Your Fighting Tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's fair game. Fighting is just sport, so if we want to look at this in terms of survival oriented 'fighting', I am in agreement, it's a different game.

Here are a few survival techniques I could use;

-Aim for inner thigh, groin, temple, sternum.
-If a punch is coming toward you, use your elbow to spike the fingers to break them.
-Kick out their knee.
-Never let them take you to the ground. If they sweep, stomp on their leg below the knee. If they try to charge and tackle, back up and stomp on them as they miss. You can also side-step and elbow to the temple. If they do get you on the ground, get up, and stomp on them as hard as possible.

The list can go on, I was just hoping to create an example which offered a format for any advice, be it sport or survival.

How about we mention one so basic we all neglect how important it is; "Breathe."

Well, first of all, as I have mentioned before, I have been in very few fights. So that is my first and best suggestion. Don't fight if possible. I have generally been able to do that by talking and ensuring a possible opponent understood it was not my intention to fight if there was any way to avoid it. We were both free to feel as good about that as we wished in our own way.

Next, never have one best good defensive move. Learn a lot and use what is most appropriate. I have learned a lot of techniques that I thought were not useful, until I really learned them.

Many of the other things you mention may be appropriate and if so, do them with gusto. Always in self defense, try to do as much damage to your opponent as possible with every move. Some of the things may work, but seem a little too simplistic. Stomp someone if the try a sweep? They must be doing it wrong. Get up from the ground and stomp? I guess that would work if you ensure they go down as part of your recovery, and stay there. IMHO, the elbow is one of the more under-rated weapons, but how do you spike with it?

One suggestion I agree with a hundred percent: breath correctly. Not everyone believes in gi. I do, and I believe that one of the most effective ways of developing gi is through proper breathing. Regardless, keeping your body oxygenated is to your advantage.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, first of all, as I have mentioned before, I have been in very few fights. So that is my first and best suggestion. Don't fight if possible. I have generally been able to do that by talking and ensuring a possible opponent understood it was not my intention to fight if there was any way to avoid it. We were both free to feel as good about that as we wished in our own way.

Next, never have one best good defensive move. Learn a lot and use what is most appropriate. I have learned a lot of techniques that I thought were not useful, until I really learned them.

Many of the other things you mention may be appropriate and if so, do them with gusto. Always in self defense, try to do as much damage to your opponent as possible with every move. Some of the things may work, but seem a little too simplistic. Stomp someone if the try a sweep? They must be doing it wrong. Get up from the ground and stomp? I guess that would work if you ensure they go down as part of your recovery, and stay there. IMHO, the elbow is one of the more under-rated weapons, but how do you spike with it?

One suggestion I agree with a hundred percent: breath correctly. Not everyone believes in gi. I do, and I believe that one of the most effective ways of developing gi is through proper breathing. Regardless, keeping your body oxygenated is to your advantage.
While the hand is a small target, spiking with the elbow is easy. Simply slide your elbow to the center and touch the back of your hand to your chest as you thrust, or poke with the elbow. Body momentum helps. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While the hand is a small target, spiking with the elbow is easy. Simply slide your elbow to the center and touch the back of your hand to your chest as you thrust, or poke with the elbow. Body momentum helps. :)

Touch my chest with the back of my hand? I'd like to see that. I'm not double-jointed, so perhaps that is why I cannot touch the center of my chest with the back of my hand. A photo or video of that would be instructive.

kodora81

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good read so far, especially for a relative novice like me. But maybe OP should distinguish whether we're talking about real life fighting or in-class sparring? I can say for a fact that my fighting will get a lot dirtier and more destructive if placed in a life or death situation.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch my chest with the back of my hand? I'd like to see that. I'm not double-jointed, so perhaps that is why I cannot touch the center of my chest with the back of my hand. A photo or video of that would be instructive.
Do an uppurcut,, and then try it by collapsing your fore-arm back toward you. They are called, inward elbows, in some States. :)
Sean

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are still thinking your way through a fight instead of being in what the Japanese call "mushin no shin" (the mind without mind),

then you haven't trained enough. Fights happen too fast to think and then act.

Combinations work very, very well when they are trained well enough. Throwing single techniques is ... beginner level martial arts.

In general: attack. But don't rush in :) Just wait for an opening or create the opening then commit to that attack.

Last edited:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's fair game. Fighting is just sport, so if we want to look at this in terms of survival oriented 'fighting', I am in agreement, it's a different game.

Here are a few survival techniques I could use;

-Aim for inner thigh, groin, temple, sternum.
-If a punch is coming toward you, use your elbow to spike the fingers to break them.
-Kick out their knee.
-Never let them take you to the ground. If they sweep, stomp on their leg below the knee. If they try to charge and tackle, back up and stomp on them as they miss. You can also side-step and elbow to the temple. If they do get you on the ground, get up, and stomp on them as hard as possible.

The list can go on, I was just hoping to create an example which offered a format for any advice, be it sport or survival.

How about we mention one so basic we all neglect how important it is; "Breathe."

No. These things you mention show a theoretical knowledge, not experience. The best advice you give is to breath. The rest has flaws, starting with looking to use specific techniques in a self defense situation. Looking to use this technique or that technique will slow down your ability to process information and react to it within the time frame needed. Also, some of these things you suggest take a very detailed technique, such as breaking fingers with an elbow. Kicking a knee can beeffective in the right circumstamce, but it has to be the right circumstance. Have you ever tried to kick someone's knee, sweep them in a fight, or elbow an incoming punch? Not as easy as it sounds and puts you in a bad position if it doesn't work. If off just a little bit, you can be the one injured AND you will put yourself in recovery mode. Not a desirable place to be.

In self defense, you must take what is given and deal with it. In my opinion, it is a huge mistake to start defining what your reaction is going to be without experiencing the input that reaction must work off of. It is like saying you will take a left hand turn in a hundred yards while driving, without ever seeing the road you are driving on.

Notice the good advice given by others is general advice. There is a reason for that :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No. These things you mention show a theoretical knowledge, not experience. The best advice you give is to breath. The rest has flaws, starting with looking to use specific techniques in a self defense situation. Looking to use this technique or that technique will slow down your ability to process information and react to it within the time frame needed. Also, some of these things you suggest take a very detailed technique, such as breaking fingers with an elbow. Kicking a knee can beeffective in the right circumstamce, but it has to be the right circumstance. Have you ever tried to kick someone's knee, sweep them in a fight, or elbow an incoming punch? Not as easy as it sounds and puts you in a bad position if it doesn't work. If off just a little bit, you can be the one injured AND you will put yourself in recovery mode. Not a desirable place to be.

In self defense, you must take what is given and deal with it. In my opinion, it is a huge mistake to start defining what your reaction is going to be without experiencing the input that reaction must work off of. It is like saying you will take a left hand turn in a hundred yards while driving, without ever seeing the road you are driving on.

Notice the good advice given by others is general advice. There is a reason for that :)
While I wouldn't advocate anyone trying to elbow a punch, punches are great targets for back knuckles. Their entire arm is the target.
Sean

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do an uppurcut,, and then try it by collapsing your fore-arm back toward you. They are called, inward elbows, in some States. :)
Sean

Oh, I see. But why? That feels absolutely ridiculous to me. :) I'd like to see an application.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I wouldn't advocate anyone trying to elbow a punch, punches are great targets for back knuckles. Their entire arm is the target.
Sean

Punches are great targets for getting out of the way of and dealing with the arm instead. Or, if one wishes to engage the punch directly, soft-hand it. A palm sweep or downward soft-block avoids knuckle-on-knuckle damage. Knuckle strikes are great for the back of the incoming fist's hand, but not the fist itself, unless that's what you mean by knuckle strike.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Punches are great targets for getting out of the way of and dealing with the arm instead. Or, if one wishes to engage the punch directly, soft-hand it. A palm sweep or downward soft-block avoids knuckle-on-knuckle damage. Knuckle strikes are great for the back of the incoming fist's hand, but not the fist itself, unless that's what you mean by knuckle strike.
Bill, I'm saying that after stepping off the line of attack, and before you are positioned for a power move, you can simply knock the back of you knuckles anywhere along the punching arm. It hurts! Look up defanging. It's awesome! :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do a step-through with that and poke one of your Karate buddies in the chest. What, aren't you at least 200 pounds? They ain't gonna like it. :)

Need to see a demo. That is just not making sense to me. And yeah, try 240. I did a shote (heel palm) strike to the chest on a new student last night, not meaning to put anything at all on it, but I dropped my weight as the palm settled onto his chest. It was actually delivered in slow motion, gently. He flew about four feet and seemed somewhat surprised when he got up. Purely accidental, I don't go around beating up new students.

But I can't picture turning my elbows out, palms into my own chest (fingers down is the only way I can manage it) and then striking like that. Looks like I have two gigantic bosoms, and no idea how to put that to use other than to wave 'em around. :)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bill, I'm saying that after stepping off the line of attack, and before you are positioned for a power move, you can simply knock the back of you knuckles anywhere along the punching arm. It hurts! Look up defanging. It's awesome! :)
Why would anyone leave their arm sticking out for the opponent to backfist? It is pretty standard to teach, at least in boxing (and with knives and swords) that the punch (thrust) comes back in as fast as it goes out, spending as close as is humanly possible to 0 time at the full extension.

I mean, it sounds good and all, but I've never seen anyone able to do it against anyone but a scrub.

Now, if you mean, just punching the bejeezies out of his arm as he has it up in a guard, well, yeah. That works great. Even with gloves.

Edit:
Or are you talking about a power-parry? Where you "forcefully" parry the incoming attack with your knuckles instead of the forearm? It's good but hard to do. Small target with a small striking surface. I know some folks who can do it, but not many.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why would anyone leave their arm sticking out for the opponent to backfist? It is pretty standard to teach, at least in boxing (and with knives and swords) that the punch (thrust) comes back in as fast as it goes out, spending as close as is humanly possible to 0 time at the full extension.

I mean, it sounds good and all, but I've never seen anyone able to do it against anyone but a scrub.

Now, if you mean, just punching the bejeezies out of his arm as he has it up in a guard, well, yeah. That works great. Even with gloves.

Edit:
Or are you talking about a power-parry? Where you "forcefully" parry the incoming attack with your knuckles instead of the forearm? It's good but hard to do. Small target with a small striking surface. I know some folks who can do it, but not many.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Well, yeah... that's what I'm saying. :) The trick is to be ready if you want to punch punches. In kenpo we called them inserts, and defanging ideas are optional after "mastering" the original tech idea. I do it all the time with people that want to play. You know, guys at work, kids, what ever. :)
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Edit:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
They don't need to leave there arm anywhere if you were laying in wait to begin with. LOL

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I consider a downward or sideways strike with the other side of the knuckles to work better for me; or simply an open hand applied the same way. The back of the hand is powerful, but it stops ki flow. Going in the direction of the attacker's punch steals their ki flow.

So the punch comes in, and whether or not I am offline, I strike down (or sideways if the punch is at my head) using the palm side of my knuckles in a loose fist in a motion that both sweeps and raps them. As the strike is delivered, it is raked from wherever it lands down the attacker's arm towards their fist. This deflects, hits multiple nerve clusters, and essentially steals their ki. The motion is away from the attacker, in the direction of their arm movement. Open-handed, it is delivered like sticky hands or a 'dead hand' as if you had a bag of lead shot and you just plopped it onto their arm and followed through, or as if you were picking up a dollar bill off the ground in one smooth motion. Aiming through their attacking arm, just continuing the motion. Done correctly, their arm is completely useless with pain and they're wondering what the heck just happened, since it's such a seemingly innocent move. This is a great way to say "are you sure you want to do this" to an attacker if you think you can educate them not to continue.

When needed, such a strike can be turned into a grab by simply opening the striking hand and grasping, then cupping the other hand under the attacker's arm. Accept his movement but redirect to your obi, then he's all yours to do with as you wish, off-balance with his face leaning in towards you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions