your favorite feints

hma123

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What are some of your personal most effective/favorite feints to use to confuse your opponent and what purpose?
Im trying to add more to my game and just wanted to see others style

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
every once in a while I like to use my back leg to spring forward and inside on my opponent - good for a straight punch to the midsection or allows me their confusion time for a variety of kicks :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
every once in a while I like to use my back leg to spring forward and inside on my opponent - good for a straight punch to the midsection or allows me their confusion time for a variety of kicks :)

If a straight punch causes confusion, I hope your dojang doesn't claim to be teaching any form of self defense.

I'm more of a counter-striker, so my "feints" usually amount to intentionally creating an opening to get my opponent to attack. There's nothing easier to stop than an attack that goes just where you want it.
When I'm being more agressive, I like to train my opponents response. I'll throw 2-3 low, hard front snap kicks to condition them to bring their hands down when my leg moves. Then pop a roundhouse to their head.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
front snap kicks?

Yes. They're really very simple. Raise your leg, so your foot is about even with the knee of your supporting leg. Aim your knee at your opponents belly. Now snap your foot out so that you smack them in the belly with the ball of your foot.

I'm suprised someone with your encylopedic knowledge of all martial arts systems ever developed would need to ask, but if you still don't understand, I recommend you find a qualified instructor to help you.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes. They're really very simple. Raise your leg, so your foot is about even with the knee of your supporting leg. Aim your knee at your opponents belly. Now snap your foot out so that you smack them in the belly with the ball of your foot.

I'm suprised someone with your encylopedic knowledge of all martial arts systems ever developed would need to ask, but if you still don't understand, I recommend you find a qualified instructor to help you.

I'm sure he knows what a front kick is^^ But why take that question personally?

I wouldn't consider kicking someone a feint. I think of a feint as some kind of motion to disguise my movement or to trigger a response (movement) from my opponent. Throwing an actual kick to bring the hands down could be effective, but I still wouldn't call it a feint.

Anyway, for me a front kick would be an unusual choice, especially the front snap kick. I don't think I've thrown a front snap in sparring, well, maybe ever. In dojangs I've trained or taught in, the front kick is pretty much never used by anyone (in sparring). I've used the same strategy you were talking about with back leg roundhouse kick, but never front kick. It would be really difficult to connect with a front kick in my dojang unless your opponent was standing against the wall or just not paying attention.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lead hand Jab tothe head. Get them to raise their arms to open the body. Lead leg kicks to the body. Get them to drop the hands to open the head. Lead leg roundhouse to the body. Get them to move theri hands forward and switdh to a lead leg hook kick to the head. Raise the lead knee to simulate a front kick and switch it to a roundhouse or hook kick.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, I have used this feint before. With a snap kick or in my case a front thrust kick. The front thrust kick was thrown deep into the opponents defense forcing them to react, but then pulling it straight back so as not to get it grabbed.
The first few times your looking to hit something hard, and mid range. The ball of the foot, with the toes pulled back, so you preserve the toes is a must.
When the thrust is done with force and intent, your opponent has (3) choices, (1) get hit, (2) move out of the way, (3) or drop one of their guard hands.
You don't want to over use this technique within the match, but somewhere within the time frame of your inter-action, when you pick your knee up, so as to throw that devastating front kick, and without hesitation, you use that knee up position to cover your midsection while you step down and forward to gap distance, and punch the he-- out of their head.
The secret is to make contact with that front kick, snap of thrust, so when you pick up that knee, they are convinced that you are committed.
The above is a basic feint technique taught early on in training. :)

Also a good analogy above DD, thanks.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anything that makes your next strike easier to execute. Like, kicking low then punching high. Theres no static methods that will work better than finding what works for you, and what will appropriately distract your opponent (Or whatever it is youre trying to achieve)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure he knows what a front kick is^^ But why take that question personally?

I wouldn't consider kicking someone a feint. I think of a feint as some kind of motion to disguise my movement or to trigger a response (movement) from my opponent. Throwing an actual kick to bring the hands down could be effective, but I still wouldn't call it a feint.

Anyway, for me a front kick would be an unusual choice, especially the front snap kick. I don't think I've thrown a front snap in sparring, well, maybe ever. In dojangs I've trained or taught in, the front kick is pretty much never used by anyone (in sparring). I've used the same strategy you were talking about with back leg roundhouse kick, but never front kick. It would be really difficult to connect with a front kick in my dojang unless your opponent was standing against the wall or just not paying attention.

The purpose of the low kicks is to condition a response, or, as you wrote, "trigger a response". You might think of it as a feint with the added bonus of generating points. It's pretty easy to block the low kicks, (although they do get in occassionally, perhaps in part because it IS such a rarely used kick), but they still have to be blocked. And it is suprising how quickly you can condition someone to expect a particular movement to result in a particular strike. And since the chamber for the front kick and the roundhouse start out the same, the conditioned response is even more likely to be effective.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Exactly. Front snap kick is right up there with spinning crescent kick on the use meter. Too many weaknesses and liabilities.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The purpose of the low kicks is to condition a response, or, as you wrote, "trigger a response". You might think of it as a feint with the added bonus of generating points. It's pretty easy to block the low kicks, (although they do get in occassionally, perhaps in part because it IS such a rarely used kick), but they still have to be blocked.

No it doesn't have to be blocked. Someone who front snap kicks will get padduh chagi to the body or face in response.

And it is suprising how quickly you can condition someone to expect a particular movement to result in a particular strike. And since the chamber for the front kick and the roundhouse start out the same, the conditioned response is even more likely to be effective.

The chamber for front snap kick is not the same as a roundhouse; it is the same for rear leg ax kick.On roundhouse kick, the knee does not come straight forward like a front snap kick or least I do not do it that way. My knee cuts an angle, and does not go straight forward. If you do it that way, point the knee forward, it will be difficult to put your hip behind the kick.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like feints that are strikes. If it suckers them, good. If not, then let it hurt them. If I throw a jab, I throw it with bad intent. If they fall for it and block, then my next shot goes to the open spot. If they don't, then that jab is gonna have em spittin' chicklets.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you mean that moving inside caused confusion? Also seems odd. If that's not what you meant, perhaps you could elaborate.

Obviously, I didn't mean that moving inside caused confusion...The opening post asked for our "personal favorite feints"....short of actually sparring you, I'll do my best to elaborate....as I'm countering, if I notice my opponent is starting to telegraph or appears to be figuring out their next move..I'll use my back leg to vault myself forward and inside - and from there I am able to get in a clean kick or straight punch...Note, this is not merely stepping inside - which, granted - would not cause confusion..this is a straight launch (about 3 feet) - it's quick and most importantly, it works for me and is and has been effective...and since the post asked for our personal favorites - this is mine, I thought of it..I use it and it works for me...Further, and for that reason - ANY disrespect toward my dojang is not appreciated.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lead hand Jab tothe head. Get them to raise their arms to open the body.

This tells me that your comfortable pre-engagement distance is standing in reachable distance. Put another way, if you tried this feint against someone well trained in the modern competition training methods, he would stand there in front of you, his arms down, and wouldn't react, because he would be at unreachable kicking distance, much farther than reachable punching distance. Or prior to you doing your lead jab, you would be lumbering or inching your way in and he would off the line you before you got to your comfortable sparring distance. And he would do that over and over to you to the point where you would: a) if it were a light contact situation, you would get very frustrated and mad; or b) if it were a full contact situation, you would get very frustrated and afraid.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like feints that are strikes. If it suckers them, good. If not, then let it hurt them. If I throw a jab, I throw it with bad intent. If they fall for it and block, then my next shot goes to the open spot. If they don't, then that jab is gonna have em spittin' chicklets.
Exactly, air kicking or striking will do nothing. The technique should be deep with intent. The next time I product the beginning of that technique, that is the feint, but, don't wait for the opening, but instead fire the second technique.

Side note, this is all dojo sparring games. Street, no feints, you're throwing for the real deal...........

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No it doesn't have to be blocked. Someone who front snap kicks will get padduh chagi to the body or face in response.

The chamber for front snap kick is not the same as a roundhouse; it is the same for rear leg ax kick.On roundhouse kick, the knee does not come straight forward like a front snap kick or least I do not do it that way. My knee cuts an angle, and does not go straight forward. If you do it that way, point the knee forward, it will be difficult to put your hip behind the kick.

Shockingly, your way is not the only way.