Your martial objective?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is an interesting question. I'm not sure I have an objective. The journey is far more interesting to me than the destination. Perhaps it is because I started training in Martial Arts at a later age.

I intend to continue training and learning as long as my health will permit it; hopefully all the remaining days of my life. I don't know what that will equate to in terms of rank.

Although I have learned to appreciate and strive for higher belt ranking inside my style (Isshin-Ryu), I do not see that as an 'objective' in an of itself. After all, in my style, the highest dan ranks are based not just on testing, but on time in training. I simply don't have sufficient time left to me to obtain 30 or 40 years of experience necessary to reach higher than about 3rd or 4th dan. That's OK. If I was driven to reach something I could not physically reach, that would be a bother to me; but I find that it is not.

One of my objectives has been met, but continues to be improved; and that is to tend to my health. Since one does not gain 'fitness' and then stop working and keep it, I must continue to train or I do not get to keep the benefits of fitness.

Another of my objectives has been to give me a deeper confidence in my ability to defend myself, since self-defense was certainly one of my goals when I started training. I could be mistaken; perhaps I am fooling myself; but it seems to me that now when I spar, the punches and kicks coming toward me are slower - it's like I can see them coming and DO something about them in some cases. When I started, I just got pummeled with blows I could not see coming, mostly. I'm still not fast enough responding, but it seems that I can at least see what's coming and think clear-headedly while sparring ("Here comes the attack, get ready, slip the punch, get inside, counterpunch" and etc).

So I guess you could say that my 'martial objectives' are a moving set of goals. Some I will reach; and then hopefully set the bar higher and keep striving. Some are objectives I will never reach, but it won't stop me trying.

Mostly, my martial goal is to keep moving on the path. The path never ends.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the highest level objective with-in the framework of your martial skill if it were that it had to be utilized?

Since you included the caveat "if it were to be utilized" I presume you mean what our highest level objective would be is we had to defend ourselves (unless by "utilized" you mean putting into practice in our daily lives the lessons we learn through training). If this is the case, my "highest level objective" would be to effectively defend myself against an aggressor. This assumes that the options of avoiding a conflict have been tried and failed, of course.

I guess I'm a little unclear about the wording of your question, but that could just be me being obtuse :)

Pax,

Chris

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
To see my enemies driven before me and to hear the lamentations of their women... if it came to that. :)

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
my martial objective is to learn all the self defence techniques in my art of brazilian jiu jitsu and to become a martial arts instructor so i could unite martial arts instructors, parents, teachers, and the police to put an end to bullying because too many people and youth teens have suffered the wrath of bullying and have killed themselves in the process just to get away.

i am currently a orange belt in bjj and i am a new member of this social network. i believe the only way we can stop bullying is through education. i am also taking a self defence class which is a mixture of bjj and kickboxing so i can improve my self defence techniques and im a leadership student at extreme martial arts and im doing that because that is the only way i can become a martial arts instructor.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the highest level objective with-in the framework of your martial skill if it were that it had to be utilized?

Extinguish life.

Hey, you asked. There are numerous others but the highest one, there it is.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Good question, framed such that practitioners of different levels and at different stages of the journey will see different things and will respond with different answers.

For me, my highest level objective is to use my martial skill to lead a long, healthy fruitful life, free of pain or disease, and to help others achieve the same.

In my office and at my house, I have calligraphy from GM LEE Won Kuk, founder of the Chung Do Kwan, which reads in Hanmoon, "Hwal In Taekwondo". This translates into "life giving Taekwondo" or "Taekwondo for long life". This is reflective of GM Lee's philosophy that Taekwondo should be a vehicle to lead a long, happy life and to help others lead a long, happy life.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Simply....to effectively defend myself.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
i am currently a orange belt in bjj

Orange belt in bjj? I thought the belt colors in bjj were white, blue, purple, brown, black, red, in that order. Where does orange belt fit in, and are there any other colors used by your school?

Rayban

Green Belt
Reaction score

I have to agree with Bill, it is more about the journey that the destination.

I heared this saying a while back from my Sensei (who got it off the forums i think) which pretty much sums it up for me.

"where ever I go, everyone is safer for me being there"

I first took up MA purely out of interest in the art. But as time went on and we focussed more on the street aspect of modern defence, I decided to add protection of my friends and family in there too.

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kill him before he can kill me.

Not wanting to put misunderstand you;
Are you stating that if you had to utilize your martial skill for whatever reason, your highest objective utilizing your skill is to kill? Would you be willing to expound on that objective?

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would add: 'to crush your enemies,..."
There is a training group I train with that teases with quote from Conan.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not wanting to put misunderstand you;
Are you stating that if you had to utilize your martial skill for whatever reason, your highest objective utilizing your skill is to kill? Would you be willing to expound on that objective?

I practice iaido and various forms of kenjitsu, when you swing a sword, you're swinging to kill.

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I practice iaido and various forms of kenjitsu, when you swing a sword, you're swinging to kill.

I understand the training of the sword is to kill. Within your training with the sword if you had to utilize your martial skill, for whatever reason, you would go get a sword and kill? Or, is there some other objective? I would like to think killing may be the final outcome of reaching your highest objective if need be. I hope your highest level objective in simply to kill. What if the bad guy is just attempting to intimidate you or is a foolish young person doing or saying foolish things?

Just a few thoughts.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If we are including healing as a martial skill, then I would say, my objective is to save a life.

Then again, even if we aren't including healing, then my objective is still to save a life.

Latest Discussions