to parity with Canada. The standard of living you could afford at 30k is now only affordable at 45k. How many Americans, do you think, have gotten 15k raises in the last six months?

That is how all of this is eroding the middle class and its a shame that hardly anyone is paying attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions